PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Tennis Elbow?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tennis Elbow?

Post by itlives on Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:06 pm

I've been dealing with this stupid elbow ever since we had the pull-up challenge. I don't know if I have tennis elbow or what.
It hurts right on the inside elbow bone. Not the bone you would knock someone out with but the one that if you hold your arm out with palm up, it's the one on the inside. I really hurts bad right now and has for a while.  I can use my STEM machine at night and it feels ok the next day until I do something hard.
For example, the "something hard" today was lifting a tire up to put on a truck. It's more the angle I stress it than anything else.
So, question is, do I have tennis elbow? I can't feel it in any connecting tissue, just right on the bone.

OK, I did some you toobing after I posed the question. I'm going to leave this up because I'm sure I'm not the only one with GOLFERS ELBOW or medial epicondylitis. And even if I am the only one with it now, that will probably change. Here's a good video on it.
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Re: Tennis Elbow?

Post by johnnyD on Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:46 pm

I've had the same thing on and off for a while but exacerbated by the pull up challenge last October !!
At one point lifting a plate into the cupboard was painful !!
I found that things have got better with wrist exercising, general arm mobility including arm straightening and recently I have found doing sharp pulls on a post or upright, gently at first and working up the intensity also seems to help. Also NG pull ups are a lot better too.
johnnyD
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:44 pm

Weird. I'd just suggest working all related weak points--I mean ALL of them. Rotator cuffs, rear delts. Do shoulder and tricep stretching and foam rolling. Moderate to high rep band pushdowns and band hammer curls (if you have bands). Extensor work for your fingers. Resisted pronation and supination of your hand. And in the meantime, take it easy (or off) on pullups and anything else that bothers it.

This is the time to specialize on squats and deads and quarter-mile sets of lunges and hill sprints and get the lower body of a centaur--you know you've secretly always wanted to!
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:17 pm

I've had similar elbow problems when working rediculous amounts of volume.   My elbows of a late have never felt better when working Fighter Pullups and max sets without overdoing the volume.

When you get back into the Pullups again might be worth considering.
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:57 pm

Journeyman wrote:This is the time to specialize on squats and deads and quarter-mile sets of lunges and hill sprints and get the lower body of a centaur--you know you've secretly always wanted to!

:twisted:  x 2 ! ! :twisted: 
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:15 pm

Thanks guys, Jmans advice is what I had in mind.

He's right on all counts!

I'll look into the fighter program after I get back to pulling.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:06 am

I've started using dit da jow on my cranky elbow. Too soon to say if it's working yet.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:08 am

6 grams of Fish Oil a day does the trick for me.
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:21 am

Cheesedog wrote:I've started using dit da jow on my cranky elbow.  Too soon to say if it's working yet.

Dit da jow does increase blood flow. I'll start up, too. I have some real good stuff. Don't know why I didn't think about that, maybe because I've only used it for bruises.

Rasta- I think it's gone on too long for that. But, I was taking krill oil and ran out. I need to get that too.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:16 pm

Speaking from 4x golfer's elbow experience... (been dealing with the latest bout for ~6 months)

1. Fish Oil - 5-10 GRAMS (not pills) per day, initially.
2. LAY OFF anything that hurts. Even if it just feels 'weird' - lay off.
3. Get some ART or learn some self-massage and trigger points for the following areas: pronator teres, triceps, biceps, wrist flexors, lats - to name a few. Those are probably the biggest trouble spots to take care off. The absolute 3 minimum - pronator teres, wrist flexors, triceps.
4. Also, how are your shoulder mechanics? If they're faulty (for instance, I have trouble with upward rotation because my lats take over the other muscles), that could be causing problems down the kinetic chain. So take a vid of your back doing something like push-ups/push-ups "plus", and all the other ROMs and send the video to someone smarter than you (bret contreras, tony gentilcore, mike robertson all come to mind here) and see if they can give you a response.
5. Since any pulling movement is likely out of the equation, experiment with something like really long negatives (like, 10s-60s).
6. Read anything and everything that K-Starr has about this. Flushing blood to the area is never going to be a bad thing. Most likely what you have is actually tendiNOSIS, meaning there is NO inflammatory response, and your tendon is degenerating. Flushing blood to the area will stimulate some inflammation and can help kickstart some healing.

Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:48 pm

^ And definitely listen and do anything Josh says about this, haha.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:19 am

Good advice from J-man and Josh!

I was taking L-glutemine and I think it was helping.  I ran out but just got some today so I'm back on it.

EDIT:

If you try it, make sure you take it on an empty stomach.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:19 am

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I've been working the trigger point and liniment but haven't got any supplements yet. I'll get them this weekend.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:56 pm

Dig around the forearm muscles (i.e. trigger points) and stretch them - that's the only thing that helped me, and I fancy myself something of a golfer's elbow veteran. Never doing high rep pullups also helps.
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:06 am

Thanks Fats. I've been real aggressive with the trigger points to the point those muscles are sore. Stretching them feels good but I stop at the point I feel the stretch right at the bone.
I think part of the problem comes from just dealing with the hurt instead of doing something about it. I'm to the doing part now.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:44 am

itlives wrote:Thanks Fats. I've been real aggressive with the trigger points to the point those muscles are sore.
Just make sure that you don't create new knots in the forearms by kneading the old knots too frequently and binding up the muscles.

Whenever you find a solution, life finds a way to defeat you.
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:53 am

Yeah, I found that out. The knots seem to move about. I'm all over it though!

I'm wrapping up my elbow to workout, then doing therapy after. It seems to be working. The bone is not sore to the touch anymore.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:37 am

itlives wrote:It seems to be working. The bone is not sore to the touch anymore.
That's a good sign. My elbow bones used to be so sore just rubbing the area would make me about hit the ceiling. After lots of negatives, stretching, and some of the stuff K-starr teaches the pain in the bones is gone, although it's still in the muscle and trigger points. So keep on putting in the rehab work!
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:57 am

I will! I have one of my wife's old Trigger Point balls (she got a "new and improved" one). I take it everywhere. Everywhere? Yes, everywhere!

It's good to hear someone else has had this, and gotten over it. When the bone hurts, it bad!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:29 am

Not sure if you're already doing this, but if you do a lot of pullups you should consider investing in some gymnastic rings. I have recently switched to ring pullups and my elbow pain has all but cleared. Straight-bar and even neutral-grip pullups tend to massacre my elbows.
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:33 am

Yeah, I got some rings a while back. I use them almost exclusively. I really like them and think they are the only reason I can still do pulls. My pain has gone enough that I forget my rehab stuff some days. It's not completely gone though...
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:22 pm

Sorry late to the party - really late.
I was trying to find suggestions prior to experiencing any discomfort. Last year's pull up challenge made me sore. So now that I will be doing pull ups daily. I want to be proactive.
thanks
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top