PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Strength vs Size vs Endurance

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Strength vs Size vs Endurance

Post by Dave on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:51 pm

Journeyman wrote:It's not so much that conditioning will help with strength (though when you get to a certain bodyweight, being able to walk to a loaded barbell without sitting down on the way probably helps) but building strength-endurance, or a sort of work capacity with the strength you do have.... It really is all about base building, whether it's via increased frequency, or volume.
In other words, you're really just saying "Keep doing hard stuff, but do it more" :eyebrows: 
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:04 pm

Not so much... you have to create a base and then peak properly. Which is extremely difficult to do if you aren't a professional athlete training under controlled conditions.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:10 pm

We need to be like TREES!!!!!!!!! Strong as Oak, Naturally Big, Endures all Weathers, and all that comes from solid foundations!
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:28 pm

Journeyman wrote:270 pound fat guys of average height should be pulling 700, not maxing out the calf machine and then strutting up and down to examine their bellies in the mirror.
270 lb. fat guys should be working on becoming 250-lb. guys, then 220-lb. guys, not fretting over 700-lb. deadlifts OR calf work.

I'm all for half squats, shrugs and concentration curls if they produce the desired physique effect.
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:37 pm

True.

There's a difference between squats done with 'knee flexion only' and a legit half or quarter squat from the pins. Just as there's a difference between heavy concentration curls (or even kickbacks) and burnout sets with 15s. And shrugs with 405 are nothng to be impressed about if the lifter doing them is a soft 250+ himself.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:01 am

Journeyman wrote:And shrugs with 405 are nothng to be impressed about if the lifter doing them is a soft 250+ himself.
Yes, but the guy doing shrugs probably isn't looking to impress people around him with the weight. He wants them to be 'mirin his traps.
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominator350 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:20 pm

A lot of the people I trained with couldn't get over how I trained when I was at a gym. I would insist on 1-4 reps for powerlifting and olympic lifting, then and speed, in the form of burpees, shadowboxing, heavybag, . Two polar opposites, but it makes sense, in the end you get bone crushing power with lighting speed right?

Well everyone didn't see it that way. They would mix semi heavy lifting with endurance training, it was a killer workout, but not the athletic quality I was looking for. I'm a believer in testing opposing limits.

Heavy weights make you slow...? So if you're going to lift, lift the heaviest. Might just as well.

And if you're going to work on speed, move the fastest you possibly can. Don't just half ass it.

These two qualities oppose each other, and at the same time serve to enhance your range of athleticism. Hence, they seem to build endurance.

Dominator350
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:31 pm

Dominator wrote:These two qualities oppose each other, and at the same time serve to enhance your range of athleticism. Hence, they seem to build endurance.
I won't argue against this. But some specific endurance training is still called for. I mostly do Oly style lifting lately and I did my first murph yesterday in 45 minutes. But I know that I need to do more murphs (or similar endurance/conditioning style training) to get a meaningfully better time.

Dominator350 wrote:Heavy weights make you slow...?
Hahaha, as if! Poor technique might make you slow, but there is an explosive component to the bench, squat and dead if you focus on it. And let's not even start talking about Oly lifting. If anything heavy weights make you heavier and being heavier (without also having more strength or power) will make you slower.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominator350 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:18 pm

Dave wrote:
Dominator wrote:These two qualities oppose each other, and at the same time serve to enhance your range of athleticism. Hence, they seem to build endurance.
I won't argue against this.  But some specific endurance training is still called for.  I mostly do Oly style lifting lately and I did my first murph yesterday in 45 minutes.  But I know that I need to do more murphs (or similar endurance/conditioning style training) to get a meaningfully better time.

Dominator350 wrote:Heavy weights make you slow...?
Hahaha, as if!  Poor technique might make you slow, but there is an explosive component to the bench, squat and dead if you focus on it.  And let's not even start talking about Oly lifting.  If anything heavy weights make you heavier and being heavier (without also having more strength or power) will make you slower.
Hahaha I know, and I respect your stance on this issue. I am still loitering around the edge, constantly waiting to accept new statistics.

However I will never forget the summer when I was 26/27, no weights(except labouring at work) all summer, and I was real fast dude. Like I know when I'm slow or kinda slower. I'm realllly slow right now. But yeah I was a speed maniac when I was 26. Fastest I've been all my life.

On the other hand, ULTIMATELY I would choose to handle any type of heavy weight exercise if it came down to it, just because of the other benefits besides speed... like power, and durability, shock absorption, and general handling of external weight.

Dominator350
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:50 pm

So rather than think about what you've added since you were 26, I would ask this:  What did you remove?  Because I do suspect that moving heavy loads on a regular basis, plus speed specific work will be optimal.  The heavy lifting doesn't have to be 3 days a week, and for a fighter I would imagine once a week would be fine with squats one week and deads the next or something like that, in order to avoid burnout.  Then you spend the rest of the week refining and channeling that raw power and strength into your speed - scary.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top