PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Resveratrol

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Resveratrol

Post by ranger_x3 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:11 pm

I first learned about this supplement back in 2010 or 2011 I believe, but I couldn't find enough research behind it to justify buying it. T-nation had an article about their supplement of it last week which had a lot of information I hadn't read about before. After hours poring over research on scholar.google.com to read articles about it the health benefits themselves are enough reason for me to take it. I'll edit this post later with links to the articles I was looking at because I still have the tabs open at work, but I can't seem to find them right now.

I'm testing it out with a 350mg dosage per day. While this might not be the most you can get per serving on the market, most of the human trials (creepy sounding) used 150mg and less except when testing for potential side effects of overdosing, which is really hard to do. Of what I could get at the store, it was the more cost effective option, with the addition of some probiotics and fruit/vegetable extracts that the other offerings didn't have. I haven't found any articles for human supplementation that last longer than a month, so I guess I'm guinea pigging that, though the rodent testing was done for up to 15 weeks in some cases.

If you guys have questions after I post the links to articles I'll see what I can do to answer them.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Re: Resveratrol

Post by ranger_x3 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:08 pm

Articles

Higher VO2 Max, Higher mitochondrial activity (power plants of cells), Improved Insulin Sensitivity
here

Genes for mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation upregulated (cardiovascular improvement) genes for inflammation downregulated
here

Health benefits related to cancer, antiviral properties, cardiovascular disease, diabetes...
here

Benefits of use while training for endurance (key points listed on first page)
here

I'm still looking for an article about what benefits it brings to people strictly strength training. It does provide the benefits of cardiovascular training without actually training for it, but I'm curious if there's more of a performance benefit than that.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:14 am

I'm still taking this once a day.

For the first couple weeks I felt a difference. My easy-going, minimum effort pace for running dropped from 7:30+ to about 7:10 per mile without any change in training volume/intensity. Longer efforts like what I did in the 200 mile relay I finished tired, but I wasn't dying until I finished my last leg, which happened to be my fastest despite the major lack of sleep and having already raced 14+ miles in the previous 14 hours.

Even that last 5k I did before taking a couple weeks off I noticed it. My first mile in 5:02 felt hard, but not hard enough that I had gone out too fast. The next 2 miles in 5:36 and 5:37 were a result of not preparing well enough to be racing in spikes so my body defaulted to a more threshold pace instead of the pace I should have been running. After the race was over I felt like I had done a hard effort, but nothing close to the feeling I get after a hard race.

Now, almost 2 weeks in after 2 weeks away from running I feel like I'm getting back into shape much faster than I usually do. After 9 days of running I was able to drop 10-15 seconds a mile on an easy run pace and on the treadmill yesterday I was running steady for a mile at 6:39. I usually expect this process to take 2-3 weeks, especially when I'm including as much lifting as I am right now.

For lifting I'm not sure what I should be looking for. Except for the past couple months I haven't ever been this heavy when training so the extra muscle is helping me set pr's more than anything else. Maybe having a more efficient aerobic system helps recovery in between sets, or just overall recovery in general.

Back squats in particular, my previous pr for 4x10, set back in 2011 when I was about 134-136# I did 125# with pauses between reps. I attempted the same workout with 135# but I couldn't get all the reps. I was also running very little at the time, a mile a most per day because I was in the mindset that I didn't need mileage to train for the events I ran in track. Now, fluctuating between 145-149# I did 4x10 at 135# without pauses between reps when the day before I ran 10.5 miles and the previous week was 32 miles.

I have somewhere around 7-10 pills left and I've only missed one day since I started taking it so I'm almost 2 months in. I'll post another update once I start doing speed workouts/racing in January.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum