PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Electrician stuff (need help)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Electrician stuff (need help)

Post by MF! on Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:51 am

Just need some quick advice from any handyman/electrician out there.

The place I'm at is an old house and is wired old school, 2 pronged outlets with no ground cable. I found this out when I asked the landlord to switch up outlets to a 3 pronged outlet, which I'm currently using. I've been trying to do as much research as I can about this, but I'm still confused and need some third and fourth opinions from anyone that might have the knowledge...

1) am I ok to use the new 3 pronged outlet with just the "hot" and "neutral" wire and no grounding wire?
2) does using a GFCI outlet (w/o ground) provide that much safety?
3) if i use a surge protector power bar (currently what I'm doing) on the regular 3 pronged outlet w/o ground, will I be as safe as if i was using a GFCI?
4) does a surge protected power + GFCI outlet (w/o ground) = maximum safety?

most of my info is coming from wikipedia and this link (below). any info would be really helpful

http://www.handymanusa.com/articles/ground1.html
MF!
Adept
Adept

http://traceurversusbboy.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Electrician stuff (need help)

Post by Brahma Bill on Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:09 am

Are you worried about getting shocked? or just trying to protect your electronics?

1. yes
2. yes - if there's a problem it will trip - you need the GFI in wet areas - the bathrooms and kitchen
3. The GFI won't protect against a power surge.
4. Depends, The surge protector will protect your electronics from a power surge. The GFI will protect you from getting "bit" if there's a fault.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by MF! on Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:35 pm

I'm more worried about getting shocked and/or causing a fire hazard. There are times where I leave stuff plugged in overnight or during the day (i.e. my computer) and I didn't want to put the house at risk if it was unattended. Also don't want to be shocked while using my my gear.

Would you say its still worth it to make the change over to the GFI?
MF!
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:52 pm

MF! wrote:I'm more worried about getting shocked and/or causing a fire hazard. There are times where I leave stuff plugged in overnight or during the day (i.e. my computer) and I didn't want to put the house at risk if it was unattended. Also don't want to be shocked while using my my gear.

Would you say its still worth it to make the change over to the GFI?
The electronics should be OK if you get a good surge protector (we're talking about the ones with a guarantee, not a power strip, they run about $30.00 at the hardware store)

Definitely get a GFI in the wet areas. As far as fire hazard goes, it depends more on the wiring itself than the grounding or lack there of.

Does the house have fuses? Or does it have a breaker box?
Is it copper wiring or aluminum?
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:52 pm

American electrics sound so different to uk electrics, im a qualified electrician and i know nothing of GFI's :p the house should generally have a fuse or breaker as B Bill said, so that should protect you from anything bad. i only know about RCB or MCB or MRCB's lol
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:34 pm

GFI = Ground Fault Interruptor - the outlet itself has a reset switch and will kick out if it shorts or gets wet. Over here you have to have one if an outlet is within five feet of a sink. Like every thing else, you've probably got a different name for it, hard to believe it's the same language sometimes
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:39 pm

MF, I should add that although I'm a licensed contractor, I'm not a licensed electrician.
If you still don't have a warm fuzzy feeling you should call an electrician in.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:05 pm

MCB we call that
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by MF! on Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:39 pm

Bill: many thanks. I've already picked up the GFI but was waiting for opinions before I switched it up. I'm not sure what the wiring is made of (pretty sure i didnt see copper), I think I'll just keep it as is. I've already hassled the guy for so much, and if installing a GFI doesnt make a huge amount of difference then I'll just save the cash i guess. I have a feeling that the other outlets around the house are likely equipped the same way, so I wont fret about it.
MF!
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by GreekPT on Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:30 am

Yo you MF! This probably isn't the right place to post this but it's the most current thread you have going and I don't want you to miss this. Maybe you've seen it already.

WARNING - music has language which is offensive (to some).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIsWcjh5DeE&feature=youtu.be

GreekPT
Wanted for Chococide
Wanted for Chococide

Back to top Go down

Post by MF! on Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:02 am

GreekPT wrote:Yo you MF!  This probably isn't the right place to post this but it's the most current thread you have going and I don't want you to miss this.  Maybe you've seen it already.

WARNING - music has language which is offensive (to some).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIsWcjh5DeE&feature=youtu.be
yep i've seen this.... russians have most of us beat. *welp*
MF!
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by MF! on Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:03 am

btw greek i might start up a new training log. going to be starting a new program soon, just tryna decide which one I want to follow.
MF!
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top