PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Our Training Highs and Lows for 2013 So Far

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Our Training Highs and Lows for 2013 So Far

Post by Dave on Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:41 pm

I had a few successes but also allowed myself to get injured too many times. It'd be interesting to see a recap of all your highs and lows for the year. Here are my main ones, as I posted in my new log.

HIGH: I deadlifted 405 for the first time in my life after many failed attempts. I believe I tried on two or three separate occasions before my first success, failed again after and then got it a second time a few weeks later.

LOW: I pulled my back on an ego deadlift attempt (there were some kids watching and I wanted to put on a show). I know I should not have even tried 420 after working fairly quickly up to a grueling 405 (the second and only time I ever pulled that weight).

HIGH: Full HeSPU - this was a long time in coming, but I can now consistently do at least one, even when I am run down from work, training or otherwise.

LOW: I trained HeSPUs overzealously and created moderately serious discomfort in my wrists, to the point at times of actual pain (which has since been resolved) by training with higher frequency and volume than I was ready to handle. It was bad enough at times that I could not even do pushups.

HIGH: I snatched 175, one of the few stated goals that did hit. Like my 405 deadlift goal, I hit this twice so far.

LOW: I smashed my wrist on a failed clean by falling backwards with it and digging my elbow into the dirt. I lost a lot of training time on this one.

HIGH: Performed a number of very impressive jumps off of and over things.

LOW: Hurt myself on two of those jumps! One time the injury was fine within 3 days. The most recent time it has taken two weeks so far and I am still not back to 100%, nor even 70% (I will be back to 100% and more, just give me time, probably another week or two).
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Our Training Highs and Lows for 2013 So Far

Post by Rix on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:58 am

Hey good thread Dave, would be quite interesting to see everyone's training highs and lows. I can join you in the high of a HeSPU :)

Low: Beginning of the year I was banned from using weights by my parents coz it was seen as dangerous and money consuming (my own). Specially kettlebells.

High: Started a proper epic body weight journey because of being banned from kettlebells. I used both convict conditioning books and the knowledge from the community to structure good programmes and ended up mastering 2 exercises to level 10 and being dead close to level 10 on all the other exercises. I now love the CC trifecta and try to do it every day.

Low: Job issues and job training stopped me from training which made me put on weight and made me into a lil porky podger.

High: learnt about nutrition fully and dieting. Now I can maintain my current body weight without exercising or with exercising I can cut and bulk properly.

Low: Broke my doorway pull up bar and can't get a new one because I broke the door frame :p

High: About the same time as Dave, I conquered the HeSPU!!! My shoulders was the weakest part of my game but I progressed from HeSPU to a frog stand into a full hand stand and then I achieved a HeSPU with a 10kg weight vest.

High: Built an outside pull up bar, ghetto style!

High: Achieved bad ass times on both the murph (with a 10kg vest and without) and the 10SoH.

High: I did some half decent weight lifts for a bodyweighter. Never deadlifted before this year but but ended up achieving a double BW on my fourth ever deadlift.

High: Became a martial artist in MMA, JKD, Muay Thai and Kali. My surprising favourite is Kali, when I started training under my guru I didn't even attended a kali class, now I can be kept away. Eskrima and open hand panantukan are very practical in real life situations in my opinion and when your training one you are always training the other subconsciously because they are transferable.

Highest High: Completing a sprint duathlon in the exact time I set out to do. Achieving a distance/endurance event is a big thing for me, even when I was swimming I was a sprinter so to complete something like a duathlon was a big achievement to me personally. Only had two asthma attacks at the end and almost blacked out but I powered through, even tho my bro told me to stop.

Lowest Low: Injured. What Started off from a small shoulder injury that I ignored has now turned into tendonitis. I have ruptured the tendons in my shoulder, the ones that go into the chest. I now have a constant strain across my sternum even after four months and two month of resting. The damage stems from the Murphs and me not resting properly then going to three hours martial arts at a time. We'll it has now taught me a valuable life lesson. I was so close to a full ab rollout and was asked to start sparring at my martial arts gym as I had improved rapidly. Now I will be out for the rest of the year and probly longer :(hopefully it will be ok.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:46 am

Quite boring constantly this year:

Highs:
Upped all used weights significantly: especially the strict press starting at 4 kg one handed, at 16 kg now
TGU from BW to 20 kg.
Swings 16 kg one handed, 20 kg 40 times in one set.
2 hands anyhow from 2 x 8 kg to 22 kg and 16 kg
Front squats - albeit low - to full ROM
^^^Much improved ancle mobility, thoracic mobility and overall

Increased bodyweight from 73.3 kg to 78.3

Lows:
Almost zero cycling
Not much running - not so important anyway
Mild lower back pain at times - tight muscles
Tight muscles in mostly the quads and in the shoulder girdle, still not fully loosened up, a constant work I guess.
^^^I blame mostly my epic cycling in younger years for that. Cyclist do get tight.
Most annoying not being able to completely shut up the constant (and distracting) chatter going on in my brain :blah: 

A lil bit of redundant body mass (aka flabs) - about 2 kg - I assume

So I guess that's not too spectacular, but I'm pretty much satisfied with not being spectacular.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:36 pm

Rix wrote:I can join you in the high of a HeSPU :)
:handshake:

And you'll get healed up, of this I have no doubt.

Avocadoshake wrote:So I guess that's not too spectacular, but I'm pretty much satisfied with not being spectacular.
You're getting what you want out of your training and accomplishing your goals. It doesn't need to be "spectacular" to be worthy of admiration.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:07 am

^^^Slow and steady, yes.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:41 am

I've definitely had a few of both of these this year :mrgreen: that said, I can't think of anything offhand that was a 'low', per se, because all my mistakes and little tweaked muscles and things have helped me learn something and in some way contributed my progress.

I'll update at the end of the year, we're not there yet!
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:00 am

Journeyman wrote:we're not there yet!
:nod: 
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:13 am

I was doing a last rep of front squats when the new year started, it happened at the same time haha.

let's take a look at what happened:

HIGHS
- I added a good amount of mass. I was about 70 kg the beginning of this year. So I added 14 kg (but now lost 1.5 kg lmao, well not sure yet could be a water weight fluctuation).
- I gained a lot of strength since I also gained a lot of weight, pound for pound I'm a lot stronger and I weigh a lot more. If you look at weighted dips I used to do it was almost more than I do now but that's because I used a backpack... there's no way I was stronger pound for pound back then, I couldn't do clap dips then now I can easily do 5+ clap dips, I could only do a few hespus, I couldn't even do adv. tuck planche, I am a lot stronger at everything I don't know how I used so much weight for the dips I think the backpack is a lot easier than the dip belt because the weight of the backpack helps you press out of the dip, maybe my rom was poor too, probably a combination of both. so yeah dip belt is a lot harder than backpack for dips I think.
- I know my life goal. age 13-15 I was a depressed piece of crap then at age 15-16 i got the message. I am a different person this goes for the whole 1.5 years of my training not just this 1 year. I have been the happiest i've ever been in my life at the times of 16-17 years old. I still have the same exact dream as I always had since 15-16, sometimes it suddenly disappears and I panic but it always comes back. i found the kingdom of god through this, i transformed myself as a person.
- a few months ago i felt the best i ever felt. thanks no-fepf haha... i felt epic and i wanna get back to that...

LOWS
- CONSTANTLY CHANGING ROUTINE!!! the whole year i constantly changed the routine. it slowed down progress. it's not that bad though i always worked towards the same things somewhat but i should've sticked more to the same routine.
- bad front lever progress: of course I gained a lot of weight, but I could've progressed a lot more with this.
- not training leg properly... and inconsistently. not sure what to do for legs, not motivated for legs, always changing the exercise for legs, etc... it's only since recently that i started focusing on it properly... russian leg curls, and weighted pistols or front squats.
- I've had some periods of crap progress due to personal things. sometimes my mind plays tricks on me and I get depressed and disconnected from the truth. i even thought i was losing hair (lol) and i freaked out because of it. just like I'm now having annoying and disturbing ocd. it happened out of nowhere, and the last few weeks has been absolute hell sometimes where i literally lose my mind.

A NEW YEAR STARTS, and I will make MORE progress in 2014 than I did in 2013, because I learned from the mistakes I made in 2013.

2014 is a VERY IMPORTANT year, it is important to stay focussed... I wanna weigh 100 kg before I turn 18.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:26 am

Lows:

-School and personal BS getting in the way of training (the problem is that I let it get in the way, really, instead of making training a priority)

-routine hopping. Kinda sorta not really... as you guys know, I 'hop' when things work. Which is weird, because most switch routines if they don't get results. But for me, if something works I generally experiment and play with it a bit to find possible options for myself and others... then drop it and try something else. Great for getting ideas and finding out how I respond to various stimuli, bad for making real progress.

-Not really a 'low', but not fixing weaknesses.

Highs:

-Applied to and was accepted for Strongfirst's deadlift team. Trained for a specific competition, competed, won! Pulled over 400 pounds for the first time, hitting triple bodyweight in the process. Also made some great friends and contacts.

-Started the blog, which has gotten me a lot of great attention, some of it from some really cool guys: Pavel, Bret, Dan John. Got some good practice writing in the process (just writing for myself or to someone, or a report or paper is different from instructive stuff... obviously).

-Through TONS of hard work, greatly improved my OAC strength. From one shaky single on a good day to a solid rep just about anytime, one arm pullups with my right arm on a good day (and left on a very good day) and even reps of full OAC. This carried over to my weighted chin strength in a good way, as evidenced by my near-bodyweight added chin just recently.

-Despite school/stress/life getting in the way, kept grinding out training sessions and eventually saw some results now that I'm recovering post-semester.

-Became SFB certified.

-Discovered some great opportunities, and decided that I really want to make a career out of this stuff.

-Refined (not really, devolved, actually, but whatever) my deadlift technique which I think will pay off in the long run.

Notable PRs:
Deadlift: 412.5 x1. Stiffleg deadlift 385x1, 355x1 entirely cold without warmup. 315x8 without set-downs (TnG) or chalk.
Jefferson lift 405x1 with a bit in the tank.

Pistol +33kg (right leg only)

one arm pullup left arm, OAC x2 right arm, chinup +127lb with a long pause at the top and great control

Strict military press 135x2x2, very shallow power jerk (more of a push press, really) with 185, weighing 136. Came close to a stacked 33kg kettlebell press on a few occasions, never got it though.

Goals for 2014

-Get an internship/job/start working towards a degree in the industry. At least one of those three, preferably two.

-Chinup +175lb (AT LEAST, 150 will fall quickly, 175 maybe by the end of the summer... I think I'll begin to do heavy weighted pullups for 6-8 months of the year and OACs for 4-6, they're pretty synergistic for me if I do it right).

-Improve pressing and squatting strength. Pistol +48kg should be doable, definitely. Not sure what to shoot for on presses... gonna try to bring up tricep power to start, though. Gotta hit some curls, too. I'd like a bodyweight strict curl, that should fix these puny arms! And that'll help chin/OAC too.

-deadlift 500+. Probably gonna weigh around 150 to do that, maybe 155. I'm walking around at ~142 now. Hopefully get a world record in the deadlift team meet this year. Fed's the RPF so I think I just have to break 200kg by late spring/early summer, we'll see.... I'd like a WR in the hack lift or jefferson lift too, it'll probably be unofficial though. USAWA/IAWA meets are either in the midwest or the UK, ain't no one got time for that.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:26 am

@ili, nice. You're at 82.5 kg I assume. I'm at 81 now. Didn't think, I could keep your pace.
I actually plan to shoot for 85 kg or if all goes well stay below 90 kg.

This is because, I want to participate in strongman below 90 kg.
If I get beyond 90 kg, it's 100 kg.

So wer're still having the same goals somehow.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:18 pm

Avocadoshake wrote:@ili, nice. You're at 82.5 kg I assume. I'm at 81 now. Didn't think, I could keep your pace.
I actually plan to shoot for 85 kg or if all goes well stay below 90 kg.

This is because, I want to participate in strongman below 90 kg.
If I get beyond 90 kg, it's 100 kg.

So wer're still having the same goals somehow.
yeah i was 84 but now 82.5 could be a water weight fluctuation though.

strongman? nice.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:47 pm

Highs:

Competed in a meet, totaled 1111lbs @ 181.3lbs
- Bench - 247.8
- Squat - 413.4 (2.28 x BW - get you some)
- Deadlift - 457.8 - not a PR, barely missed 496, but hey, it's all good.

Deadlift: 475lbs - just over 2.5 x BW
Squat - 395lbs x 3

FS HeSPUs - 8; can still do 5, despite having not worked on them near as much due to powerlifting training.

Vertical jump: 32 inches COLD. Tested with what they use at the combine (its awesome being able to use the TAMU research facilities for some of my classes)

DEXA: 10.6% BF. Pretty good, not great, but its on my way to my 8% goal so I'll take it.

Lows:

Having CRAPPY elbows, the entire year, which are now slowly getting better (left is lagging behind the right a little, but they're both better)

Dealing with a nagging hamstring and hip strain.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top