PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Elbow Rehab/Prehab

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Elbow Rehab/Prehab

Post by Dave on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:46 pm

I was going to make my own video tutorial of this, but I found the one I originally saw, so I will post it here. I highly recommend this to everyone because it works.

Specifically I am referring to the movement they do at 1:05 and 3:45. I recommend doing it a bit slower (control is key, do not go ballistic) and you can reap broader benefits by doing some reps with a straight arm and some reps with your arm bent at 90°.

Of course all the movements are good, but none is a more powerful elbow strengthener than the one I mentioned above.

Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Elbow Rehab/Prehab

Post by Brahma Bill on Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:01 pm

Thanks Dave, I'm going to give that a try.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Bissen on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:30 am

Straight arm work is also excellent. I had pretty bad both hyperextension and compression in my right elbow; caught in an arm bar, didn't tap out soon enough, and muscle ups at too high volume.
- I couldn't even do a pushup on my knees, nor could I flex my elbow even do the point of a normal pullup.

All I know about rehab is from Joshua Naterman. He is one of my great sources of information on training related stuff.

First off, of course rest is important; but it should be active.

First exercise: German hangs (aka skin the cat), either on a bar or rings, done from a chin grip. If it's hard on your shoulders or elbow, do it so you have the opportunity to stand on something, so you take off some of the load. You should be able to hold this for at the very least 15 seconds, even better, 30. Go for a volume of 60 seconds.

2) Get in a pushup position with straight arms, extend your elbows completely. You should be able to hold this position WITHOUT ANY PAIN OR DISCOMFORT, for at least 30 seconds. Lean as far forward as you can, strongly retract your scapula and hollow your spine.
Go for a total volume of at least 60s.

Do both these things as part of your warm up or cool down. It has helped me tremendously, and I can now do muscle ups (I do have limits, though), pushups, dips and all that again, and I'm rarely ever bothered anymore.

Last edited by Bissen on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Bissen
Masterful
Masterful

http://www.moarninjaplz.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:36 am

For number two do you mean pushup or pullup when you say PU?

Also, spike pushups, although mostly touted for wrists, are great for elbows too.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bissen on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:38 am

Fixed it ;)
Bissen
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:40 am

Okay, so basically scapular pushups, except holding the scapular retracted? I do like scapular pushups.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bissen on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:42 am

Don't do the pushup. Just stand there.

Here's what I mea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaH_HUMooyM
Bissen
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:42 pm

Josh has some good stuff up on GB, but this debacle really soured anything he said for me: http://www.t-nation.com/article-comments/bodyweight_isometrics_for_improved_strength

Gotta read through the comments starting from the bottom. Anyway, that being said, he does give some good advice which I have used in the past.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Bissen on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:59 pm

Well... reading those comments, he does come across as somewhat... I don't know how to put it in proper English. Persistent, to say the least. I actually remember it being discussed on GBF.

However, he is (seemingly) an incredibly nice and generous guy on the GB forums, at least.
Bissen
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:06 pm

Right. He does seem like a nice guy and helps out a lot of people. Definitely didn't want to necessarily take anything away from him, it's just that that example I used of T-Nation earlier kind of sums up how I see the GB community becoming now. More....elitist? And it's burned me out from that entire group for a while now. I still visit the forum on occasion if there's something specific I'm researching, but that attitude isn't something I want to see cultivated to a greater degree. Hope that makes sense.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:03 pm

That was good. Thanks for posting the link. Even though I can do some ugly tuck front levers, I think I'll go back and do the progressions off the bench.
Thanks again!
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Just Move on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:16 pm

I used to do something like that when I first got tendinitis but I used a light wooden dowel. It helped a little I think. I also bought a yellow sledge just like the one in the video for tire smashing workouts.
Should I starting doing this again with the sledgehammer? My tendinitis has healed but I still get that feeling like its going to come back on days I do a lot of exercises that involve elbows.

Another exercise I did was putting a band (rubberband) around my closed fingertips and then expanding them for reps. As well as my elbow mobility exercise (from Scott Sonnon) which I still do in my warmups.

Just Move
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:06 pm

Just Move wrote:Should I starting doing this again with the sledgehammer?

Yes!

Another exercise I did was putting a band (rubberband) around my closed fingertips and then expanding them for reps.

I've done this periodically for most of my training career, although never really methodically or for long periods at a time. I do like it very much.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:38 am

My elbow has been killing since I been doing HeSPU
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:44 am

Rixstar wrote:My elbow has been killing since I been doing HeSPU
What about doing some light high rep triceps extensions?
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:54 am

Iliander wrote:What about doing some light high rep triceps extensions?

Yeah thats what i was gonna do, well BW skull crushers, but against a high window ledge or wall. Easy enough to get 30 reps in to flush blood and nutrients to that area. Gonna get some elbow supports too!
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by CDL2042 on Tue May 21, 2013 2:24 pm

Been doing these 2x a week for a couple weeks now. Good stuff!

My grip seems stronger too.
CDL2042
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top