PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Pavel's bodyweight cert

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pavel's bodyweight cert

Post by Journeyman on Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:24 pm

I just finished the Strongfirst bodyweight cert, a cool $1200.

Was it worth it--yes
Did I learn stuff--yes (and I've been doing all of this for a while)
And I was stronger after ~14 hours of very tough work than I've probably ever been. If anyone has questions about it (what it was like, what was taught, etc) I'd be happy to answer, if not, well, that's what I did this weekend  :mrgreen: 
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Pavel's bodyweight cert

Post by Fatman on Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:07 am

Journeyman wrote:I just finished the Strongfirst bodyweight cert, a cool $1200.

Glad you enjoyed it!
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by MF! on Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:59 am

Just curious if anything you learned was drastically different from what he writes about in his books. I know sometimes authors will write one thing but teaching it in person provides a whole other experience.

Would you say that was the case?
MF!
Adept
Adept

http://traceurversusbboy.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMasterKey on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:20 am

Why did you take it?
TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:54 am

MF! wrote:Just curious if anything you learned was drastically different from what he writes about in his books. I know sometimes authors will write one thing but teaching it in person provides a whole other experience.

Would you say that was the case?

No, not drastically different. The course is somewhat based off of 'Naked Warrior', with a heavy focus on irradiation and power breathing, and the pistol/OAP/HLR.

Doing it in person definitely provided a different experience. I've placed a big focus on the whole 'mastering tension' thing throughout all the time I've been training and I've gotten pretty good at it. But this weekend was a whole other level. The instructive drills are all very useful. It's one thing reading and then trying to 'push your low back into the floor' and, for example, 'holding' a rope down that someone is trying to pull out from under you. Lots of little things like that that really speed up the learning process and, if you already know what's going on, help you get even more out of it. It is an instructor course, after all, so lots of teaching/learning-friendly drills and partner work.

As far as the material itself, it was very expansive. Not just 'stay tight, GTG, pistol/OAP/hollow position drills' at all. Sort of gave the base behind the minimalistic stuff.

-joint mobility and stretching
-tension drills
-hollow position work... lots of this
-integration and irradiation
-power breathing
-basic movement patterns
-progressions and regressions for the one arm pushup, pistol, handstand pushup, and hanging leg raise
-'controlling the environment' via partner drills and leverage alterations
-locomotion... we did some crawling and stuff like that, gradually increasing in complexity

And the course was very methodical. You're shown a drill/pattern/exercise progression. You do it, integrate it with other stuff, go through a loosening/relaxation/stretch cycle, and help teach or spot someone else through it before doing it again  and again, then moving to the next one.

Last edited by Journeyman on Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:55 am

Stronger how? As in the stuff you did over that 14 hours actually left you feeling physically stronger such that you might hit some kind of PR if you tried to? Mentally? All of the above? The nuances thereof would be great, thanks! And of course all the answers to the other questions interest me as well.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:00 am

TheMasterKey wrote:Why did you take it?

I wanted a certification to put on my resume, wanted to get to know the SF community a bit better, and learn more teaching techniques/methods. I got all that--and an immediate boost in my own abilities, which was more than a little nice. $1200 for two days was definitely a splurge, though, at least for someone like me (no steady income--having some sort of training certification is supposed to help with that, of course).

Last edited by Journeyman on Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:14 am

Dave wrote:Stronger how?  As in the stuff you did over that 14 hours actually left you feeling physically stronger such that you might hit some kind of PR if you tried to?  Mentally?  All of the above?  The nuances thereof would be great, thanks!  And of course all the answers to the other questions interest me as well.

No, not at all actually! The course was very draining. This is the first time I've actually felt neurally burned out after training; and can feel that my hormones are depleted--I've been moody all today and yesterday.

I felt like I had a sort of 'strength peak' a few hours into day one, after the first bout of tension drills. At the end of day one, I was exhausted. My hamstrings were cramping on and off for about 4 hours after a particularly demanding partner drill with glute bridges, my triceps were sore and weak feeling, my abs and lats were very tight and fatigued. I hit a full one arm pullup (pronated grip) from a dead hang, which I've never done in anything less than an ideal rested state. I stalled almost instantly, which normally spells disaster, but was able to keep getting tighter and tighter until I just ended up with my chin over the bar, or at least that's what it felt like.  

And at the end of day two, even more tired, I did a muscleup while maintaining the hollow position (that is, legs straight and toes pointed to the floor the entire time), then slid forwards into a one-leg tucked front lever that was definitely more controlled than ever before. Shortly after that I did a one arm chin that was definitely faster than any I've done before. Physically, my body felt like it was all one solid piece, which was very cool--definitely not a sensation I've had, at least not to this degree.

Right now I feel burned out, but I'll be fine after a few days of rest. I do believe I can move even farther forwards in a fresh state than I did while fatigued (i.e. using this stuff to really accelerate my own progress, especially given the performance increase it gave me while I was trashed).
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMasterKey on Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:14 am

Journeyman wrote:
TheMasterKey wrote:Why did you take it?

I wanted a certification to put on my resume, wanted to get to know the SF community a bit better, and learn more teaching techniques/methods. I got all that--and an immediate boost in my own abilities, which was more than a little nice. $1200 for two days was definitely a splurge, though, at least for someone like me (no steady income--having some sort of training certification is supposed to help with that, of course).

I thought that might be why.

Good stuff, sounds like it was well spent.
TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top