PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Cheesedog and others, elbow joint strength advice?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cheesedog and others, elbow joint strength advice?

Post by Dave on Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:03 pm

Rich, how do you do your table makers? Do you point your fingers towards your feet (internal rotation), to the sides or behind you (external rotation)? Do you mix it up? I'm getting back on table makers again because my low back has been stiff from all the hip hinging I've been doing, and I noticed that when I externally rotate my arms my left elbow joint feels weak. In particular I think it is related to a lack of straight arm biceps stability or strength, but I'm not sure.

Just wondering if you have played around with this and have any suggestions. Also suggestions from Alex, Ili or anyone else who's experienced with gymnastic movements would be appreciated.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Cheesedog and others, elbow joint strength advice?

Post by Iliander on Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:40 pm

If I point my fingers towards my feet or to the side it doesn't hurt. But if I point my fingers backwards it hurts my right elbow.

I don't know what causes this. Maybe supinated front raises would help.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:18 pm

Watched Steve Maxwell's video (to see what a
table maker is). His fingers were pointing backwards.
I'll have to do some tomorrow, if I remember.
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:59 pm

I like the idea of doing them with my fingers pointing backwards to emphasize maximum external rotation. Most daily activities tend towards internal rotation anyway, so I don't really believe you can work external rotation too much. Maybe if I keep at them this way it's going to eventually correct whatever the issue is. I'll try supinated front raises too; they sound like a great idea!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:50 am

I've always done them with my fingers forward, pointing towards my feet. Actually never considered doing them any other way.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:14 pm

Which side of the arm is the weakness on?

Either way--localized/isolation slow tempo, full range, moderate rep, light weight work is almost always the way to go.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:12 pm

Triceps side, but only when externally rotated. It's already better today despite very little work on it. Maybe I just caught myself on a bad day...
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:23 am

I forgot to try them today....
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:51 pm

Journeyman wrote:Localized/isolation slow tempo, full range, moderate rep, light weight work is almost always the way to go.

X2. This is where resistance bands have their time to shine. I also would imagen pointing your hands away from your feet would be the way to go for table makers. Get the bicep and top of the tricep going. Kini tape is quite helpful with elbow joint pains.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top