PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

The will to prepare to win - Brahma Bill 2014

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The will to prepare to win - Brahma Bill 2014

Post by Brahma Bill on Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:52 pm

WU

2x
50 yard OHC out/ 50 yard Bearhug carry back 100# SB

4x
50 yard carry - 100# SB on shoulder, 16 kg and 24 kg in one hand
Switched side every 50 yards

Pretty fried from working outside all day, decided to do the carries instead of what I had planned.

Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexandra on Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:27 pm

Whenever I check in and read your account you are always doing some good workouts. I like how you workout, even after a hard day of working. It is easy for many (and I've done it a lot myself over the years) to say, "I'm too tired," and just skip it, but you didn't. :)
Alexandra
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:39 pm

Alexandra wrote:Whenever I check in and read your account you are always doing some good workouts.  I like how you workout, even after a hard day of working.  It is easy for many (and I've done it a lot myself over the years) to say, "I'm too tired," and just skip it, but you didn't. :)
You spoke too soon! I missed three last week :facepalm: 
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:48 pm

WU

10 - Armor building 110# SB
50 - H rows (knees bent)
15:1 swings 24 kg KB

Something got me last week. Out of sorts, no energy, barely dragged myself through the workday. Never did figure it out, but I got over it.
Planned on doing 15 minutes of TVT on the rows but only made it through 7 minutes.

Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:05 pm

WU

Snatches 15:15 16kg KB
Only 14 sets :headbang: 
It was a little bit on the warm side tonight and it zapped me in a hurry.
I'll be glad when I finally get acclimated for the summer.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:04 pm

Didn't notice you were doing a run of VWC--how're you liking it thus far?
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:01 am

Journeyman wrote:Didn't notice you were doing a run of VWC--how're you liking it thus far?
So far I like it a lot.
Having a program to follow is helping me stay more consistent. I've dropped 9 lbs. without any changes to my diet. And my stamina has increased. My hands have finally toughened up in the last couple of weeks, the first month or so it seemed like I ripped a callus every session.
I was making steady progress up until this month, but that's all on me. Heavy work load and heat have thrown me off the last 2-3 weeks.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexandra on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:35 pm

Brahma Bill wrote:You spoke too soon! I missed three last week :facepalm: 

Doh!

Looks like you made up for the missed workouts though with your weight loss (congratulations) and your stamina increasing. One thing about reading your log is I'm always learning stuff. I don't think I hardly ever visit without having to Google something. This time it was "VWC" and "Armor Buillding" exercise!

Glad to read that your hands have toughened up. I'm going to have that problem with my feet when I start taking martial arts again.
Alexandra
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:19 am

VWC?  :scratch: 
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:49 am

Dave wrote:VWC?   :scratch: 
Viking Warrior Conditioning
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:58 am

Alex, The Armor Building comes from a challenge CV and I did a couple of months ago.
Sandbag to shoulder then squat, only I do them Sandbag to shoulder then bear hug squat 'cause the squat with the bag on the shoulder tweaks my back.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:15 am

Brahma Bill wrote:
Journeyman wrote:Didn't notice you were doing a run of VWC--how're you liking it thus far?
So far I like it a lot.
Having a program to follow is helping me stay more consistent. I've dropped 9 lbs. without any changes to my diet. And my stamina has increased.  My hands have finally toughened up in the last couple of weeks, the first month or so it seemed like I ripped a callus every session.
I was making steady progress up until this month, but that's all on me. Heavy work load and heat have thrown me off the last 2-3 weeks.

Cool to hear.

And yeah, vwc is generally just run by itself unless your recovery is really on point.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:34 am

Bill - great job on the 9lbs loss
and sticking to the armour building and VWC.

I have been slacking on the AB. gotta get back into it.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:07 am

That protocol sounds interesting.  I'd rather do that than even a straight 20 minute set. It always feels better to be crisp for most if not all reps in a workout.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:41 pm

WU

Snatches 16 kg KB - 15:15 - 28 sets

Didn't get it done until late.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:59 am

Kenneth Jay wrote this today:

The swing sucks for cardio. too much upper body static contraction is the primary reason. HR will go up but there will be no or only little VO2 uptake because oxygen cannot get into contracted muscle. this is the primary problem with using weights for cardio.
The swing should be abandoned as soon as you know how to do it and replaced by something that also involves the upper body and if you want a somewhat decent cardio stimulus you only have one option: The snatch with a light weight and a REALLY REALLY high cadence- more than 36 reps per minute otherwise it will not work which means that you have to be somewhat well-trained and accustomed to the snatch before you can use it. This is what I saw when investigating the snatch and the effects on VO2 uptake for my Bachelors in exercise science. The untrained/unaccustomed group could not come close to VO2max but the trained group did much better.

Now, his science is off on some things but this is quite interesting whether it's true or not. To be honest I think there are a few variables he's not accounting for, but worth thinking about/experimenting with either way.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:48 pm

Journeyman wrote:Kenneth Jay wrote this today:

The swing sucks for cardio. too much upper body static contraction is the primary reason. HR will go up but there will be no or only little VO2 uptake because oxygen cannot get into contracted muscle. this is the primary problem with using weights for cardio.
The swing should be abandoned as soon as you know how to do it and replaced by something that also involves the upper body and if you want a somewhat decent cardio stimulus you only have one option: The snatch with a light weight and a REALLY REALLY high cadence- more than 36 reps per minute otherwise it will not work which means that you have to be somewhat well-trained and accustomed to the snatch before you can use it. This is what I saw when investigating the snatch and the effects on VO2 uptake for my Bachelors in exercise science. The untrained/unaccustomed group could not come close to VO2max but the trained group did much better.

Now, his science is off on some things but this is quite interesting whether it's true or not. To be honest I think there are a few variables he's not accounting for, but worth thinking about/experimenting with either way.
Way above my pay grade! Interesting though. I have to say I was impressed that he took the time to delve into the pathophysiology of the cardiovascular system in his book.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:50 pm

6/24/14
WU

16kg KB Snatches :15/:15 - 7reps per set - 20 sets.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:51 pm

Brahma Bill wrote:
Journeyman wrote:Kenneth Jay wrote this today:

Way above my pay grade! Interesting though. I have to say I was impressed that he took the time to delve into the pathophysiology of the cardiovascular system in his book.

I haven't had the chance to read his book, but his science is off very often; in fact he's often corrected on his stuff by more knowledgeable people and thanks them but then generally ignores it. The problem is that he's citing studies he himself did for his B.A., which is kinda ridiculous.
With this specific example, the snatch might be better than the swing for max HR just due to faster pace, longer ROM, and more movement overall (might). He's way off with the oxygen and contracted muscle thing, though.

Anyhow--vwc is still a solid-ass program so I'll be keeping an eye on how it's going for you.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:39 am

Thursday 6/26/14
WU
10:00 Pushups and Planks
10/10 OHP 16 kg
10:00 TVT H Rows - 36 reps - knees bent
2x10 Chicken Thief - holding 16 kg and 24 kg KB

Did it late but got it done

Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:42 am

Excellent Bill. great work you are putting in. your body gets a beating at work and then you beat it some more in the evenings. Excellent
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:01 pm

Cesar wrote:your body gets a beating at work and then you beat it some more in the evenings. Excellent

All you need now is to owe Guido's boss.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:11 pm

Dave - you lost me on that one.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:43 pm

Guido's boss wants money... Guido comes knocking...  :eyebrows: 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:34 am

lol. thanks for clarification.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:10 am

I don't have to worry about Guido. Not a big fan of 25% interest rates

6/27/14
WU
16kg KB Snatches :15/:15 - 7reps per set - 30 sets.

2x :20 planks

did the planks in the pushup position, not on the elbow
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:43 am

Brahma Bill wrote:I don't have to worry about Guido. Not a big fan of 25% interest rates

Not to mention Guido has to look up to see your nipples.  :lol!: 
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:59 pm

Dave wrote:
Brahma Bill wrote:I don't have to worry about Guido. Not a big fan of 25% interest rates

Not to mention Guido has to look up to see your nipples.   :lol!: 
Take off eh.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:08 pm

WU

Bearhug breathing squats - 120 lb SB - 17 reps

Misc. pushups and pushup holds/planks

Stretch

So we've had the little man for about four days now. He came out and warmed up with me and then did three sets of 5 assisted pullups. Then he decide he was in charge of time clock management. I started off doing 20 minutes of squats on a 3 a minute pace. made it through the first 5 minutes OK and them Mr. button pusher took it from there. Hard to squat when your laughing, I'd do my three and wait for the next minute and then the little guy would start shouting "Hurry up Papa, times almost up!"
Glad I got something in and had a good time doing it.

A note on the sandbag, I added 20lbs of rubber mulch to my 100 lb bag and used it. All previous work (shouldering) with a 120 lb bag was my small one filled with gravel. Even though the weights the same the rubber mulch filled bag is much easier to handle, no bruising on the chest and stomach. Long story short, I'm ditching the gravel and filling the small bag with rubber mulch as well.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:15 pm

WU

23 sets 15:15 16kg KB

Pushups and planks

stretch

A note on pushups, I realized I haven't been doing many of late, which lead me to read up on proper form. So I've changed the way I do pushups and am doing a lot less as a result, but they feel crisper (if that makes any sense).
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:01 am

what did you change about your form?
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexandra on Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:30 pm

I'm curious to hear what you did to change your form on push-ups as well. As usual, good works outs. :)
Alexandra
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:35 pm

I've always done them with my arms straight out to the sides (like a T if looking from above) I've moved my hands back a little and a little closer to the sides with my elbows tucked in toward my body a little more (like an arrow if looking from above). More of the work gets done by the chest and triceps and not so much on the shoulders.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:57 pm

Oh yeah that'll do it. When I made that switch I found I could pump them out with half the effort. My upper arms are a fair bit closer than 45° though.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexandra on Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:44 pm

I sometimes do push-ups with my arms straight out. I find when I do them, they mainly engage my lats mostly. I have also found that when I bring my hands closer in I also find push-up's harder. Normally I end up doing them with my hands a little bit ahead of my shoulders, but when I bring my hands back so they are almost right under my shoulders, and concentrate on not letting my elbows flair out too much, the push-ups engage my pec's a lot more and become a lot harder.

I learned this when I was reading about the police physical test for my sister in law's department, back before she retired due to disability, and how they tested push-up's. At first I was underwhelmed at how many one had to do but once I saw how many parameters they put on what constituted a rep, I wasn't underwhelmed anymore. :)
Alexandra
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:38 pm

Sounds like everyone does them diferently :scratch: 
I've made a new goal of 50 consecutive Pushups using "proper" form.

Tonight's a training night but I got very overheated at work today and don't have it in me (got the job done though).
Spent my training time getting the house and yard prepped for Arthur.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:55 pm

I hope that you weather the storm uneventfully!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:38 pm

ccheatum wrote:I hope that you weather the storm uneventfully!
I turned out to be a bust (thank goodness). We just caught the edge of it, only got a couple of inches of rain and 45 MPH winds. I've seen worse Nor'easters.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:40 pm

Guess I'm still not 100% after yesterday.
only got 14 sets
snatches 16kg KB 15:15
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:05 pm

WU
Pushups - 15 min TVT - 30 reps total
H rows - 15 min TVT - 38 reps total

focused on making each pushup perfect
progressed to feet elevated on the rows
Doesn't look like much on paper but it was hard.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:59 pm

That really is a solid workout! I really like the TVT protocol.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:45 am

I agree, nice one. I'm planning on a cycle like this after my current cycle is done.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:15 am

It is not about what is on paper, Bill. It is about what you actually do after you put the paper down.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:28 pm

ccheatum wrote:That really is a solid workout! I really like the TVT protocol.
Thanks! Me too, it keeps me from thinking too much.

Cheesedog wrote:I agree, nice one.  I'm planning on a cycle like this after my current cycle is done.
Thanks! I'll look forward to it.
Cesar wrote:It is not about what is on paper, Bill.  It is about what you actually do after you put the paper down.
Actually this was what I did before I picked the paper up :D  It worked though, my chest is sore as H today.

WU

28 sets snatches 16kg KB 15:15

finally acclimated to the heat  :cheers:  97 at time of workout and I kept on rolling.
Learned something new, since my chest was sore I used more hips on the upswing, that made each rep faster
Another fun little factoid, chalk and sweat will leave a fine sandpaper like grit on your kettle bell handle. If you don't clean it off you'll get hamburger hands
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:39 pm

Missed the last two training sessions due to major thunderstorms and a heavy (literally) workload.
Worked some TGU (no weight) Saturday with some random pushups and planks thrown in. On one side the TGU's are smooth and fluid and I pop right up, on the other I move like a wounded duck. I'll keep at it.

Tonight's fun and games

WU

20 minutes Bearhug Breathing Squats - 120 lb SB - made it to 19 reps before failing, used the 3 a minute scheme.

10 minutes Overhead anyhow - 100 lb SB - 15 reps - did 3 every other minute no problem. going to do more reps next time.

The Bearhug breathing squats were working real well for me before and I kind of got away from them the last couple of months. I'm going back to working these weekly.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:31 pm

WU

Snatches 16kg KB 15:15 34 sets 7 reps a set

I trained indoors, figured it wasn't a good idea to stick a cast iron ball 9 feet in the air during a lighting storm
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:12 am

On one side the TGU's are smooth and fluid and I pop right up, on the other I move like a wounded duck.

Sounds like somebody needs to do some mobility work!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:47 am

Bill - it sounds like we both need some mobility work and the TGUs will definitely help out.  I have 7 days to go with swings and then TGUs for this guy.

maybe some cleans with the 36kg and then snatches after that.

Last edited by Cesar on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:00 am

That must be a common problem. TGU's are smooth on the right side, clunky and choppy on the left. Muscle imbalances maybe?
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:42 am

I'm going to keep playing with the TGU's until I get it.
Aren't TGU considered a mobility exercise? That was my main reason for trying them out.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top