PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Focused on Goals in 2014

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Workout #22

Post by ccheatum on Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:36 am

(Done 6/2)

Warmup
Hip Flexor Stretches
1x10 Bird Dogs
2x5 Pullups BW only
2x5 Dips BW only

2x5 Pullups BW+20 lbs
2x5 Dips BW+20 lbs

Short workout yesterday. I have a lot going on in my personal life right now that is making it difficult to do anything. I had to go to the dermatologist yesterday because I have some spots on my face that I am concerned about, and they took two samples for biopsy. I had a basal cell about 14 years ago, so I would not be surprised if I have one or two more at this point. Unfortunately, that is the tip of the iceberg, and I am still trying to figure out how to deal with it all. For now, though I am at least going to try to keep plugging away with the workouts to retain as much a sense of normalcy as I can. Prayers are greatly appreciated!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Re: Focused on Goals in 2014

Post by Iliander on Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:41 am

you did something, just keep going do whatever you can. as long as you keep moving forward.

i'll pray.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Workout #23

Post by ccheatum on Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:07 am

Warmup
Hip Flexor Stretches
1x10 Bird Dogs
2x5 Pullups BW only
2x5 Dips BW only
2x5(L/R) Split Squats BW only

2x5 Pullups BW+20 lbs
2x5 Dips BW+20 lbs
2x5(L/R) Split Squats BW+20 lbs

I did another shorter workout, but still working at it. My youngest sone came down and did some dips and pullups with me. It was great to do something and keep progressing this morning. It was even better to do it with him!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Workout #24

Post by ccheatum on Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:08 am

Warmup
Hip Flexor Stretches
Back Stretches
2x5 Pullups BW only
2x5 Dips BW only

2x5 Pullups BW+20 lbs
2x5 Dips BW+20 lbs
2x5(L/R) Split Squats BW+20 lbs

Another solid workout. Still not as much as I was doing a few weeks ago, but it i good to keep moving nonetheless. My son came and worked out again. I think he is really lying it. He really likes to try pullups. His ROM only goes about half way down, but he can do 10 reps of those.He really enjoys doing them on the rings, which is fun. At this point, I think I am ready to increase the weight on my weight ed exercises, so next week I will go up. I wonder if I can go up to 25?
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:58 am

I am so glad that you are getting in the training and you now have a more consistent training partner. Can not wait til the boys get older so they can join their old man.
Right now they come out to the garage and play while I train. sometimes cesar makes up his own exercises, breathes heavy like i do and then says I am going to be sore in the morning. LOL

Great Job!
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:07 pm

Nice one CC! Sounds like the back is better.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:31 am

Brahma Bill wrote:Nice one CC! Sounds like the back is better.

A little better, but still pretty tender. I am trying to keep moving because that will make it better, but it is slow progress.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Workout #25

Post by ccheatum on Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:36 am

Warmup
Hip Flexor Stretches
Back Stretches
2x5 Pullups BW only
2x5 Dips BW only

2x5 Pullups BW+25 lbs
2x5 Dips BW+25 lbs
2x5(L/R) Split Squats BW+25 lbs

Finisher
2x8 Pullups BW only

This was a good workout. I increased the weight for the weighted movements. I am so amazed that I did pullups with 25 lbs! The last rep was tough in each set, but I just managed to pull it out. I know that the next session those reps will be easier. Overall a good workout. My son could not get up and workout with me today since I have to be out easy and it is his first day out o school. I told him we would get up an do it on Wednesday instead.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Workout #26

Post by ccheatum on Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:58 am

Warmup
Hip Flexor Stretches
Back Stretches
20 Bird Dogs
2x5 Pullups BW only
2x5 Dips BW only

2x5 Pullups BW+25 lbs
2x5 Dips BW+25 lbs
2x5(L/R) Split Squats BW+25 lbs

Finisher
Max Reps Pullups BW only

I cannot get over how amazing it is that I am doing pullups and dips with 25 lbs of extra weight! I also managed 10 reps of BW pullupsI have seen a lot of progress with this regimen, and I plan to continue to see where this takes me. I have some strange weeks coming up in the next month or so where it will be difficult even to maintain what I have been doing, so I am going to have to think about how to keep this going.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:30 am

awesome!!!!
25+ is great on both. 10 at a clip BW is a good number too.
keep it up
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:03 pm

Good stuff, man.
ccheatum wrote:I have some strange weeks coming up in the next month or so where it will be difficult even to maintain what I have been doing, so I am going to have to think about how to keep this going.
How exactly will your schedule change? The '40 day plan' can definitely be done, say, 2-4 days/week instead of every day; though I'd advise having some sort of abbreviated version that you can adapt to your circumstances and still do daily... maybe just the stretching and squats, maybe some hardstyle planks and bridges, so you don't need equipment or much time.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:35 am

Journeyman wrote:Good stuff, man.
ccheatum wrote:I have some strange weeks coming up in the next month or so where it will be difficult even to maintain what I have been doing, so I am going to have to think about how to keep this going.
How exactly will your schedule change? The '40 day plan' can definitely be done, say, 2-4 days/week instead of every day; though I'd advise having some sort of abbreviated version that you can adapt to your circumstances and still do daily... maybe just the stretching and squats, maybe some hardstyle planks and bridges, so you don't need equipment or much time.  

The trouble is partly travel, I was gone on vacation for the past week, and partly visitors. My in-laws will be here this week and then I am taking my sons to scout camp parts of the next couple of weeks. I workout in my basement where our extra bedroom is, so I cannot workout down there while my in-laws are here. So, I need to be creative about how, where, and when to workout.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:41 am

the world is YOUR gym!
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Workout #27, #28, and #29

Post by ccheatum on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:42 am

So last week, I did two workouts with my rings while on vacation. Each was about the same…

2x10 sec Ring support position
2x2 Ring dips
2x5 Ring Rows
2x5 Ring Pullups
2x5 Ring Pushups

Then today, I am home and had a more complete workout with some weights added…

Warmup
2x5 BW Pullups
2x10 sex Ring Support Position

2x5 Pullups BW+25 lbs
2x3 Ring Dips
2x5 Ring Rows
2x5 Ring Pushups

Finisher
7 BW Pullups

I did not eat very healthy this week, so I know I mud have added some weight, which explains why these pullups were tougher today than before I left. So, I need to get back to healthy eating habits and keep pounding out good workouts like this one! I think I like the ring dips enough I am going to keep ding them. They are a lot tougher than regular dips and serve as a suitable counterpart to the pullups.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Workout #30

Post by ccheatum on Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:16 am

2x5 Pullups BW only
2x5 Dips BW+25 lbs
2x5 Pullups BW+25 lbs
2x3 Ring Dips BW only
1x10 Ring Row Sit Backs
1x5 (L/R) Ring Lawnmower Extensions
2x5 Ring Pushups
2x5 (L/R) Split Squats BW+25 lbs
2x5 (L/R) One-leg deadlifts BW+25 lbs
2x5 Pullups BW only

This was a great and really intense workout! I feel like I am making such excellent progress in my upper body work. I threw in the lawnmower extensions for the first time, and they are really tough! I need to get some good recovery in and I am hoping to see more progress increasing the weight for my weighted pullups. Great stuff!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:03 pm

ccheatum wrote:This was a great and really intense workout! I feel like I am making such excellent progress in my upper body work.

Darn right you are! You're miles ahead of where you were even a year ago!  :zerk: 
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Workout #31

Post by ccheatum on Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:53 pm

2x5 Pullups BW only
2x20 sec Ring Support Position
2x5 Pullups BW+25 lbs
2x5 Ring Dips BW only
1x5 Ring Row Sit Backs 3 sec hold in both horizontal and vertical position
1x5 (L/R) Ring Lawnmower Extensions
1x10 Wide Pushups

This was quick but effective. It has been over a week since my last workout. My wife has been down and I have been taking care of her and the boys, so that has kept me from my usual activity pattern . Plus I took my youngest son to camp and there is neither time nor energy to do an additional workout when at camp, especially with all of the rain we had. So, It was good to get back in the saddle on this one!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:57 pm

good work!
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Workouts #32, #33, and #34

Post by ccheatum on Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:05 pm

I have been slow about logging workouts, but I have been doing them. Wife was in the hospital over the weekend. So glad to have her back home now!

#32 Sunday, July 6th
10 BW pullups (MR)
2x5 BW pullups
4x7 BW pullups

#33 Monday, July 7th
30 min Power Yoga

#34 Tuesday, July 8th
2x5 Pullups BW+25 lbs
2x5 (L/R) Archer Pushups
2x3 Tuck front level pullups
2x3 Tuck Ice Cream Makers

I decided on Sunday that I would mix in some high volume pull-up work to go with the weighted lifts. With my sketchy workout schedule over the past few weeks, I have done well at maintaining my strength, but I have not progressed. I would like to keep increasing the weight on my weighted pullups, but I need to be more consistent before I can do that. The 25 lbs pullups felt good this morning, and I am optimistic that I can make another increase in weight by next week!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:14 pm

CC - I hope it was not anything serious. Good luck and hope she is better now.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:38 pm

I have been slow about logging workouts, but I have been doing them. [/quote] That's the main thing!
Glad you're Wife's OK.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:41 am

I'm glad your wife is better. Take good care of her!

Great couple of workouts by the way.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Workout #35

Post by ccheatum on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:04 am

Warmup
2x5 Pullups
2x5 Pushups
2x5 Wide Pushups
30 sec Plank
30 sec Bridge
20 Bird dogs

2x5 Pullups BW+25 lbs
2x5 Archer Pushups (L/R)
2x5 KROs
2 Back Bend wall walk downs

This was a good workout. I felt strong on the pullups today. I would like to complete 3 of these this week. If I can complete three workouts with the 25 lbs weighted pullups, then I will look to increase the weight for next week. Making new progress with weighted pullups would be great! I am curious if I can make it to 50 lbs. I am not sure how I would hold that much weight, but it would be an interesting problem to have!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:48 pm

ccheatum wrote:I felt strong on the pullups today. when I complete three workouts with the 25 lbs weighted pullups, then I will increase the weight. Progressing as I have with weighted pullups is great! I know if I can make it to 50 lbs. Holding that much weight will not be a problem

There fixed!
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:01 pm

how are the KROs progressing? do you plan to increase their difficulty in some way?
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:21 am

Iliander wrote:how are the KROs progressing? do you plan to increase their difficulty in some way?

When I hurt my back a few weeks ago, I stopped doing KROs altogether until it settled down completely. Now that it has been stable for a while, I am starting over. So, this was my first set of them since early June. That means I will have to reestablish my strength with them. After I become more comfortable again, then I would like to increase the intensity and try to work up to a full SRO. Not sure how long it will take to work up to that though. They seem pretty tough.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Workout #36

Post by ccheatum on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:05 am

Warmup
2x5 Pullups
2x5 Archer Pushups

2x5 Pullups BW+25 lbs
2x5 Dips BW+25 lbs

A quick one this morning. My abs are sore today from the KROs Monday, so I decided to stay away from those this morning and ease back into it again on Friday. Meanwhile, the pushing and pulling felt really good this morning!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:25 am

Archer pushups?  Like this?

Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:42 pm

i think he means type-writers, sort of.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:29 pm

Dave wrote:Archer pushups?  Like this?

Yes, Dave. Exactly like that. I have been contemplating whether I want to try to do one-arm pushups. I decided that I should at least do something along those lines to see how it goes before I decide. These are difficult but not ridiculously so. I am still working on getting the form just right, but they have been pretty fun so far.

CV, they are different than typewriters in that for a typewriter you move from left to right or vice versa. With archer pushups you go straight up and down with most of the weight supported by one arm. Though they are both good training for developing the one-arm pushup.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:58 pm

Aka lever pushups. Keep at them and try to do it with your feet as close together as you can. If I had done more of these my one arm pushups would not look so ugly as they do!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Workout #37

Post by ccheatum on Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:49 pm

2x5 Pullups
2x5 Pushups
2x5 Wide Pushups
2x5 Dips BW+25 lbs
20 Bird dogs
2x5 Pullups BW+25 lbs
2x5 Archer Pushups (L/R)
2x5 KROs

A third solid workout for the week. I am definitely ready to increase my weight to 30 lbs for the pullups and dips. That is the plan for next week. I need to add in some horizontal pull training as well. I am thinking about working on front lever progressions. I always enjoy doing those and they are an awesome way to hammer the lats. I will have to remember to add some in on Monday.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:59 pm

Sorry. I was at work and do not have access to youtube or any social media so not able to see video.
So archers are a progression to one arm push ups like...Archer push up
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:21 pm

Cesar wrote:Sorry. I was at work and do not have access to youtube or any social media so not able to see video.  
So archers are a progression to one arm push ups like...Archer push up

You got it exactly!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Workout #38

Post by ccheatum on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:47 am

2x5 Pullups
2x5 Pushups
2x5 Wide Pushups
2x5 Dips BW+30 lbs
20 Bird dogs
2x5 Pullups BW+30 lbs
2x5 Archer Pushups (L/R)
5x10sec Tuck Front Lever Holds
2x5 KROs

Great workout! I increased the weight on my weighted dips and pullups. I added some front lever holds to get in some horizontal pulling and core work. Overall this felt really good. I am thinking that I ought to add 15 lbs to the warmup pullups at the beginning. Now that I have such a solid weight for the weighted work, I am thinking that I should do more than bodyweight to get going. I will give it a try on Wednesday!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:18 pm

Ambitious much? I think it's a great idea and certainly intuitive based on your gains so far. Hope it goes well for you!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Workout #39

Post by ccheatum on Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:11 am

Pullups and Dips!

2x7 Pullups BW only
2x5 Pullups BW+15 lbs
3x3 Pullups BW+30 lbs

1x10 Dips BW only
2x7 Dips BW+15 lbs
2x5 Dips BW+30 lbs

Awesome workout!

The last week sucked. For the record, there is no polite way to say this, chemo f***ing sucks! I should also note, that my wife does a lot of work that nobody notices, and it is extremely difficult for me to do her job, take care of her, and do any parts of my job all at the same time! Thus, after my workout Monday, I never made it back to another workout last week. I might have managed it one day last week except that I was desperately trying to avoid coming down with a cold, which I flirted with! That would have been terrible timing!!! The good news is that I avoided that. The bad news is that I had to forego an extra workout to get enough sleep and still get everything done to make all of that possible.In spite of these travails, I got a great workout in this morning. It was hard, and I have been feeling that workout off and on through the day. It was an excellent challenge. I am eager to keep progressing with these movements.

I have a minor surgery tomorrow, and I am hoping that it will not slow me down too much. Just having a basal cell removed from my nose. Should be no big deal, but they may tell me not to do anything strenuous for a couple of days to prevent bleeding. We'll have to see how the rest of the week goes!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:34 am

You're getting a lot stronger. Those pullups are looking great! I always find it easier to add weight to my weighted pullups than to add reps to my BW pullups.

I sent you a PM.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:43 am

You are getting stronger and stronger! I look forward to continue seeing your progress...
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:05 am

Great job on the BW+ pull and dips.
Hope all goes well with your wife. It is difficult to see our loved ones in pain, sick.
Good luck with your surgery. Get the rest recommended and add more weight to the Ps & Ds
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:24 pm

My thoughts and prayers for your wife CC.
Hang in there!
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:48 pm

Thanks everyone!! I really appreciate your thoughtfulness and covert your prayers!

Quick update. My surgery went well, but I was surprised to have them completely prohibit all strenuous activity (even unnecessary walking) for a week! So, I had a great workout Monday, but the followup work will have to wait until next week. I am looking forward to it! In the meantime, I will just have to wait this out...
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Workout #40

Post by ccheatum on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:34 pm

Pullups and Dips

7 Pullups BW
5 Pullups BW+15lbs
3 Pullups BW+30lbs

7 Dips BW
5 Dips BW+15lbs
3 Dips BW+30lbs

After two weeks off because of surgery, I was thrilled to get back at it today. This was a short workout , but at least I was able to do something! Took a couple of 5 mile hikes over the weekend, and that felt great. This was a good way to start the week, and I will build my way back up to more substantial volume at these weights as the week progresses.

In the meantime, RIP to the late great Robin Williams...
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:49 am

Good to see you back at it!
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:56 am

glad you are feeling better and back to it...
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:58 am

Cesar wrote:glad you are feeling better and back to it...

X 2.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:25 am

Pullups and Dips

2x7 Pullups BW
2x5 Pullups BW+15lbs
2x3 Pullups BW+30lbs

2x7 Dips BW
2x5 Dips BW+15lbs
2x3 Dips BW+30lbs

Thanks for the support everyone!

This was way more than twice as hard!I barely managed the pullups even at only three reps for the higher weights. The dips felt really god though, hard but not too hard. Overall this was a solid workout.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:54 pm

great job.

a question: are you still training lower body some way?
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:59 pm

Ili,
I was thinking the same thing. With CC, I figured that he is. Still great question.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:57 pm

I also want to know.

ccheatum wrote:Overall this was a solid workout.

Indeed!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top