PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Focused on Goals in 2014

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Focused on Goals in 2014

Post by ccheatum on Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:05 pm

Thanks guys...

The short answer is, yes and no, but more no than yes.

The longer version is that a while back I was doing full body workouts 3x a week. They took a lot of time, but were going pretty well. Then I hurt my back, and I took a break from everything lower body and core because they hurt. The upper body stuff was progressing so well, that I just decided to ride it. My back is better, but with my wife's illness taking up a lot of my spare time, it has been nice to have a pretty quick routine. I have been doing a lot of hiking that I have not logged, which is at least something for lower body. That being said, I was just thinking after my last workout that I should try to do some lower body work as well. So, my plan is to do some basic lower body work on alternating days. My focus is still on the weighted dips and pullups as they have been going so well, but I know that I should try to stay balanced in my approach and so I will.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:17 am

Officially caught up. Sorry to hear about your wife's illness -I didn't know if you had disclosed it (I only went back one page). You did mention chemo, though. I don't know if meant her or you. Either way, prayers for your family.

Now to the physical - GOOD WORK, DUDE!
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:06 am

itlives wrote:Officially caught up. Sorry to hear about your wife's illness -I didn't know if you had disclosed it (I only went back one page). You did mention chemo, though. I don't know if meant her or you. Either way, prayers for your family.

Now to the physical - GOOD WORK, DUDE!

No worries, Mike. It is not a secret. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. We appreciate them!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:10 am

Upper Body

2x7 Pullups BW
2x5 Pullups BW+15lbs
3 Pullups BW+30lbs - Fail!
2x3 Pullups BW+25lbs

2x7 Dips BW
2x5 Dips BW+15lbs
2x3 Dips BW+25lbs

Too much sitting around while taking care of my wife last week coupled with too much thoughtless eating (mostly junk) has lead to too much added BW! I am up about 5 lbs over the last couple of weeks. So, I need to pay more attention to my diet and make sure I am getting out and hiking regularly. I basically did not go out this last week. So, this morning was a wakeup call that I need to refocus!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:17 pm

Glad you are able to put in the work. Having a sick family member is tough, having wife and or kids sick even worse. Keep training, CC, keeps the stress away and allows you to recharge your batteries so you can do it again the next day.
Thoughts and prayers. good luck.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:30 am

Legs

10 BW squats
10 Bilateral Glute Bridges
5 (L/R) Lateral Squats
10 Falling Towers (1/2 ROM)
5 GHR (1/4 ROM)
10 (L/R) Step ups
10 (L/R) Bird Dogs (legs only)

As was noted last week, I have done very little with my lower body in the past few months. So, Now I am getting back to them. I wanted to do something I would feel but not something that would hurt all day today, as I have a lot of work to do to get ready for the school year. So, this was just about the right level of effort. It was a good start and looking forward to more leg work ahead.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:57 am

teacher?
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:17 pm

I am a chemistry professor at the University of Iowa. My kids went back to school today, and my first lecture is next Monday. Then the craziness of the semester will take over!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:42 am

Upper Body

2x7 Pullups BW
2x5 Pullups BW+15lbs
2x3 Pullups BW+25lbs

2x7 Dips BW
2x5 Dips BW+15lbs
2x3 Dips BW+25lbs

The pullups were really tough again. I managed the workout, but it was a real challenge. I am not sure why the pullups have recently started to feel so much more difficult. I guess they are sensitive to even modest fluctuations in my bodyweight. Further evidence that I need to stay focused on a proper diet all of the time!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:44 am

Chemistry...my college nemesis was organic chem. do not know if it was the way my chem teacher taught it (felt like she was teaching graduate students, I was an undergrad, maybe sophomore at the time) or that organic chem was just WAY over my head. Or possibly the fact that it was an 8 am class and I did not get to be til at least midnight the night before every class. Busy time of the year.

Do not be so hard on yourself. Stress will take a toll on performance as well. You have been going through a lot. Keep on moving and once things settle, you will begin to see the progress. good luck with the new semester.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Getting caught up...

Post by ccheatum on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:41 am

In spit of how it might look, I did not take last week off. The start of classes was so crazy, though, that I failed to log any of my workouts. So, here we go...

Monday
2x7 Pullups BW
2x5 Pullups BW+15lbs
2x3 Pullups BW+25lbs

Tuesday
2x10 BW squats
2x10 BW lunges

Wednesday
2x7 Dips BW
2x5 Dips BW+15lbs
2x3 Dips BW+25lbs

After that it was all downhill for the rest of the week. Stress and sleeplessness took their toll, and I was done.

I am trying to start this week and do better. Today's workout:
2x5 Pullups BW+25 lbs
2x5 Dips BW+25 lbs
1x5 Reverse Lunges (L and R) BW+25 lbs
1x10 Goblet Squats BW+25 lbs

Now, I am looking for a more disciplined approach and the ability to stay consistent without injury or too much fatigue.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:39 am

Sounds like a plan, CC.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:41 am

Ah, the dreaded S&S (stress and sleeplessness). The beginnings of a new school session is bound to hit you everytime -at least a little.
Hope you get back on track quickly!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:47 pm

At least you got some quality work in, good on you!
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:00 pm

All right CC, time to get back on the program! :sgt:
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:15 am

Yeah man, where ya at? :eyebrows:
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:11 am

Thanks for reaching out guys!

So, long story short, my irk schedule coupled with my wives chemo treatments put an end to any free time I thought that I had. I have been able to keep moving, mostly doing some yoga every day, but I have not had any time for posting. I am thrilled to see so many of the old gang here! Greek, I missed you man! Mike, so glad you have been able to be around again too!

I am sorry to have disappeared for a while, but, now chemo is done, and we are ready to get back to more of a normal life! There are more steps to her treatment plan, but none of them will be as difficult as what we have done already.

As for me, the bad part is that I am heavier than I was six months ago by 5 lbs and I have not been doing any heavy workouts. So, it is time for me to get back with the program.

Goals for the balance of 2014:
1. Get back down under 170 lbs.
2. Hike at least 15 miles per week.
3. Do yoga every day.
4. Do HIIT at least 3x per week.

The yoga has been feeling great. My flexibility is better than it has ever been; I have developed more strength than I realized, and I have been more relaxed in spite of a lot of stressors in my personal and professional life. I want to continue that.

I need to start training for a backpacking trip I want to do next summer, so I need to begin putting in some miles each week.

I have put on some weight, so I need to get disciplined about the diet. The HIIT will also help with dropping some pounds by revving my metabolism. Together, these should help to get my weight back down.

That is the plan, now to execute it!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

October 27th

Post by ccheatum on Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:15 am

15 Minute vinyasa flow

2 mile Hike

10 minute HIIT
45 sec work/15 sec rest for each exercise
Jump Lunges
Pushups
Mountain Climbers
Jumping Pullups
Squats
Dips
Deck Squats
Mason Twists
Hip Thrusts
High Knees

This was a good way to start the week. Now I need to stick with the program and bust my butt!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:26 am

CC - glad you are back, and things are better.  I can not even begin to try to understand what kind of stress you, your wife and family must have been going and continue to experience.  Good luck on your journey!

Last edited by Cesar on Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:12 pm

Double that ^

Good to see you moving. I have to do yoga stretches every morning before I get out of bed!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Catching up...

Post by ccheatum on Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:14 pm

October 28th
20 min Vinyasa flow
2 miles hiking

October 29th
20 min Vinyasa flow
10 min HIIT workout
45 sec work/15 sec rest each exercise
Jump Lunges
Pushups
Mountain Climbers
Jumping Pullups
Squats
Dips
Deck Squats
Mason Twists
Hip Thrusts
High Knees

October 30th
20 min Vinyasa flow
1 mile hike

October 31st
20 min Vinyasa flow
10 min Tabata intervals
1 min rest between every 4 intervals alternating between burpee jacks and jump squats

November 3rd
20 min Vinyasa flow
10 min Tabata intervals
1 min rest between every 4 intervals alternating between burpee jacks and jumping pullups

November 4th
20 min Vinyasa flow
2 mile hike

November 5th
20 min Vinyasa flow
10 min HIIT
40 sec work 20 sec rest with 30 sec additional rest after every third round
exercises rotating between burpees, deck squats, and high knees

So, the good news is that I have done well at keeping up with the yoga, and I have been good at doing the HIIT workouts 3x per week. Unfortunately, I was not able to get in all of the hiking that I wanted to last week. In fact, I only managed 5 miles with a goal of 15, so I fell pretty far short. I am not doing much better this week either. It is hard to find enough time to get in that many miles per week. I did do some additional work raking leaves over the weekend, which was good, but not really the goal. That said, I am not beating myself up over it. These are goals not things that I have to do. When time is limited, something has to give. If it is some walking, then I am OK with that. Nevertheless, I may try to add in some additional cardio in other ways to support the walking.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:15 am

That's the right attitude. You done good, dog...
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:12 am

CC - you are right. Goals and not things to do. Life happens and you just have to be flexible and get around it. 5 miles is 5 miles. consistency is key. keep it up! With all the things that you have been going through, surviving through, moving around and training is keep to keeping your mood up and feeling good. so keep on keeping on!
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

End of the week

Post by ccheatum on Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:40 pm

November 7th
10 min Yoga flow
5x20 Plate Swings 25 lbs
1 min rest between sets
5 miles hiking

So, the 10 min yoga flow was lame, but that is what I get for randomly trying something off the internet without previewing it first. The plate swings were great! I forget how much I love those. They left me pretty sore though. Then, I managed to do some good walking throughout the day. I hoofed it all over campus from meeting to meeting, so I put in some good miles.

Altogether, I managed a good week. I accumulated 7 miles of walking, which is at least a bit better than the week before. I had good, consistent workouts. I did drop a couple of pounds, so that helps too. Now, I just have to maintain consistency!

P.S. I made the yummiest granola last night! Mmmmm. That will be a great way to breakfast this week!

ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:49 pm

Sounds good Chris! I love granola, especially with yogurt.

So, plate swings, eh? Just pinch gripping the plate? One handed, two, or alternating? Tell me more!
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:36 pm

Thanks, Dave!

I have marcy grip plates, so I can hold them by the open grips in the plates. I did these two handed though I have done them one handed with these plates before as well. Plate swings are some of my favorites in part because it is so easy to just grab the 25 lbs plate and go.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:16 am

Dang that hurt!

So, after doing those swings, my back slipped out, and I could barely walk by Monday. I went to the chiro, and she adjusted me and said that I was to stick with the foam roller and ice for a week. The good news is that I have recovered pretty well, but the bad news is that I spent another week doing almost nothing.

Nevertheless, no sense in crying about it now. I just have to keep going!

So that brings me to this morning...

20 minutes of yoga
EMOTM 10 burpees x5
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:27 am

I feel your pain! Good job getting back on the horse.
Swings make my back feel good, burpees tweak the heck out of it.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:43 am

That sucks, CC. Glad you are better. Meeting with my chiro is as important or more than meeting with my PCP these days. Once per month to see my chiro and I am good to go.

Burpees...
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheesedog on Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:30 am

Burpees are the best, but we forget that they're a high impact exercise. Might want to skip on them for a while until your back is 100%.
Cheesedog
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:00 am

:^: that!
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:49 am

Let's try this again...

So, I got better from the back problems and came down with a nasty cold while my wife was recovering from surgery. Needless to say, between taking care of her and recovering from the cold, I was basically shut down all of last week.

Since then, I have felt better, but I have struggled to get back in the saddle with workouts. I did yoga the first couple of days this week, but I have not been good about doing anything more intense.

Yesterday, it was finally too much! I ate the Thanksgiving dinner and felt like a slug, so I looked around for a good workout that would get my blood flowing without leaving me sore all weekend. Here is what I found...

Turkeyday circuit
30 sec low step runners
30 sec hand step ups
30 sec low step lateral runners
30 sec lateral hand step ups
30 sec low box sprinter step back left
30 sec low box sprinter step back right
1 min rest
5x

This was a great workout. It got me moving at high intensity, and I am not aching today. This is the kind of thing I need to do several times a week. I will be looking for other simple routines like this to rotate between. I need to get in some intense workouts and burn some serious calories to get back on track. My weight feels a bit out of control. I have been improving my diet but have seen only a little progress because I have regressed in terms of activity. I know if I can get my activity level up, then I will see some significant improvements. I have done it before, and I will do it again!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:56 am

Good to see you getting with it!
I also had to work off that over-full feeling last night!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:38 pm

Good Job CC. Just keep fitting it in where you can!
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:47 am

Thanks guys!

Yesterday

10 Jumping pullups
10 Mountain climbers
10 Walking lunges (L/R=1)
10 Pushups
1 min rest
6x

Today

Short turkeyday circuit
30 sec low step runners
30 sec hand step ups
30 sec low step lateral runners
30 sec lateral hand step ups
30 sec low box sprinter step back left
30 sec low box sprinter step back right
1 min rest
3x

Yesterday was a brutal workout. I had no internet so I am logging late, but it was really intense. It reminded me of how out of shape I have become. Today, I am a little sore, but I felt like ha to do something. This little number blasts my lungs but is gentle on the rest of my muscles making it perfect to allow me to recover from yesterday but still pound out a quality workout. I am looking forward to getting up to 10-15 rounds of this workout as I think I could do a lot more of this given a solid training base and some time. For today, I was already a bit tired and short on time, so this quick blaster fit the bill perfectly.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:04 am

CC - that's sounds like a fun time. Look at it as a positive, you can only get better and back in shape from here.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:45 am

Stay faithful on those jumping pull-ups. They will get you to real pull-ups in short order.
I would start out doing however many pull-ups I could (even it's just one) then go onto jumpimg pulls.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:37 am

Thanks guys!

Mike, for me the jumping pullups are a way to do high reps and high rate while still working those pulling muscles. They are a great way to incorporate upper body pulling movements into my HIIT workouts.

ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Wednesday Dec. 3

Post by ccheatum on Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:43 am

Something new

5 squat jacks
5 mountain jumpers
5 burpees
5 jumping pullups
5 deck squats
1 min rest
6x

I tossed together a fun routine today. It seemed easy the first couple of rounds, but it got harder fast! Finishing the last round was tough! Nevertheless, I pounded it out and it was fun. I am starting to feel better doing these workouts suggesting that my body is starting to respond to the training. I anticipate that I will continue to see improvement over the next couple of weeks if I can continue to be consistent.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:42 am

Good work CC. Your body responds alrighty. Sometimes we don't like the response. I'm assuming you're talking the other response here :roflol2:
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:39 am

Monday
10 Jumping pullups
10 Mountain climbers
10 Walking lunges (L/R=1)
10 Pushups
1 min rest
5x

15 min yoga

Wednesday
30 sec Lateral runners
30 sec TGU right
30 sec TGU left
30 sec jumping pullups
30 sec loaded carry
30 sec plate swings
1 min rest
5x

Wife had to have a second surgery last week, so I was off schedule and distracted taking care of her Thursday and Friday. I did not do an intense workout over the weekend, but I did go for long walks. So, Monday was tim to get back with the program. This repeat of the circuit I did a week ago did the trick! Had to go in early for work on Tuesday, so I did not follow up with anything Tuesday, but I did a great workout today! It am tired and it was a lot of fun!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:18 am

You're a good man. Family first!
Good work, too!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:53 am

itlives wrote:You're a good man. Family first!
Good work, too!

x2
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:13 am

Thanks guys! You have it exactly right, family first. All the rest of this will be there, but our loved ones won't always. Gotta make sure that they know how precious they are while we have them. Then, we can make sure we bust our chops on a good workout!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:18 am

Well said!   :nod:
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheesedog on Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:32 am

I hope your wife is recovering well from her surgery.
Cheesedog
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Monday, December 15th

Post by ccheatum on Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:20 am

30 sec Low Step Runners
1 min Loaded Carry
30 sec Shuffle In Place
7 TGU R
30 sec Lateral Step Runners
7 TGU L
30 sec Low Box Sprinter Step Back Floor Touch R
10 Burpees
30 sec Low Box Sprinter Step Back Floor Touch R
10 Swings
1 min rest
3x

20 min Vinyasa Yoga

20 min dog walk

What a great workout today! I did an intense circuit, did one of my favorite yoga routines, and I walked the dog in the rain. It was all good! I had an intense weekend as both of my sons did robotics competitions over the weekend, one Saturday and the other Sunday. It was fun but exhausting. Now I am god to get back to a more normal routine. I give a final this week at 7:30 AM. and my in-laws are coming for a few days. This things will get in the way of my regular workouts, so it was important to start the week right. I will do the best I can to keep a consistent schedule this week, in spite of the interruptions.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:27 am

Good work! Nice start to the week.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:46 am

CC - good job getting it in this morning. Good luck with everything else, sounds like a busy week. May I suggest doing some tabata rounds - 30s/10s x 8, 12, 16 or 24? I have been doing them to raise intensity as well as when not much time in the mornings.
I have done some recently, based on cheese and 12 min athlete
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:02 pm

NIce one CC!
30 sec shuffle in place sounds like me making my way to the coffee pot :D
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible