PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

TMK 2014 - Just Keep Going

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: TMK 2014 - Just Keep Going

Post by Journeyman on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:47 pm

How'd the bag feel? Probably a bit friendlier on the hands and shoulders, I'm guessing?
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMasterKey on Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:26 pm

Journeyman wrote:How'd the bag feel? Probably a bit friendlier on the hands and shoulders, I'm guessing?

Short version - The bag is lighter, so I wanted to hit the same movement with higher volume.  It felt good.

Long version -

The bag is at least 20lbs lighter than my current keg.  In addition, the bag weight is tightly packed, so there isn't much shifting of its contents during the set.  The keg on the other hand is only around 2/3's full, and that sloshing water can make it unwieldly.

The first rep of every set is harder with the bag because I have to get much lower to the ground to scoop it up.

The difference on the impact of my hands was minimal.  The keg is easier to grip, but is still harder due to its heavier weight.

The impact on the shoulders may have been worse with the bag.  The keg has to land flat on the shoulder, which can cause some bruising, but generally doesn't hurt.  But with the bag, the middle of the bag would land on my shoulder first, and then the end of the bag would kind of slingshot around and land/slam into my upper back, which was somewhat jarring.

I know kegs and sandbags tend to be mentioned in the same breath, but in this case...

A tightly filled 80lb bag VS 2/3's filled keg, aren't really comparable, IMO.
TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMasterKey on Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:33 pm

2-15-14

Night
-Neck exercises
-Front of neck raises, lying face up on bench - 70 reps, 30 reps
-Back of neck raises, head harness w/no weight - 100 reps
-Sides of neck, leaning on the side of bench - 100 reps ea

I bought Mike "The Machine" Bruce's 'Total Neck Training' DVD.  I learned some stuff directly and indirectly from it, but the bottom line is I need consistency.  My overall routine was keeping my neck at a decent level when I was working out more regularly, but it's heading in the wrong direction now.  A low carb "diet" isn't helping either.  I have to get the training back on schedule, and throw some work like today's in on the off days.
TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:28 am

TheMasterKey wrote:
Journeyman wrote:How'd the bag feel? Probably a bit friendlier on the hands and shoulders, I'm guessing?

Short version - The bag is lighter, so I wanted to hit the same movement with higher volume.  It felt good.

Long version -

The bag is at least 20lbs lighter than my current keg.  In addition, the bag weight is tightly packed, so there isn't much shifting of its contents during the set.  The keg on the other hand is only around 2/3's full, and that sloshing water can make it unwieldly.

The first rep of every set is harder with the bag because I have to get much lower to the ground to scoop it up.

The difference on the impact of my hands was minimal.  The keg is easier to grip, but is still harder due to its heavier weight.

The impact on the shoulders may have been worse with the bag.  The keg has to land flat on the shoulder, which can cause some bruising, but generally doesn't hurt.  But with the bag, the middle of the bag would land on my shoulder first, and then the end of the bag would kind of slingshot around and land/slam into my upper back, which was somewhat jarring.

I know kegs and sandbags tend to be mentioned in the same breath, but in this case...

A tightly filled 80lb bag VS 2/3's filled keg, aren't really comparable, IMO.

Thanks for the assessment. That's pretty interesting; more or less what I assumed except for the impact factor. I heard that kegs can bruise the ears, side of head, etc. more than a bag, stuff like that.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:46 pm

Hey TMK! Where ye be?
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:35 am

itlives wrote:Hey TMK! Where ye be?
Yeah, where are you?
Business got you too busy to post? Or are you slacking off?
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:34 am

My guess - business for sure
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:22 pm

Yeah, I don't think slacking is in his DNA.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:43 am

Hey TMK, where you at.  Hope all's well?
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMasterKey on Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:11 am

Thanks for reaching out, fellas.  For better or worse, I haven't been reading much fitness stuff in a long time.

I have still been working regularly and keeping a log.  And yes, still working on the keg.  :| I have no accurate way to measure, but I think it's near 3/4's full.  It's fair to say I completely underestimated how difficult this would be.  Saner men would have probably quit by now.  Had I been more consistent (on specifically working the keg), I could have probably completed this already.  But I can't go back, so I will keep pushing forward.

I'll be stepping away from the forum again; hope everyone is doing good.
---

With that said, I'm checking in to the forum for a specific reason..

We have the presidential election on Tuesday, and I strongly encourage all Americans to vote Trump!  If you are somehow still undecided - there's still room for YOU on the Trump train!  And if you're already on board, make sure you go out and vote, and encourage anyone you can to vote Trump as well!  

MAGA!
TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:28 pm

Definitely no Hillary!
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com