PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

bone strength, pain tolerance, mental toughness

View previous topic View next topic Go down

bone strength, pain tolerance, mental toughness

Post by Iliander on Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:10 pm

i wanna add an extra routine where i do fist clap push-ups on the street, and maybe dropping on the points of my elbows to strengthen that too. and hitting a tree with my whole body to strengthen everything. i want to be as strong as possible but i also wanna strengthen for when a person attacks me. my bones and inner core gotta be rock solid to resist punches... thoughts?
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Re: bone strength, pain tolerance, mental toughness

Post by Black. on Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:22 pm

:zerk:
Black.
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:49 pm

Work into it slowly. Bone remodeling is the slowest of all physiological processes, so just going out and punching trees and crap is plain stupid and will do you more harm than good, in all likelihood.

What I would do is vary the surface. Maybe start on carpet, move to stiff carpet, tile floor/wood floor, outside on grass, concrete, etc. Also, if you're going to jump straight to concrete, I would say keep the strength of punches and kicks low at first and increase the intensity of the punches over time. That way, you're working within your body's natural remodeling processes.

What will happen is your bones will selectively remodel in the areas of the most stress. If you got a before and after DEXA scan, you could see where and how much bone was added in detail, and could see YOUR skeleton. Pretty cool. Probably don't have access to it though. So, you'll increase BMD (bone mineral density), but it will be a selective increase, i.e., in the places of most stress (like right on top of the elbow, on the shin, etc.).

That's how I would go about it, anyway.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:49 pm

Josh T. wrote:Work into it slowly. Bone remodeling is the slowest of all physiological processes, so just going out and punching trees and crap is plain stupid and will do you more harm than good, in all likelihood.

What I would do is vary the surface. Maybe start on carpet, move to stiff carpet, tile floor/wood floor, outside on grass, concrete, etc. Also, if you're going to jump straight to concrete, I would say keep the strength of punches and kicks low at first and increase the intensity of the punches over time. That way, you're working within your body's natural remodeling processes.

What will happen is your bones will selectively remodel in the areas of the most stress. If you got a before and after DEXA scan, you could see where and how much bone was added in detail, and could see YOUR skeleton. Pretty cool. Probably don't have access to it though. So, you'll increase BMD (bone mineral density), but it will be a selective increase, i.e., in the places of most stress (like right on top of the elbow, on the shin, etc.).

That's how I would go about it, anyway.
makes sense, and yeah definitely working into it slowly on the hard street.

that DEXA scan sounds pretty cool.

thanks for the advice!
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:55 pm

Honest question mate, are you worried something's gonna happen? There's no preparing for a situation believe me... Fight or flight. I wouldn't really worry about one person attacking you because end of the day you can run. I would be more worried about multi opponents. That's what I train for anyway.

But back to your question. Hitting trees is like a karate kid myth (plus don't be mean to trees :) they give us oxygen) knuckle push ups on hard carpet can be very interesting, made my knuckles go black and tough.

I would say the two best things to do is...
1. Get a punch bag, preferably a heavy one, and just use wraps. Punching a bag will make your grip go up a lot.
2. Get a mate to spar with you (with gloves). You need to be punched in the face a few times to get over the mental block of actually being punched.

Now that I have done martial arts and come away from the "brawling boxing" style I learnt as a child, I have learnt that even basic knowledge helps. And "moves" I thought would never work actually do. If someone grabs you, step on their foot.

Not pretending to be an Internet 'ard nut but after being bullied when I was younger and then deciding to do something about it, I have never been bullied again and never had my nose broken. Also I have never been successfully mugged even after multiple attempts.

Just looking out for you mate, and anyone else. My two cents. Join a martial art if anything.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMasterKey on Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:57 pm

Join a boxing gym.

You'll learn how to defend yourself, so you hopefully won't have to take a beating on the street.

But you WILL take plenty of beatings in the gym.   :lol:
TheMasterKey
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:30 pm

Rix wrote:Honest question mate, are you worried something's gonna happen? There's no preparing for a situation believe me... Fight or flight. I wouldn't really worry about one person attacking you because end of the day you can run. I would be more worried about multi opponents. That's what I train for anyway.

But back to your question. Hitting trees is like a karate kid myth (plus don't be mean to trees :)they give us oxygen) knuckle push ups on hard carpet can be very interesting, made my knuckles go black and tough.

I would say the two best things to do is...
1. Get a punch bag, preferably a heavy one, and just use wraps. Punching a bag will make your grip go up a lot.
2. Get a mate to spar with you (with gloves). You need to be punched in the face a few times to get over the mental block of actually being punched.

Now that I have done martial arts and come away from the "brawling boxing" style I learnt as a child, I have learnt that even                        basic knowledge helps. And "moves" I thought would never work actually do. If someone grabs you, step on their foot.

Not pretending to be an Internet 'ard nut but after being bullied when I was younger and then deciding to do something about it, I have never been bullied again and never had my nose broken. Also I have never been successfully mugged even after multiple attempts.

Just looking out for you mate, and anyone else. My two cents. Join a martial art if anything.

TheMasterKey wrote:Join a boxing gym.

You'll learn how to defend yourself, so you hopefully won't have to take a beating on the street.

But you WILL take plenty of beatings in the gym.   :lol:
nah mate not worried at all just wanna be prepared for anything.

haha, i just like the idea of taking down trees to train your whole body strength.

punch bag sounds cool, good idea.

i have no interest to join a martial art or boxing club atm though.

thanks fellas!
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:40 pm

Rix wrote:There's no preparing for a situation believe me...

I strongly believe fight or flight can be controlled, especially by breath and focus. It is indeed possible to be in control of oneself at all times, it just takes preparation and training. Not saying that Ili or you or I are Tibetan monks or something, but we can certainly exercise calm control, even if surprised, given that we are prepared in advance with solid principles and a foundation of physical, mental and emotional fitness.

That said, I agree with everything else that you and (everyone else) said in this thread.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:56 pm

Dave wrote:
Rix wrote:There's no preparing for a situation believe me...

I strongly believe fight or flight can be controlled, especially by breath and focus.  It is indeed possible to be in control of oneself at all times, it just takes preparation and training.  Not saying that Ili or you or I are Tibetan monks or something, but we can certainly exercise calm control, even if surprised, given that we are prepared in advance with solid principles and a foundation of physical, mental and emotional fitness.

That said, I agree with everything else that you and (everyone else) said in this thread.

Maybe. I would have to agree and disagree. If you train in MA and have a lot of life experience under your belt then naturaly you should be able to manage situations a lot better. That being said no two instances are the same, you can't train for everything. That's where fight or flight kicks in. When I see danger I go towards it. I would risk my life to save anyone because that is my principles and belief, ultimately I know people who are tougher or older and wiser who would run away as soon as possible. Ultimately I would probly agree. A strong mind set can overcome a lot.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:33 pm

Punching trees and breaking crap is cool and all, but takes decades of bone conditioning to do it for real.

Heavy lifting will increase bone density, working with a makiwara or striking your forearms (sharp rapping motions) with a stick or cane will toughen the skin. Some boxers do this, manny pacquiao for example.

Plyo work can increase bone density as well, or so I've heard. Plyo pushups on your knuckles starting on soft ground and progressing to rubber mats might toughen the skin of your knuckles and solidify your wrists, too.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:21 pm

Journeyman wrote:Punching trees and breaking crap is cool and all, but takes decades of bone conditioning to do it for real.

Heavy lifting will increase bone density, working with a makiwara or striking your forearms (sharp rapping motions) with a stick or cane will toughen the skin. Some boxers do this, manny pacquiao for example.

Plyo work can increase bone density as well, or so I've heard. Plyo pushups on your knuckles starting on soft ground and progressing to rubber mats might toughen the skin of your knuckles and solidify your wrists, too.
I heard low reps works best for bone density, so basically anything strength training is gonna increase bone density right?
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:36 pm

It's a matter of overload (and the adaptation that induces) not rep range... heavier weights and higher drops/jumps will increase bone density and connective tissue strength, or they should.

Theoretically, this could be done with high reps. I know that some GS lifters have done ridiculously overloaded partial plyos for high reps, for example. But yeah, low reps for the most part.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:35 pm

Plyos have the greatest effect on increasing BMD, followed by heavy lifting. I had to read some research reviews on this stuff last semester, and as of right now, that's what the literature tends to support. Probably why I have a bone density that is 3.5 standard deviations better than the average young adult male population (3.5 standard deviations makes me an outlier; my bone density is literally better than over 99% of all young adult males out there). Lots of plyos from basketball, lots of heavy lifting over the past couple of years. But, like I said, bone remodeling is SLOOWWW (averages like 6-12 months or so, and to replace a complete bone, i.e., remineralize the whole thing, takes something like 3 YEARS), and you should also take it slow. Don't do anything stupid or idiotic.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:24 am

And we know you won't, which is why you asked here in the first place.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:25 am

Josh T. wrote:I have a bone density that is 3.5 standard deviations better than the average young adult male population (3.5 standard deviations makes me an outlier; my bone density is literally better than over 99% of all young adult males out there).

Interesting Josh. I backed out of our squat challenge, but I have another in mind. Have any interest in jumping off a roof?  :eyebrows: 
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:58 am

alright i get it. thanks for the replies.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:21 am

Dave wrote:
Josh T. wrote:I have a bone density that is 3.5 standard deviations better than the average young adult male population (3.5 standard deviations makes me an outlier; my bone density is literally better than over 99% of all young adult males out there).

Interesting Josh.  I backed out of our squat challenge, but I have another in mind.  Have any interest in jumping off a roof?   :eyebrows: 

I've done it before. Back when I was practicing parkour, I jumped off a 20 foot edge, rolled out of it, and kept on sprinting. I'm not about doing that on a regular basis though! Haha.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:27 pm

Wait a minute Ili, I haven't had my say yet!

All good answers in here. The knowledge base is incredible!
I think you should not gloss over what J-man said. The makiwara is a great tool. You Tube "Iron Shirt" AND "Iron Palm" training. Do not discount the liniments the monks use -they work.
DO NOT cut corners if you're serious about this kind of training. It takes years.
Just like we break down our muscles a little bit and they grow back stronger, so do your bones but way slower.
Many light hits is the way to go.
A few hard hits is the way to arthritis.
The liniments (you may have seen Dave and me talking about dit da jow) are crucial.
There are different kinds, Do your homework...
Safe, smart training coupled with patience and you'll be a force to be reckoned with!
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:09 pm

itlives wrote:Wait a minute Ili, I haven't had my say yet!

All good answers in here. The knowledge base is incredible!
I think you should not gloss over what J-man said. The makiwara is a great tool. You Tube "Iron Shirt" AND "Iron Palm" training. Do not discount the liniments the monks use -they work.
DO NOT cut corners if you're serious about this kind of training. It takes years.
Just like we break down our muscles a little bit and they grow back stronger, so do your bones but way slower.
Many light hits is the way to go.
A few hard hits is the way to arthritis.
The liniments (you may have seen Dave and me talking about dit da jow) are crucial.
There are different kinds, Do your homework...
Safe, smart training coupled with patience and you'll be a force to be reckoned with!
thanks! very useful
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:13 pm

Josh T. wrote:
Dave wrote:

Interesting Josh.  I backed out of our squat challenge, but I have another in mind.  Have any interest in jumping off a roof?   :eyebrows: 

I've done it before. Back when I was practicing parkour, I jumped off a 20 foot edge, rolled out of it, and kept on sprinting. I'm not about doing that on a regular basis though! Haha.

Wholly crap Josh, you've got me beat by 6 whole feet! I didn't roll though, but still... 20 feet! That's like jumping off a T-rex!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:25 pm

Well Dave, your jump was like jumping off a T-rex folding clothes. (because his arms are short, he has to bend down).
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:13 am

Haha, that's hilarious! :) 
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:20 am

itlives wrote:Well Dave, your jump was like jumping off a T-rex folding clothes. (because his arms are short, he has to bend down).

Why would a T-rex fold his clothes? First of all, they went naked, and second, if you're king of the dinos don't you get to do whatever the hell you want?  :wave: :angryrex: 
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:22 am

I didn't say he folded HIS clothes. I train T-rex's to fold MY clothes!
King of dinos means nothing in the dungeon!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:00 pm

You have a T-rex that lives and breathes in the dungeon do you? Most excellent!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:24 pm

You are one tough hombre'!!!  :pirate: :twisted: :boxer: :hatsoff: 
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down