PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Insomnia...kind of.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Insomnia...kind of.

Post by tilles on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:53 am

Lately I've been experiencing some kind of Insomnia...meaning : I have problems falling asleep which results in less sleep overall. Yesterday for example I was really tired so I went to bed at 9pm ( have to get up between 6 and 7) and actually spent 4 hours just lying in my bed and waiting to fall asleep :headbang:
Anyone else experienced shit like that ? Any tips ?

Help me, please ! :)
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Re: Insomnia...kind of.

Post by Iliander on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:08 am

Hey Tilles,

My advice: Don't sit in front of your comp, watch TV, nor read anything that lasts a long amount of time before going to sleep. Just make sure your mind hasn't been too busy right before going to sleep. That's all I can say...

Any idea what might be the cause of this?
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:46 am

A lot of sleep problems are stress related. Can be anything... job, diet, relationships, injury, or any number of other things.
I agree with Iliander. Your mind needs relaxing at the end of the day.
Try what he said and some herbal relaxing tea. If you pray, do that - it helps me.
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am

I don't know what your bedtime routine is or what it entails.
Like Ili said, you gotta unplug so let your body relax and get into sleep mode.
I would say if looking at going to bed at 9pm, take a hot shower (add essential oils as needed - relaxation ones), dim lights - "turn the volume down" on everything - shut everything down - phones, computers, tv, everything. Maybe drink warm milk - i know it is weird but the enzyme is melotonin. if you are not a milk drinker then you can go to a pharmacy or health food store and purchase it in caps...depends on where you live it is sold in 2mg, 3,mg, 4mg caps.
Sweet dreams!

http://blogs.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/2008/01/warm-milk-true-or-false.html
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:00 pm

Thanks guys ! I already tried the warm milk...I know that it's supposed to help and I actually know a few people personally that get sleepy from drinkin warm milk before bedtime...but unfortunatley warm milk doesn't affect my sleep -.- i like to drink just for nutritional benefits though. Might give melotonin a try...

To the other tips - actually all my electronic devices are turned off when I go to sleep, the only thing that is still 'alive' is my phone, BUT it is turned on flight mode...i only need it as a clock.

Do you guys have any ideas what to do right before bedtime ( because you mentioned not to sit in front of the pc,tv etc.) besides prayin ?

Thank you again - your help is appreciated :)
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:28 pm

tilles wrote:Do you guys have any ideas what to do right before bedtime ( because you mentioned not to sit in front of the pc,tv etc.) besides prayin ?
Drinking warm milk! :mrgreen:

Try getting to sleep earlier (if you are currently going to bed late), this also helps.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:34 pm

Iliander wrote:
tilles wrote:Do you guys have any ideas what to do right before bedtime ( because you mentioned not to sit in front of the pc,tv etc.) besides prayin ?
Drinking warm milk! :mrgreen:

Try getting to sleep earlier (if you are currently going to bed late), this also helps.

My problem is that I can't fall asleep, even when I#m going to bad early...trust me I would LOVE to go to bed early and actually fall asleep and get something between 8 and 9 hours of sleep...currently I'm at 5-6 hours which is not enough ( at least it feels like that, I want MORE sleep).

I don't even want to think about the preparation for my finals which begins in 2 weeks or something...during that time i'll probably down to 4 hours -.-
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:44 pm

try melotonin.
what time do you work out?
many people get wired by workign out before bed but i sleep great...hot long shower...to relax. also, essential oils work too...hot bath?
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:58 pm

my workout time varies but usually somewhere between 4-6 pm.
hot bath is no option...just got a shower. you guys are all recommending hot showers - what actually helps me to get at least a little sleepy is a cold shower before bed. I know usually people think it gets you awake but somehow you get that sleepy feeling after a cold shower before bedtime.
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:51 pm

maybe working out between 4-6pm is too awakening for your body. you might want to try to work out in the AM. it might help
Cold showers are invigorating
hot showers are relaxing but it might be different for you.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:54 pm

Inca Warrior wrote:maybe working out between 4-6pm is too awakening for your body. you might want to try to work out in the AM. it might help

yeah it might - but that's hard to fit in to my schedule...most times i got lecture in the morning and workin out before 9:30 or something doesn't work for me...tried that many times.
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:16 pm

exams - stress?
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:19 pm

yeah - could be...i mean which exams aren't stressful right ? :D
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:54 pm

then I am fresh out of ideas...how about a tall glass of red wine...good for the heart and will help with sleep...it works wonders for me... :twisted:
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisTG on Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:22 pm

Hey, I definitely have been there before (a few times I have been unable to sleep the whole night- awful). I have had trouble sleeping my entire life.

Stress or having things weighing on your mind can definitely keep you up at night, you need to push those thoughts aside. You're already in bed, you're not going to deal with it until you wake up, so actively push it out of your mind with that logic.

I have tried melatonin and didn't find it did much for me, unless I ate a bunch and it didn't help me sleep better, just helped me fall asleep.

I have recently been taking a supplement called ZMA, which is a zinc & magnesium supplement that also helps with sleep. I have been sleeping noticeably better since I started taking it at bedtime. I haven't had any troubles falling asleep and have been waking up well rested. On nights were I haven't gotten enough sleep I have felt much better the next day. I have been taking it for about a month with a friend, who has also found it really improved his sleep.

Though you can't drink milk (or anything high in calcium) with ZMA, since it blocks absorption of the minerals. I can sleep, so I ain't complaining lol

Anyway I definitely recommend trying it out!

ChrisTG
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:58 pm

Iliander wrote:My advice: Don't sit in front of your comp, watch TV, nor read anything that lasts a long amount of time before going to sleep. Just make sure your mind hasn't been too busy right before going to sleep. That's all I can say...

As a matter of fact reading in bed nearly always puts me to sleep. Just keep a dim light on, just bright enough you can read, and get comfortable. Now read your book. Make sure it is not some exciting sci-fi thriller, but an encyclopedia, history book or the Bible (preferably a book from the new testament, which is perfect to be read in short sittings while still getting the complete individual story).

Worked like a charm for me... when I used to actually do it. Never slept better in my life than when I used to go to sleep reading a good book. I think I'll be getting back on that habit. :idea2:

Last edited by Dave.cyco on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:53 pm

Try taking a hot bath with a cup or epsom salts, works very well. Or when you are lying there, try counting backwards from 100. Visualize the number as you count, it keeps your mind from wandering.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:09 am

Okdidoky guys - I'll give your mehtods a try ! Thanks again for the help !

Little Update : Yesterday I turned everything off like 20 minutes before I went to bed and did a little static stretching session and then went to bed with earplugs - i still needed an hour or longer to fall asleep but i definetly got better. Also the quality of my sleep - I felt better the next morning.

I think I'm going to make the stretching before bedtime a daily habit and maybe get some relaxing herbal tea today. I might also try ZMA and melatonin ( although I want to try to get a healthy sleep without any supplements - melatonin will be like my last option ;) ).
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:34 am

Hi mate.
I went through a period of insomnia a few years back. Shift work that involved high stress and had trouble switching my mind off.
Tried most of the suggestions that have been posted.... Especially the red wine :doh:
What worked for me, but possibly not for everyone was an insomnia self hypnosis mp3. I haven't used it for a year or so now, but when I have trouble switching the mind off, I am still able to picture in my mind several of the visualisations and drift off to sleep without a problem.

http://www.rickcollingwood.com/?q=shop/insomnia-cure

Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:15 am

Paul Collier Slow Down

I've been listening to this off and on for years now.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top