PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Changes to the forum? Spring cleaning

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Changes to the forum? Spring cleaning

Post by Dave on Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:35 pm

I have a few ideas for the spring, and would like everyone's thoughts.

Quote of the month
No more than a handful of people ever got involved in nominating or voting for QOTM, so I've been toying with the idea of putting up some of the quotes that have already been nominated and leaving them up to scroll forever.  And new ones can be added as well.  The name of the person who said it with a link to his or her training log would be added as well.  But with enough quotes this could make the scroll very long, but that doesn't bother me really.  Any other ideas about this?  Voting required?  Would anyone like to take over QOTM and see if you can inject some new life into it?

Challenges
Voting on challenges has produced mixed results and often no more than a handful of members participate anyway.  I am totally open to ideas on how to restructure this, including whether we should arrange some kind of prize system where everyone pitches in towards 1st, 2nd and third prize.  Could be a sum of money, could be a gift certificate for supplements or equipment, etc.  Or something else where the winner gets to craft a workout (or torture) session for the runners up?

Delete a bunch of smilies.  
We have way too many and most of them do not get used, or have only been used a handful of times.  I intend to delete the following, unless anyone has objections, and if you have any you think should be deleted, post them for my consideration.

:chef: :geek::police::pirate::kitty::puppy::o::tongue::cheeky::swim::mad::rant::smashpc::duh::blah::!::?::confused::jealous::yawn::sleepy: :why?!::wth::geg::zaru::inca::barbellcurl::jump::snatch::CJ::plow::stitch::sharky::adminbwc:

These are just a few ideas to begin a conversation.  I'm open to suggestions.  Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Dave on Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Changes to the forum? Spring cleaning

Post by Iliander on Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:26 pm

for the emoticons i don't understand why you would remove these:
 :!:  :?:  :blah:  :confused:  :jealous:  :duh:  :rant:  :tongue:  :chef: 
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:45 pm

Just haven't seen them around much.  If you want to keep them let me know and I'll take them off the chopping block.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:54 pm

Dave wrote:Just haven't seen them around much.  If you want to keep them let me know and I'll take them off the chopping block.
i think they're used frequently i would like to keep them :tongue: 
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:05 pm

About the challenges, I enjoy them. I was not involved much for about 9 months but still enjoy them.
I'm not keen on money or certificates as a prize. The prize imo should be feeling healthier, stronger, etc and can also get expensive. The torute workout sou ds fun though. Minding that not everyone has access to multiple oieces of equipment.
I say keep them..maybe more like calling each other out. Bill and I have been doing g snatches and I like it
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:21 pm

Yeah what you and Bill are doing is totally cool. I was just thinking there might be some way to get more people motivated to do a community wide challenge. I agree that getting to torture your opponents if you win sounds like a lot of fun! It was fun, in fact. That's how I ended up doing "deadlift hell"; I lost to Matt last year in a race to deadlift 330 x 5 (which is so easy now, haha). So he crafted the workout and I did it (months later :razz:)
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:51 am

we gotta do something about the challenges...

first of all challenges gotta be ultra simple imo.

but it also gotta have different levels so that everyone can join and try to be the best or at least rank high in whatever level he chooses (or multiple levels or all the levels).

example:

1 - max dips in 10 min
2 - max dips + 20 kg in 10 min
3 - max dips + 40 kg in 10 min
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:10 am

:O Don't get rid of my stitch  :stitch: that's my guy! Haha nah I kid, some of the smileys can go, but :blah:  :jealous: are pretty good ones.

With challenges I think the top three should make a workout together for the rest of the forum. Therefore you get a nice mixed input and different ideas for a better torture... I mean workout.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:16 am

Rix wrote::O Don't get rid of my stitch  :stitch: that's my guy! Haha nah I kid, some of the smileys can go, but :blah:  :jealous: are pretty good ones.

With challenges I think the top three should make a workout together for the rest of the forum. Therefore you get a nice mixed input and different ideas for a better torture... I mean workout.
i think the torture is a stupid idea... some people can't do some exercises, and nobody looks forward to interrupting their training because of a torture workout that someone else made... if we gonna do it like that the challenges will be a failure and nobody gonna participate just like now.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:21 am

Suppose. But I think that's the problem anyway, not everyone can get involved so they don't. Like not everyone has a kb or can do HeSPU.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:24 am

Rix wrote:Suppose. But I think that's the problem anyway, not everyone can get involved so they don't. Like not everyone has a kb or can do HeSPU.
yeah but you don't have to make the problem worse. that's what the torture workout will do, make even less people participate.

if we keep the challenges simple, with different levels (for example 3) so that everyone can participate... more people will participate.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:27 am

Yeah that's what I said before. If we do a squat challenge for example, you could have 3 categories, weighted, adv BW and simple BW and have a point system to do with volume, difficulty, weight... Etc. that way everyone can compare
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:35 am

For example...

1 squat at 100kg = 1pt for vol + 100pt for kg + 10pts for skill
25 pistols = 25pt for vol x 5 for skill
50 bw squats = 50pt for vol x 2 for skill

Very vague example, I'm sure there's a better formula
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:30 am

I don't bother that much about the qotm -sorry -, but I enjoy reading them, so a few quotes sprinkled in now and then would be nice.

No idea on the challenges, but I think one should be encouraged to host them. I mean everyone should try to come up with one and do that for one month - even unaccompanied, if so.

You can never have too much smilies.

Loaded carries would be nice, anyone?

Last edited by Avocadoshake on Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:56 pm

Rix wrote:For example...

1 squat at 100kg = 1pt for vol + 100pt for kg + 10pts for skill
25 pistols = 25pt for vol x 5 for skill
50 bw squats = 50pt for vol x 2 for skill

Very vague example, I'm sure there's a better formula
you gave me an idea:

1 pull-up = 4 pt
1 dip = 2 pt
1 push-up = 1 pt

highest score in 10 min
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:59 pm

:hatsoff: 
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:20 pm

Double hatsoff!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:21 pm

Iliander wrote:
1 pull-up = 4 pt
1 dip = 2 pt
1 push-up = 1 pt
highest score in 10 min

We come even up with a point system for all exercises and then just have at it for max points in 10, 20, 30 minutes...
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:57 am

Dave wrote:
Iliander wrote:
1 pull-up = 4 pt
1 dip = 2 pt
1 push-up = 1 pt
highest score in 10 min

We come even up with a point system for all exercises and then just have at it for max points in 10, 20, 30 minutes...
ok but what exercises?
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:06 pm

Hey did the forum get hacked? I keep seeing weird links pop up in posts (text is converted to links), and there is a "suggested similar topics" list at the bottom of each thread with nonsensical suggestions.

Or maybe it's my computer?
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:50 pm

^ Happens to me too. Think it's the forum host; doesn't happen on other sites/boards and my computer is clean.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:12 pm

dunno what you talking about?!
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:15 pm

I think what you're (Rich) talking about only happens to me when I'm not logged in.

As far as challenges go, this is right under our web name up top
Training logs and discussion of bodyweight exercise, gymnastics, kettlebells, martial arts, powerlifting, Olympic lifting, strongman and physical fitness training in general.

There's so many different things we all do, it's understandable why there's only a few participants in any one challenge.
I like challenges, but I don't like them if they are taking me WAY out of my regular endeavors.

I have another challenge for the mods and admins. Every week make it a priority to check in with a couple members you don't normally follow. If you already do it, kudos to you!
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:55 pm

itlives wrote:I have another challenge for the mods and admins. Every week make it a priority to check in with a couple members you don't normally follow. If you already do it, kudos to you!
i check all logs, and i write something if i find something useful to write... sometimes i just don't know what to say.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:58 pm

I'l check in with one or two I don't normally read and go back and read a few posts. Then, I normally have something to say. Even it's just "Hey, checking your work. Good job!"
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:09 am

itlives wrote:I'l check in with one or two I don't normally read and go back and read a few posts. Then, I normally have something to say. Even it's just "Hey, checking your work. Good job!"

I have to say, that kind of thing is part of why I keep coming back. These things work because they build community. Everyone wants to feel like they belong.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:19 am

Fatman wrote:Hey did the forum get hacked? I keep seeing weird links pop up in posts (text is converted to links), and there is a "suggested similar topics" list at the bottom of each thread with nonsensical suggestions.

Or maybe it's my computer?

I've never seen it before, EXCEPT when I have had a worm or some other malware.

Journeyman wrote:^ Happens to me too. Think it's the forum host; doesn't happen on other sites/boards and my computer is clean.

If your computer is clean then it makes no sense. I have never seen it on my computer on or any other pc that I use to check this forum.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:20 am

itlives wrote:I have another challenge for the mods and admins. Every week make it a priority to check in with a couple members you don't normally follow. If you already do it, kudos to you!

I check in with everyone, though I may not always reply; I'm genuinely interested in seeing the improvements everyone is making.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:23 am

Iliander wrote:
i check all logs, and i write something if i find something useful to write... sometimes i just don't know what to say.

Some logs don't really call for much of a response.  When the person posting simply enumerates exercises and sets and reps, there is little material for discussion, except maybe if one doesn't know an exercise name.  It's when people add in commentary that there is a personal touch and a discussions more likely to ensue.  But just saying

Date

exercise 1
2 x 10

exercise 2
3 x 8

exercise 3
5 x 5

Doesn't really inspire much of a response from most people.  I can tell because not only do I usually not have much to say here, but these logs tend to have few comments other than from the person logging, interspersed with the obligatory encouragement from Cheesedog of course (what a stand up guy!).
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:30 am

Dave makes an excellent point here!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:54 am

Hey, sometimes I can't think of anything to say either!
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:02 am

Then we know that log is in trouble!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:08 am

I think this is what Cheese is talking about. It's at the bottom left of my screen if I don't log in