PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Bulking on a vegan diet, impossible?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bulking on a vegan diet, impossible?

Post by zuppi86 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:43 pm

So I turned vegan a few months ago. To make for a long story short, there is a terrible waste of life going on in the dairy and meat industry and I didn't feel particularly well about having meat rot in my stomach. Anyway, I've dropped weight ever since as you can imagine. About two months ago I decided to put back a few pounds but I'm stagnating at the same weight, no matter how much and how frequently I eat. How many more calories do I need to add before I see a result?  :facepalm: 

Here's what I typically eat, though not the same every day.

Breakfast: Almond butter sandwich, with fresh fruit, homemade strawberry jam and chia seeds. I drink it down with rice milk

Lunch: Brown rice and avocado salad, dark chocolate for dessert

Snack: fresh fruit, nuts

Pre-workout: sweet potatoes baked in the oven, maple syrup and almond butter (this alone accounts for 500+ calories)

Post-workout: complete oats in coconut milk, with fresh fruit and chia seeds

Supper: brown rice, tempeh, spinach or kale. Ice cream for dessert.

I want to avoid supplements, I'd rather spend my money on whole food.

zuppi86
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Re: Bulking on a vegan diet, impossible?

Post by Journeyman on Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:00 pm

1. Yes, very doable. Mike Mahler is vegan. Also, I have a friend who's vegan (and female) and has succeeded in putting quite a few pounds of muscular weight on.

2. You need to eat a lot more. Try to get 1,000 extra calories a day, and plenty of protein. Seems like you're just having normal, healthy meals with a few extra snacks in between. Which is fine, but it won't put size on you especially if you're not predisposed to being a bigger fellow.

3. You'll probably need supplements. Without meat, eggs, milk, etc. it'll be hard to get enough protein, for one thing. There are plenty of vegan-friendly options out there. 1k extra calories a day beyond your normal diet, and +1g of protein/lb of bodyweight are numbers commonly thrown around but seem to be pretty accurate; so try to hit those.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:31 am

can't you at least eat eggs?
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:45 am

I'm with Ili, at least eat eggs!

And by the way, ice cream? As in made with milk?
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:53 am

Like jman said...Mike Mahler is vegan as well and look at him :P You might check his website as well, I think he put some recipes and articles about the wgole "vegan and muscle" thingy online.
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:44 pm

Eggs aren't vegan, guys.

I'm assuming that OP's ice cream is 'special' in some way, as well. As long as it ain't animal milk it's okay.... Personally I can't imagine non-animal milk ice cream, but to each his own, hah.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:30 pm

Nuts, oats, fruits and protein shakes! Boom!

I love almond butter and "if it's not brown, don't chow down" - Simpsons.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:05 pm

Jman's right. Vegan is strict. You are an ovo-lacto vegetarian if you have eggs, milk and cheese.
Vegans eats nothing that has a face or that came from something with a face.

I've had coconut ice cream before. It was delicious and had a good consistency.

Chick peas (garbanzo beans) have a better amino profile than eggs. I bought a BUNCH of them raw and organic. I soak them over night in water. Rinse and leave in colander. (working with two cups here)
Mix up chipotle sauce (or any hot sauce on hand), salt, 3-4 tbls of olive or coconut oil, garlic salt.
Put it all in a bag and shake it up good.
Spread it out on a cookie sheet 1 layer deep.
Bake at 350F until brown/crunchy -took mine about 50 mniutes
Let cool and snack all day for a long time!

Garbanzo beans are inexpensive. You can buy them canned and won't have to soak them. I bought organic.
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:56 pm

^ And being strict vegan, not 'merely' ovo-lacto-vegetarian, gives you powers.

Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by zuppi86 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:14 pm

itlives wrote:
Mix up chipotle sauce (or any hot sauce on hand), salt, 3-4 tbls of olive or coconut oil, garlic salt.

Isn't olive oil advised against due to its low smoking point?

So clearly I'm not eating enough. I guess I'll return to the drawing board and include some of your recipes. Got any suggestions for a burrito? I may be wrong, but I thought black beans have the most complete amino acid profile among beans.

zuppi86
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:21 pm

zuppi86 wrote:
Isn't olive oil advised against due to its low smoking point?

You are quite right. That's what the recipe called for. I used coconut oil myself.
I don't think the olive oil will smoke at that low a dose and being baked is different than cooking an egg in it.

You're going to have to eat a lot if you're trying to bulk up. Remember to watch the nuts - they have a lot of fat.
It's the good fat, but if you're trying to get lean/big it will be hard to if taking in a bunch of oil.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:24 pm

Big burritos are a great idea.

Quinoa is a pretty great source of amino acids, too, for vegans.

Are you sure you can't get ahold of some soy protein powder, that kinda thing?
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by zuppi86 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:39 pm

I feel a bit uneasy about using supplements. I'm trying to eat as clean as I can. If I can't grow it myself, I don't eat it, especially if it's produced in a chemistry lab. They're expensive and I don't even find them all that fulfilling. I'd rather eat a dozen burritos for that price. Speaking of burritos, how would you describe the ideal one? Any recipes of your own? Preferably something cheap and fast

zuppi86
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:42 am

If you limit yourself to only what you can grow, you are in for a lot more trouble than you know.
It's a big world out there. I say use it!
You can probably find some soy protein that's had minimal processing.
I also use my garbanzo beans (I have a small electric mill) in almond milk for protein. It tastes like crap (I guess, don't really know) but if you put some fruit in it, it's better.
You can make burritos out of whatever's on hand. Eggs, beans, plain yogurt, mushrooms, cheese, avacado, spinach, hot sauce. Wrap it up in a flour tortilla and eat! If you like sea weed (I love it), you can use it to wrap it up with instead of flour tortilla. You don't have to have all those ingredients, just go with what you have in any combo.
Yum, now I'm hungry and it's bed time!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:02 am

Mike Mahler really likes Hemp protein, you might give it a try. I have bought some Pea Protein (that sounds funny to me!) in the past. It didn't taste very good but it was very healthy.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by zuppi86 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:03 pm

itlives wrote:Jman's right. Vegan is strict. You are an ovo-lacto vegetarian if you have eggs, milk and cheese.
Vegans eats nothing that has a face or that came from something with a face.

I've had coconut ice cream before. It was delicious and had a good consistency.

Chick peas (garbanzo beans) have a better amino profile than eggs. I bought a BUNCH of them raw and organic. I soak them over night in water. Rinse and leave in colander. (working with two cups here)
Let cool and snack all day for a long time!

Garbanzo beans are inexpensive. You can buy them canned and won't have to soak them. I bought organic.

I have a few questions regarding this recipe.

If you use dry chickpeas (not canned), do you boil them after they're soaked, or do you immediately toss the chickpeas in the oven? How do you use coconut oil? The one I got is like a paste. Do you melt it in a casserole first and then throw it all over the chickpeas?

zuppi86
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:55 pm

Just soak the peas for at least 8 hours. You can change the water if you want. Soaking breaks down something (I think - licthins ?) in the peas (and beans) that enables your body to absorb the proteins and lesson the gastrointestinal distress (Gas).
Yes, you have to heat the coconut oil just enough to melt it. I mixed it in with the sauce and pepper salts b hand and tossed everything together. Then spread them out in one layer. Two layers (like I did) will get some crispy and others not. I would turn it once about halfway through.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by zuppi86 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:02 am

But do you boil them before roasting?

zuppi86
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:06 am

First sentence..
Just soak
In full disclosure, I soaked mine for about 16 hours. So no cooking was needed.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top