PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

fat loss help

View previous topic View next topic Go down

fat loss help

Post by Buckyx on Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:14 am

hello I have always problems with excess fat, when I started training I got much leaner but I believe I am still about 20% bodyfat
was trying to eat healthy and I was at 75kg/173 cm, then I stopped because injury now I started again and I am at 81kg already but bodyweight strength is going up so idk ... lack of activity is the problem maybe, school -> training and its already evening and rest of time nothing

I may start sprinting and some ground walking at evening but dont know what to eat and when, created account on myfitnesspal to track my macros .. it suggest me high carb diet what do you think
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Re: fat loss help

Post by Iliander on Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:16 am

you gotta lower your calories if you want to lose fat. or increase training intensity. or both.

don't pay attention to "high carb", "high fat", or "high protein" or all that crap, just eat good foods like meat, nuts, fruit, vegetables, milk, rice, etc.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:30 am

macros probably doesnt matter, but I should still watch my calories which i didnt

but most of calories I get are from carbs, I cant afford a lot of protein and healthy fats as student every day

Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:05 am

Buckyx wrote:macros probably doesnt matter, but I should still watch my calories which i didnt

but most of calories I get are from carbs, I cant afford a lot of protein and healthy fats as student every day
peanut butter!
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:34 pm

peanut butter is good idea, it can help me get more fat and protein

on average I get 1900cals, 250g carbs, 35g fat, 100g protein a day
on weekends I eat some bad foods tho

how can I calculate calories burn
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:22 pm

One thing to realize is that unless you are doing ridiculous amounts of cardio (which has its own problems with all of the cortisol build up that comes with it), you cannot out train a bad diet!

To lose body fat, you have to eat clean. Exactly what that means is a little different for everyone, but, in general, think of eating as a way to get the things your body needs. You need protein, lots of vitamins and minerals, and some calories from fat and carbs. Here is the deal, you can get all of the calories with other good stuff if you try. That means you should not eat anything that brings along nothing but calories.

You can eat almost all of the vegetables you want as long as you do not add lots of other stuff to them. Protein and carbs carry the same number of calories per gram, but protein is more filling so eat more of that. Finally, don't hide from healthy fats. You need them, and they help you feel full and satisfied longer than either protein or carbs.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:38 pm

I think I eat relatively healthy but I am limited as a student
I know a lot of people eating crap and they are lean they dont even train

somewhere I read only calories matter, somewhere only healthy food no matter how much lol
I know I was 5kg lighter looking more lean on worse diet and I was weak back then

sure its confusing thats why I asked for help
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:50 pm

Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:33 pm

Wholly cow, really! Good job! What are you at now?
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:13 am

I can't say what would work for you, but here's what works for me. High protein (lean meats, eggs, cheese, milk, protein shakes), moderately high good fats (fish oil, flax seed, olive oil, eggs, peanut butter, nuts), and only around 100 grams of carbs a day, and nearly all of the carbs in the post-workout meal. I also usually intermittent fast two days a week but I don't think that's really necessary for most.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:44 am

Cheesedog wrote:I can't say what would work for you, but here's what works for me.  High protein (lean meats, eggs, cheese, milk, protein shakes), moderately high good fats (fish oil, flax seed, olive oil, eggs, peanut butter, nuts), and only around 100 grams of carbs a day, and nearly all of the carbs in the post-workout meal.  I also usually intermittent fast two days a week but I don't think that's really necessary for most.
wtf 100 grams of carbs? why so low? i probably eat 800 grams of carbs.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Bissen on Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:48 am

Low carbs honestly aren't good for athletic performance. I know I felt like crap when I was low carb.

Depending on where I am (my own flat vs. my parents') I'm either 50:30:20 C:P:F, and when I'm at my parents' it's ad libitum.

Monitoring and TIMING is often helpful while losing fat - but honestly, a good, solid diet with plenty(!) of veggies should be the foundation.
Bissen
Masterful
Masterful

http://www.moarninjaplz.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:25 am

If I ate 800 grams of carbs a day I'd be one of those people you see on TV that are so obese they can't get out of bed. Some people can handle WAY more carbs than others.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Bissen on Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:02 am

Not telling people to gorge down 800g - far from.

At 142ish lbs, I go with 2-300 at the most, depending on activity.
Bissen
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:50 am

^ Yeah. Metabolism is a big part of that and it's not only an individual factor, it'll change with age. Personally I get lightheaded if I don't eat at least SOMETHING every couple of hours... preferably more often, and there has to be something starchy in there. While other people find low or no-carb diets more effective in terms of healthy body comp, energy levels, etc. I'd probably die if I tried hofmekler's warrior diet, for example, but I know a guy of similar age, leverages, and body composition to myself and he'll balloon up if he *doesn't* use a system like that.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:03 am

maybe its because I get only like 40grams of fat a day? and its from things like cottage cheese and yoghurt
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:12 pm

Eat clean and frequently with controlled portions and your motabolism should get better. Or try intermittent fasting.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:34 am

Bissen wrote:Not telling people to gorge down 800g - far from.

At 142ish lbs, I go with 2-300 at the most, depending on activity.

LOL, I was referring to Illiander! Guess I should've been a bit more clear.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Bissen on Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:31 am

Yeah, I figured - just wanted to clear that though I recommend carbs, I'm not for massive amounts :P
Bissen
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:42 pm

The amount of carbs you prescribe should be activity specific. Do you do a crapton of volume, all the time like Ili? Then eat more carbs.

Do you do a lot of low-rep work? Eat less carbs.

Didn't do much today? Eat less carbs.

Played basketball, worked out for 90 minutes, walked 3 miles around campus, coached, spotted kids for 3 hours? Eat more carbs.

Wake up looking like a fat tub of lard in the mirror the next morning after you ate a crapton of carbs last night? Eat less carbs.

Dunno why people make this more complicated than it needs to be. Make sure your approach is sustainable, eat lots of whole foods (foods that you like), splurge once in a while (I splurge once a week, sometimes twice a week), and enjoy the process. IF after all that, you're not getting the results you want, then maybe start dialing in your macros. Then, once you know what that looks like for YOU, don't worry so much about the counting and go by feel, unless counting is something you can't live without.

Idk. That's my current philosophy, which of course is open to change, and is probably irrelevant to the original question asked.

Also, I'm not sure why people recommend peanut butter as a 'good protein' source - it's only got 7-10grams per around 200 calories, and is a far better fat source than anything else. Also, it's an 'incomplete' protein, meaning it doesn't have all of the essential amino acids, meaning you're missing out on stuff you need.

I'm a student too, but that doesn't mean you can't spend some money on quality food. Look at your other spending habits. What crap can you NOT spend money on to devote more money to food next month or year or whatever? Tracking this stuff initially helps a lot. If food is important to you (it is to me), make the effort to put some money towards it and maybe take some money from something else. For me, I put most of my free money to food and learning, as those things are extremely important to me. But, I spend less money elsewhere (none at all actually) - like clothes for example.

Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:03 pm

yeah i know peanut butter is not a great protein source, as you said more a fat source.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:27 pm

I am quite sedentary guy.. whole day in school then training then chill :D.. training 5 times a week

its like 2250 cals burned a day, if I get 1900-2000 cals a day
100g of protein and 50g fat, rest from carbs would I lose muscle too or is this too low to lost weight

EDIT: .. recalculated my macros from current diet and Its like 2220+ cals every day with various foods, and I wonder why I am still at 80+- kg
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:04 am

so I am second day on caloric deficit, same protein, more fat, much less carbs
yesterday -450 cals
today I just had few less cals than regular breakfast and I felt like quite energized
but during training I fatigued very fast, just like i have never worked out

lol is that too much caloric deficit or what
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:54 am

i think you just gotta get used to it
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:29 pm

Agreed. Anyone who reduces carbs and relies more on protein and healthy fats usually seem to say that after the first week or two they have just as much energy as they did on a higher carb diet. Cheesedog related a similar experience from when he first switched to a lower carb diet.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:49 pm

thanks for reply, maybe that is the case I will see in 1-2 weeks
never been on low carb diet
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by hedwards on Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:10 am

I'm curious how this turned out.

If cutting down on the carbs hasn't helped, you might consider looking at your sleep and stress levels. Back when I used to be obese, that's where the fat problem was coming from. The increased cortisol levels were screwing with my ability to maintain a slim physique.

Also, some people that seemingly can't lose the weight do really well with intermittant fasting. I still don't get why, but short periods of fasting boost the metabolic rate. Plus, having periods where you're not eating makes it much easier to know how much your eating. Just make sure not to overdo it when you're coming off the fast.

hedwards
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:32 am

first i just reduced carbs, meal plan was really bad I lost 3kg in first week, then 1kg in next
then I tried IF and lost another 4 kg in 5 weeks, 80 -> 73

its exam time, a lot of stress, started eating crap and now I am at 75kg again
reduced calories and right macros help and meal frequency doesnt mean that much
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by CDL2042 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:39 pm

Ever heard of MyFitnessPal.com? After taking a brief quiz the program told me I could lose a pound/week by eating 2,300 calories a day. Apparently, I need 2,600 calories a day to break even.

Is this possible? I mean....I had a crap day food wise (my wife has been on vacation and I didn't feel like cooking again today) and I still didn't eat 2,300 calories. I ate a reasonable breakfast, taco bell for lunch, and chicken/pizza for supper, and I'm 600 calories under budget. Sounds fishy to me.
CDL2042
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by CDL2042 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:44 pm

I'm thinking about fourth meal right now!
CDL2042
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:09 am

No two people have the exact same metabolism. I can hardly gain to save my life.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:12 am

There's a good article on bb . Com. With all different calculators to get as close to your exact maintanance calories as possible. Really helped me. Work out my Lean mass, then my bmr by that, then using my activity level worked out maintanced calories then how much I need to lose or gain. Was helpful
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:14 am

right macros at right time help also
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by hedwards on Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:49 am

Buckyx wrote:right macros at right time help also

One of the details that people miss out on is that the relative change in blood glucose is directly related to the ability to say no to a helping of junk food that you don't really want. When your blood glucose is increasing or stable, your brain lets you have better access to the upper parts of the brain, including the pre-frontal cortex. Which means that you have more ability to control your impulses. When your blood glucose is dropping, there's a tendency for the brain to conserve fuel by limiting the glucose being given to the upper functions leading to more impulsivity and less control. So foods that are less likely to spike your glucose levels will tend to make it easier ot maintain whatever diet a person is using to maintain their weight.

Same goes for recent success. People who have success often times think that their success entitles them to a treat as a reward. The problem is that it will often times undermine their success as the treat for being good undoes the good they did. What's more, if you're giving yourself a reward for being good, it kind of implies that if you don't get the reward you were bad.

While only tangentially related to the topic, future readers may be interested in "The Willpower Instinct" by Kelly McGonigal, it's amazing how predictable the willpower failures tend to be for most people.

hedwards
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by CDL2042 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:44 am

So I switched jobs about 3 months ago. Everything is better EXCEPT I am sitting a LOT more. I have gained about 8 lbs in the last 3 months. I have been doing some reading here and elsewhere.

Apparently I am an endomorph? Big bones, thick build, and when I work out I gain weight instead of losing weight. Some places say to eat less fat and more carbs, some places say to eat more fat and less carbs. I am starting to think less carbs is the way to go. Can someone point me in the right direction for food and exercise? Seems like I am doing something wrong.

I am working out 2-3 times a week with kettlebells for about 25min and on the other days I do some bodyweight exercises or use dumbells.

I think I am alright for breakfast. Coffee, 2 eggs (with peppers) on 1 toast or tortilla. 6 days a week. McD's 1 day a week.

Lunch is probably not good. Most days either vending machine food or fast food. Leftovers on days when the kids actually leave me some. I am thinking about doing a protein shake and some fruit instead. Open to suggestions.

Couple of snacks per day. Occasionally a Coke. Trying to switch to tea.

Supper is whatever my wife has planned, we have a big family so I don't want to have a special diet. I guess I would like to be good all day and just eat whatever for supper (just watch portions). I know a big problem is when I come home from work and supper is going to be a while. I usually eat something when I get home...and then eat supper!

So I can see some problems just typing stuff out here, but if anyone has some experiences or advice that would be great.
CDL2042
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:18 am

Keep it simple, I'd say.
Cut down on the bagged food and soft drinks. Carb cycle. Make sure you're burning more calories than you're consuming. Move more.... I'm sure you know all that, just gotta put it into action.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:16 am

I sit all day too and gain fat/some muscle very easy :D maybe you need to do more in your training, HIIT at the end or do circuits or more strength oriented

and refine your diet, this way I keep getting stronger and dont gain weight and maybe lose fat at some point although I am not saying I am healthiest
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:55 pm

so I got to over 80kg and back to 75 again, I am gaining my strength/endurance back really quickly but I think I will eventually hit a plateau soon while in deficit... and also I am very hungry during day, might be cause lower carbs, high protein but I dont eat enough fat cause as a student its very hard to get a good quality dairy so all I eat is eggs and nuts, sometimes beef and rarely fatty fish or the canned ones

is it possible to kinda recomp and continue making progress? I would like to focus only on performance as I dont look as fat now but I am far from being lean

so should I eat more carbs and less protein for better results? I think low carbs work best with high fat cause body can convert protein to glucose so just eating less carbs wouldnt have such positive effect
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:52 pm

seems I miscalced nutrients of rice resulting in 300 less calories then I thought.. meaning my daily strict is around 1750 with veggies probably under BMR and overeating crap on weekends holds me at 75kg

so I guess my metabolism is fcked

macros: 112g carbs, 161g protein, 72g fat

what do you think about eating 3 or more servings of fruit a training day and 2 servings of rice/potatoes? seems like good carb sources is hardest to get for me
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:45 pm

How accurate is your calorie count? At 1750 per day, you should probably be losing weight.
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:41 am

it should be pretty accurate, but I eat junk food during weekends since Ive started .. probably that cravings from bigger deficit

I am ditching cheat weekends and try a recomp, higher cals on training days and lower on rest
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Fri May 08, 2015 2:59 am

little update.. last 2 weeks I was eating like 2,1-2,2k cals and cca 1,9-2 every third day as rest, did few walks and now I am at 74kg, thats 1g loss this week and 0,5-1 for previous

do you think I could ate so much calories during weekend cheats or just junk food was so bad that body stored fat

maybe my maint is still around 2,6k
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Mon May 11, 2015 1:02 pm

Buckyx wrote:little update.. last 2 weeks I was eating like 2,1-2,2k cals and cca 1,9-2 every third day as rest, did few walks and now I am at 74kg, thats 1g loss this week and 0,5-1 for previous

do you think I could ate so much calories during weekend cheats or just junk food was so bad that body stored fat

maybe my maint is still around 2,6k

Not sure I understand this. You're losing 1 kilo per week, isn't your goal to lose weight?
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:46 pm

totally forgot about this but well losing fat/weight was my goal but I plateaued for more then 1 month while eating around BMR or RMR on most days and then overeating junk food on weekends (protein the same each day) and it means I had to eat lots of calories which is not possible so hormones etc had to play some role ... when I use calcs then even with low activity my calories burn every day should be much higher than I was eating on regular

... I was trying low carb lately 30/50 and last week maybe 80-100g carbs a day and after few days I look lean but then I crash, I wake up hungry or I get hungry very fast especially after breakfast and around evening.. total calories are low too I suppose
then I crave really bad food which is not even tasty and mess up and when I eat a lot of that then most of the time it makes me full for so long and even eating just lean protein with veggies after few hours seems too much (high GI junk food make people hungry??)

anyone had similar problems? my initial strength and endurance gains coupled with quick fat loss were best on lower carbs when it stopped working I upped carbs(150-200) and had a great recovery that was shortly before injury

I wanted to ask mainly about slow and fast disgesting food for breakfast, dont understand why omelette even from 4 large whole eggs, some fruit and handful of nuts make me hungry fast and for example cottage cheese with 1 piece of fruit or canned fish with few nuts make me satisfied for long time, full fat curd with peanut butter worked best
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top