PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

The fat on nuts?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The fat on nuts?

Post by Guitar_maniac on Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:50 am

People say nuts are good, nut they seem to be big on fats. So, what's the deal? is it good fat? Is there such a thing as good fat?
Just bought one kg bag of them and use them snacks when playing (videogames or guitar :D).
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

http://www.facebook.com/esa.lackstrom

Back to top Go down

Re: The fat on nuts?

Post by Iliander on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:09 am

all fat is good except artificially produced trans fat.

nuts are great.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:53 am

Iliander wrote:all fat is good except artificially produced trans fat.

nuts are great.

:^:  x2

There's plenty of  research that is now finally being accepted by the mainstream, with respect to the saturated fat and the cholesterol myth.  

Peanut butter, brazil nuts, almonds  and shock horror "animal fats"...  :up:
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:50 am

For snacking, i either eat fruit or nut mix. I love them.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:45 am

Without fat your brain would shrivel up and you would die!
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:58 am

No brain dying then you'll be a zombie and that's not healthy
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:32 pm

:laugh1: 
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:06 am

Dave wrote:Without fat your brain would shrivel up and you would die!

And so would your testes!  :affraid: :shocked: 

Most people are still scared to death of saturated fat. No sat fat means no sex hormones. Unless you WANT to be a eunuch! :affraid: :shocked:  again!
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:25 am

Again?  :confused1: 
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:42 am

Dave wrote:Again?   :confused1: 

LOL! I meant that I used the same two emoticons again, it just seemed funny to me.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:59 am

Haha, okay I get it now. I was wondering for a bit there what kind of PMs you guys had been sending back and forth!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:25 pm

Nuts are high in fat. Fat is high in calories. A small amount of nuts = a lot of calories. If you're watching your cal intake, nuts are a bad idea. High fat intake is not a great idea in general, although it's the new fad in dieting (like high carbs in the '80s).

Sure, 20g of fat from nuts is not as bad for you as 20g of trans fats from potato chips or something. But 20g of fat from a handful of nuts = same amount of fat from two small bags of potato chips. It's really easy to eat 4-5 handfuls of nuts.
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:51 pm

Fatman wrote:Nuts are high in fat. Fat is high in calories. A small amount of nuts = a lot of calories. If you're watching your cal intake, nuts are a bad idea. High fat intake is not a great idea in general, although it's the new fad in dieting (like high carbs in the '80s).

Sure, 20g of fat from nuts is not as bad for you as 20g of trans fats from potato chips or something. But 20g of fat from a handful of nuts = same amount of fat from two small bags of potato chips. It's really easy to eat 4-5 handfuls of nuts.
why is high fat intake not a great idea in general?
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:03 pm

Iliander wrote:
Fatman wrote:Nuts are high in fat. Fat is high in calories. A small amount of nuts = a lot of calories. If you're watching your cal intake, nuts are a bad idea. High fat intake is not a great idea in general, although it's the new fad in dieting (like high carbs in the '80s).

why is high fat intake not a great idea in general?

High fat = high calories. As I wrote above, it's really easy to consume a ridiculous amount of fat in a small quantity of food. Not a problem for the underweight, but a surplus of calories causes obesity in the long run. Obesity has a high correlation with a host of medical issues.

Then there is the whole cardiovascular disease side of things, which is not as directly related to high saturated fat intake as it was once thought, but has never been refuted either.

Not to say that fat doesn't have good sides too, but most people (in the developed world) get way more than enough fat in their diet without trying to add extra.
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:11 pm

then just watch the calories, I switched to more fat and protein instead of carbs and feel much better while being in high caloric deficit
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:57 pm

Buckyx wrote:then just watch the calories,

I agree, my point was just that it takes a lot of determination to maintain a large caloric deficit if you're eating a lot of fat.
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Bissen on Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:11 pm

Nuts are semi-good. Omega 3 and 6 balance is off, so more than low to medium consumption isn't recommended.
Bissen
Masterful
Masterful

http://www.moarninjaplz.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Thu May 01, 2014 2:11 pm

Bissen wrote:Nuts are semi-good. Omega 3 and 6 balance is off, so more than low to medium consumption isn't recommended.

This is dependent on the type of nut you consume. Some nuts have better ratios than others.

Fat 'goodness or badness' is also dependent on the fat, and also upon the context of the rest of the diet. Within a proper context, there's nothing wrong with eating large amounts of saturated fat (low/ultra low carb/ketogenic diets). It also depends on the type of saturated fat and how it is metabolized. Is it long, medium, or short-chain? They are all metabolized differently. If you're eating a bunch of saturated fat AND a bunch of sugar/carbs, yes, you're probably gonna have problems.

Daily Calories also matters, even though many people say it doesn't. Calories matter, as does food quality - neither one is mutually exclusive. Don't believe the stupid hype that you can eat 4000-5000kcals a day, primarily from fat, and you'll lose weight and get a six pack (I'm looking at you, Dave Asprey). There is no 'metabolic advantage' for low-carb as opposed to higher carb diets, i.e., you don't burn more calories with a low-carb approach as compared to a high carb one. Most of the initial weight loss you see is from a spontaneous reduction in calories due to having less food choices because of the natural restrictive (somewhat) nature of lower carb diets.

Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Fri May 02, 2014 2:39 am

All true, and also on a ketogenic diet when you convert body fat to ketones it yields 7 calories per gram instead of 9, which does give you a nice advantage.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Thu May 15, 2014 3:15 pm

Expert (bodybuilder, lifter and nutrition consultant) chiming in on fats (toward the end of post, but the whole thing is a really good read):

http://www.lift-run-bang.com/2014/05/q-with-dr-israetel-of-renaissance.html

Last edited by Fatman on Fri May 16, 2014 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu May 15, 2014 4:38 pm

I just worked out and I'm hungry so I am going to eat.  That's as deep as I go lately. I think I'll make spaghetti and meat sauce!  :chef: 
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top