PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

new guy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

new guy

Post by kc5wqy on Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:34 pm

hi all, im Patrick 46 y/o live in southeast new mexico, I don't have a schedule or a routine as I cannot follow one, i do what i can when i can as often as i can, i have type 2 diabetes, i was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism weighed 195, body didn't respond to treatments so went thru radiation, now i have hypothyroidism and weigh 265, pick up a couple of goodies along the way i developed cardio arterial disease, tia's, kidney problems, chronic pain from spinal problems, got to meet a lot of drs nurses technicians, i do ride a recumbent tricycle to keep my circulation flowing, some days i ride a mile or 2 whether i feel like it or not, somedays 20 or 30 miles if im up to it sometimes more, im not allowed to use weights, but i do use suspension straps to do isometrics and bodyweight exercises, i do what i can according to how i feel that day, might need to mention i cannot stand walk or sit for very long, i have noticed improvements in my upperbody strength and endurance, and have recently added a pitiful excuse of a squat to supplement my peddeling, i know over time as i strengthen my hips my squatting form should improve, my biggest demon at this moment is uncontrollable hunger, im hungry all the time, even after i eat im hungry, i don't know how to control the beast

kc5wqy
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Re: new guy

Post by Cesar on Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:28 pm

Welcome Patrick.
it sounds lime the deck is stacked against you. At the same time you seem to have a positive outlook. Keep moving as much as you are able to.
What have your Drs recommended re: exercise.
in regards to diet. Try to eat as cleanly as you can. By that I mean, no processed food, anything in a can or jar forget about. Eat live foods. Water is all your body needscre: fluid intake. Obviously follow your doc. Recommendations with diet due to diabrttes.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:36 pm

Man that sucks! At least you're getting some training in, which is more than most folks. I've played around with isometrics. I'd be interested in seeing what you're doing, start a log and join the fun. Welcome to the forum.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:25 pm

Welcome Patrick! One of the the biggest factors towards success against overeating (or any bad habit, for that matter) is accountability. Find an accountability buddy and let him or her know that you intend to cut back on food and then if you slip up, admit it. Your friend will be there to support and encourage you along the way towards success, and depending on the friend's own experiences, might even offer different suggestions that could help. Take the suggestions offered and your failures will soon be long behind you.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kc5wqy on Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:18 am

im following dr orders as close as i can, my a1c is really good at 5.5 hoping to be released from the insulin soon, the dr recommended a stationary recumbent bike for exercise, but for a little more i bought a recumbent tricycle figured if i rode 10 miles out I'd have to ride 10 miles back to get home, on a stationary id say to hell with it and just get off whenever, i am maintaining weight, no loss or gains, im thinking to start losing i either have to worker harder and increase risk of injury or cut back on calories which leads to out of control hunger pains

kc5wqy
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:45 am

I think you're off to a good start. You could be an inspiring success story.
And welcome to the forum btw. ;)
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by kc5wqy on Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:53 am

Brahma Bill wrote:Man that sucks! At least you're getting some training in, which is more than most folks. I've played around with isometrics. I'd be interested in seeing what you're doing, start a log and join the fun. Welcome to the forum

with a simple goal of wanting to be able to do 1 single pull up, and nearly killing myself trying to do a single pull up lol i couldn't even hold my own weight, i researched what muscles are needed to do it, then watched trx videos on you tube and modified them to my ability, for example a push up couldn't do that either, so i used the straps and step back to my desired resistance level and did as many as i could and on the last one  i step back 1 or 2 more steps to add resistance go halfway down and hold as long as i could, after a month of that i can do 7 regular push ups now, and also i am now able to hold my weight on the pull up bar and pull myself up nearly halfway, but some the  stuff i do on the straps are suspended rows, bicep curls, tricep extensions, cant do a full body weight squat so i use the straps to hold me at a angle where i can do them, and i been playing around with the suspended hamstring curls, that's pretty darn rough right now, but i can only get stronger right? adding more as i build strength and flexability, i asked about the straps and was told they was a gimmick a waste of time and money, but for someone like me i think its the perfect tool

kc5wqy
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kc5wqy on Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:01 am

oh btw the reason behind wanting to be able to do a single pull up is 1 leads to 2 leads to 3 and so on

kc5wqy
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kc5wqy on Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:07 am

thanks for the warm welcomes,

kc5wqy
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:13 am

You could do vertical pulls as a starting point for pull ups I guess (and push as well)
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by kc5wqy on Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:21 am

looks almost like a suspended row, just a different angle, if i was to close or increase the gap between my anchor points would that increase or decrease the use of the muscle group involved? did i say that right? hopefully you'll understand what im saying

kc5wqy
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:10 am

I'd say, the more you have to work against gravity, the more work your body has to do. A progression would be the Aussi pull up for example.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by kc5wqy on Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:17 am

i think that aussi pull up may be useful, i think i may have to get my sons over to the house and build me i mean my grandson a jungle gym just like that in the backyard

kc5wqy
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:13 am

Maybe you want to have a look at that.
Here is the vid. I do exercises from there as a daily mobility basis.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:16 am

kc5wqy wrote:i think that aussi pull up may be useful, i think i may have to get my sons over to the house and build me i mean my grandson a jungle gym just like that in the backyard
You can do the Aussie Pullups/Horizontal rows on your suspension trainer in the mean time.
For the record I still can't do a pull up (yet) either. Some of the Isometrics I do are to work my pull up sticking points.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:07 am

welcome Patrick,

as Bill said you can do rows on your suspension trainer. it will help you get strong enough for pull-ups.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:34 am

Hey Patrick,
you might want to check out this site for different homemade structures like freestanding pull up bars.

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenandoah/Grunt/Bodyweight.html

as well as equipment you can build for isometrics and the like
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:26 pm

Welcome mate! Good luck with everything!

Start a log and keep track of your progress, we will always be here to keep you motivated and watch your fantastic progress no doubt!
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by kc5wqy on Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:35 pm

Brahma Bill wrote:
You can do the Aussie Pullups/Horizontal rows on your suspension trainer in the mean time.
For the record I still can't do a pull up (yet) either. Some of the Isometrics I do are to work my pull up sticking points.

a lot of what im doing is just hanging from the bar, tensing and relaxing, but need to find me a new place to set up, I carry my straps with me on my trike when I ride, and i'll set up at a shelter in the park ,the bar I use is like 1/2 inch rebar, longer I hang the more it tears up my hands, that's why I was interested in that jungle gym thing something for me and the grandkids to play on, back to pull ups, im able to hold my body weight for quite a few seconds now, where before I couldn't at all, and I can pull myself almost half way up
but I figure I need to drop the pounds and build up my core a lot before I can power on up, but I noticed when I get halfway up and try to hold I can feel all my abs kicking in and getting real tight, if I do that to many times it kills my shoulders and upper back and the recovery time is to long,

kc5wqy
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:16 pm

I hear you, 20 more pounds off my big a** and I'll have the pull up for sure.  :D 
Do you do any Planks? That will get your core working.

Here's a link for a home built isometric training tool  you might find interesting
http://rosstraining.com/blog/2009/02/23/homemade-isometric-tool/
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by kc5wqy on Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:43 pm

Brahma Bill wrote:I hear you, 20 more pounds off my big a** and I'll have the pull up for sure.  :D 
Do you do any Planks? That will get your core working.

Here's a link for a home built isometric training tool  you might find interesting
http://rosstraining.com/blog/2009/02/23/homemade-isometric-tool/

actually today I added a standing plank/half squat combo to my workout, its not on the illustrated chart for my straps so maybe I just invented a new move huh? lol, but when im in plank position I can feel it running down the back of my arms thru my chest and back and down my abs so I guess its working? ill hold that position for several seconds and work my way down into a squat and hold then work my way back up into a plank then hold and repeat, could only do 5 sets of 4 reps, but I felt every darn bit of it, thanks to everyone this is the first forum I have found that was this helpful, and im saving all the links you guys are sending

kc5wqy
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum