PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Spill over strength

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Spill over strength

Post by hedwards on Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:45 am

I was reading an article the other day and it got me to thinking about the spill over effect that many, perhaps most, of the body weight exercises have. Probably the most dramatic would be bridges that hit pretty much every muscle in the body to an extent. I've noticed that since I started doing dynamic full bridges that basically all the other exercises that I'm doing have become substantially more easily, almost over night.

Some of this is intuitive to me, pushing up with your arms and your legs should have some impact on squats and push ups. Some of it is less intuitive, I'm 25# heavier than the last time I was doing pull ups and I'm just about back to where I was with those. And I'm having a lot less difficulty walking up and down stairs than I had been.

So, I'm kind of curious about the pull ups. Is that observation just on account of my strengthening the arms, or is there something else at work? And what other areas should I be looking for benefits in from this sort whole body exercise?

BTW: For people that are curious, this was the article I was reading. http://www.dragondoor.com/dragon_door_interviews_paul_coach_wade/

hedwards
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Re: Spill over strength

Post by Journeyman on Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:22 am

First off, I'm fairly certain that 'Paul Wade' is a made up person.

Secondly, 'spillover' will depend on what your body needs. For example, if you've never done bridges before and lack strength in spinal extension and active shoulder flexibility, introducing bridges will make a big difference just about everywhere. If all you've done is bodyweight exercises and you begin doing heavy deadlifts and squats, you'll also have an enormous adaptation that will probably help a lot of other things.

It is not as simple as 'this helps this' or 'this carries over to this'. It's all individual. That said, there are some problems that a lot of people have. Another example--most people working desk jobs have thoracic kyphosis, inactive glutes, and tight hip flexors. Doing a lot of hardstyle swings will do a lot to fix all of those issues, and so are a highly effective drill for many people.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:25 pm

Paul wade = 100% made up, I read something like he went into hiding once all his stuff got popular?

Bodyweight exercises build a good foundation in general so when you venture onto other things your not starting from scratch and already have one foot forward which makes weights and sports a bit easier to start off.

Bridges provide all round flexibility, flexibility helps out a lot with exercising in general. But yeah as J man said, probly notice the biggest carryover for yourself if you introduce something that benefits your weaknesses.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by hedwards on Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:13 pm

I'll have to pay attention as I progress further. It seems reasonable to me that any spill over that comes from exercising in this fashion will naturally hit a point of diminishing returns.

AFAIK, Paul Wade was in hiding since before his stuff was published. I have no idea whether or not he's a real person as I've never met him, but I think that the ad hominems that people have come up with are not really useful. The work should be assessed on its merits. To what extent it does or doesn't work is where the focus really ought to be rather than on whether or not one cares for the way in which it's marketed.

But for what it's worth, I think that if he's not a real person and he didn't really spend that much time in prison, that they would have owned up to it by now. A significant amount of the criticism comes from him not being a real person that was really in prison, and I doubt that most of the fans really care that much about whether or not he's a real ex-con.

hedwards
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:51 pm

hedwards wrote:The work should be assessed on its merits. To what extent it does or doesn't work is where the focus really ought to be

I agree completely. And convict conditioning really is not a great product. The progressions are unrealistic and the programming is not well thought out. The 'reality' of Paul Wade is a different issue.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:45 pm

Yeah true, convict conditioning is a good idea in my opinion, just not delivered as well as it could of been. Best thing from the CC's for me was the trifecta.

As for pull-ups btw, I was thinking - maybe doing lots of HLR and progressing in that field would aid in pull-ups. Builds the core, adds grip strength and stretches the spine out a bit. These areas could (depending on the person ofcourse) help stability during pull-ups and enable you to do more!

The beginning gains are always the most profitable. But if you cycled through a range of exercises and progressions you may always have a return out if them. Maybe not big, but maybe just enough.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top