PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

lower back pain

View previous topic View next topic Go down

lower back pain

Post by Buckyx on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:51 am

how to prevent lower back pain, had 2 days rest
and after short warm up I deloaded barbell and my lowerback started hurting, happened few times to me already and was feeling ok today

Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Re: lower back pain

Post by Journeyman on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:00 pm

Gonna need more info than that, dude.

Where exactly (muscle, spine, which side of your back?), how (doing what), what kind of pain (what does it feel like), what seems to bother it... etc.

Your body's a tad more complicated than 'my low back hurts, give me the cheat code to fix it  :mrgreen: 

In any event, application of heat, some self-massage, and gentle passive stretching can rarely go wrong to help things along and might help you tell us more about what exactly is going on there.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:24 pm

Yeah haha lower back consists of quite a few areas mate :p best thing to do is Defintatly rest until you know what is causing the issue and then get back to us and see if we can help or seek prof help.

Lower backs can fluff up a lot of things quickly if ignored! Don't push through it!
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:05 am

I sit a lot, probably bad posture .. felt it little today morning but after workout it went away probably well stretched L-Sit chins and BB cleans
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:57 am

Maybe just DOMS then
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:35 am

no it cant be DOMs from sitting, it has to be bad posture maybe i pulled some muscles there
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:37 am

That's what I mean, you may have tweaked it or have DOMS then your bad posture is setting it off. Just remember to sit up straight :p just like they tell you at school haha
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by hedwards on Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:08 pm

I'm surprised nobody has recommended seeing a doctor. The back is a very complicated set of muscles, bones and connective tissues and a neck problem can show up as far away as the lower back.

When I was having back trouble, my physical therapist recommended Robin McKenzie's books, If nothing else they're quite informative of what's going on. But, if you're sitting around too much, you're likely going to need to stretch out the lower back as well as strengthen it.

That's why I'd recommend seeing a doctor if possible as you don't want to injure yourself further if it's not just a matter of tightness and weakness. A doctor would also be likely to know if there's something else going on. For lower back pain it can also be a hip problem, a knee problem or really anything else in the lower body.

hedwards
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:39 pm

I did. I said prof help
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by hedwards on Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:52 pm

Rix wrote:I did. I said prof help

So, you did, not sure why I missed that.

hedwards
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:05 am

it was gone fast, I work on my lower back mainly through bent-over rows now
not doing as much core as I dont have place to do strength moves i used to
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:51 am

Some bridges and headstand leg raises might be a good idea. Working towards loading greater flexion and extension will help build back strength and exert it in practical ways (if you can do it comfortably to begin with).

Bent rows aren't great for building back (erector) strength unless you're using some major body english, which you shouldn't be doing now.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:16 am

I am doing them for 10 reps a set, slowly building up weight .. not heavy but still feel lower back working and its part of my pulling too

headstand leg raises is good idea and I forgot about bridges too, thanks for reply I will add this to my routine
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar_maniac on Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:25 am

I don't think this will help, but i'll say it anyway :D

I have started using a pillow between my knees since i tend to sleep a lot on my side, this seems to help with my lower back, usually had it hurting in the morning/whole day but not anymore. It twists your hips a bit when sleeping and the leg that's on top just kinda "hangs" there.
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

http://www.facebook.com/esa.lackstrom

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:33 pm

I have to try I tend to sleep on one side more too even if I try to lay just on back neutral

had problem with low back again this month 2 times, my lower body especially hamstrings, glutes and lower back are very weak, hip mobility is very poor
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:02 pm

Guitar_maniac wrote:I don't think this will help, but i'll say it anyway :D

I have started using a pillow between my knees since i tend to sleep a lot on my side, this seems to help with my lower back, usually had it hurting in the morning/whole day but not anymore. It twists your hips a bit when sleeping and the leg that's on top just kinda "hangs" there.

I was given the same advice by a chiropractor years ago and it works wonders. Or when sleeping on your back, put the pillow under your knees/hamstrings.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:57 pm

Dave wrote:
Guitar_maniac wrote:I don't think this will help, but i'll say it anyway :D

I was given the same advice by a chiropractor years ago and it works wonders.  Or when sleeping on your back, put the pillow under your knees/hamstrings.
X3 I've been doing this since I first wrecked my back 15 years ago
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:26 pm

Helps me too, to some degree.

However, I put a lot of stock in Dan John's 'pillow test'--that is, if you need more than one pillow at night to get comfortable, you have mobility issues that should be corrected before doing anything else.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:29 pm

Posturepedic mattress, best bed ever.  :up: 
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:33 pm

Have you tried foam rolling your piriformis muscles (both sides)? Fixed all of my lower back problems.
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:25 pm

nope, today I did planks and shoulder bridges .. should I focus on abs and hamstrings?

found this 2 pics from 10-11 months ago, seems like my back was arching back then too, although i was pulling legs a bit behind but I was painfree long time

pic1
pic2
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:32 pm

Rix--I have a mattress pad too but I'll be the first to admit that it avoids the problem (by accommodating my excessive lumbar lordosis), but doesn't fix it.

Bucky--yeah, major lack of overhead mobility, and APT dude.

Focus on:
-Tspine extension
-shoulder flexion and extension
(for the shoulders)
-abdominal recruitment with posterior pelvic tilt
-extend hip flexor range of motion
-glute activation
(for the low back)

Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:44 pm

yeah, overhead mobility is now a bit better, I do OHPs and passive hangs a lot but for sure needs more work

how often should I work on those? just choose exercises as in normal training and do 2-3 times a week I think
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:47 pm

Journeyman wrote:Rix--I have a mattress pad too but I'll be the first to admit that it avoids the problem (by accommodating my excessive lumbar lordosis), but doesn't fix it.

Bucky--yeah, major lack of overhead mobility, and APT dude.

Focus on:
-Tspine extension
-shoulder flexion and extension
(for the shoulders)
-abdominal recruitment with posterior pelvic tilt
-extend hip flexor range of motion
-glute activation
(for the low back)

J-man - Yeah definitely. Fortunately I don't have any major back issues (and wish to carry on that way) but when I have had those few kinks and doms, Posturepedic bed has been sweet as.

Nail on the head by the way! I notice 3 out of 5 of those issues. Points to me for trying!

Bucky - when you OH press make sure you don't have an arch in your back either. That's an injury waiting to happen. Glutes tight, abs strong.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:53 pm

I had core tight during OHP never felt low back during that, even when I lifted the bar from ground .. pain lays in anterior pelvic tilt and arch

only time I felt pain or weakness was at bottom of ATG squat and sometimes while doing floor exercises like crunches a little, now I feel arch and bit pain during regular hanging tho
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top