PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Unable to progress, overinformation, lost

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Unable to progress, overinformation, lost

Post by Buckyx on Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:32 am

I studied so much I got lost in what to do and what to avoid, progress is not welcomed by my body .. need some tips like I never trained and was complete beginner
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Re: Unable to progress, overinformation, lost

Post by Iliander on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:25 am

- cold showers?
- enough vitamins/minerals?
- chemtrails in Slovakia?? they spray here
- go to sleep early at 22:00 ?
- more food?
- more water?

maybe split days in pull/push/lower/pull/push/lower/???

change the routine if progress stops
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:12 am

chemtrails not so frequent idk
eating more nuts, veggies and fruit lately, cold shower is missing tho

need to drink more water for sure, didnt think it has so much impact I dont drink so much water lately as I used to

pull/push/lower split seems interesting, I was always afraid of low frequency tho that every third day wont be enough, but I can go super volume/intensity then

thanks for tips, also how many sets per exercise do you think is enough? dips, pull ups, push ups, OHP/wall HeSPU ... maybe I was doing too many sets but I dont really know, I am stuck at around 30 dips forever
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:15 am

Ili, chemtrails are everywhere as far as I am aware.  Here is a video I made a few years ago that might help though:

Bucky, I sometimes feel the need to simplify my training, and whenever I do I make good progress again.  One example is when I did pushups for 10 minutes each morning and pullups 10 minutes each night, just focusing on beating my volume from the day before.

I'm sure Ili will have more good advice, as he is now much more bodyweight oriented than I am.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:48 am

I dont know how shoud I structure a routine, eg pushing want to get better at dips, push ups and handstand push ups .. prioritize only one each training or try to get better at everything everytime
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:18 pm

How about changing this...GOALS: do some training after work lol

Right frame of mind, what Dave and Ili have said. simplify, maybe you are stretching yourself things. Pick something and stick to it.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:16 pm

I just think I progress too slow, more like stagnate and once in a while my strength skyrocket like few weeks ago 37kg OHP for few reps to instantly 42/47kg for 5x5+ and wall hespu, now my shoulders feel very weak again had problems in simple handstand
was just curious what do you think of my routines, its true I change a lot and its probably bad thing but when I dont change at all its slow too, working capacity/volume increased but maxout reps stayed the same its strange

I am getting weighted vest soon and will build same reps like 10 pull ups/set and 15-20 dips/set with weight on so it should increase my unweighted basics to higher numbers too what you think
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:05 pm

Sounds like a nutrition issue too be honest. If your training and getting worse or not progressing then your not getting enough nutrition to recover and prosper.

In my opinion you should look into some supplements. Especially some joint care if your getting a weight vest, a protein shake with carbs to hit macros and look deeply into the foods you eat and eat better with frequent meals. Try and buy some super foods and vitamins atleast.

For splits a good shout is either full body, upper lower or push pull lower. And on each of the days focus on one movement especially. So upper day - dips, Lower day - pistol, upper day - HeSPU, lower day bridges.

Edit : more to add. Ideal training frequency rule of thumb is every 3 to 5 days. If you do push pull lower then maybe do 2-4 exercises per body part. If you try upper lower then 2 exercise per body part is good. And if you do full body then 1 per body part.

Plus max out reps is endurance. I could bench 20 extra KG a month but still do 40 push-ups still. Probly not that was extreme but you get what I'm saying? If you train for size and/or strength your endurance max reps will not go up significantly. And if you train for more reps so a rep range over 15 then you will get more max out reps but will not become much stronger.

Well all my opinion and as far as I know and have learnt.

Last edited by Rix on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:18 pm

I know its endurance but my equipment is very limited so for strength I can do only hespu, OHP and front squats until I finally build proper bars

to be honest my nutrition is much better then its used to be when I started but my progress is similar and stagnating, but its not 100% clean need to play with that still

my zinc and magnesium intake is very low, but the right foods for that are costly, probably this is the cause
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:21 pm

Don't limit yourself to "equipment" - anything heavy and ODD can be used to increase strength.
I found a piece of a tree that had just been cut. I am guessing it is about 80-100lbs. Not sure. I often when playing with my kids in the backyard use it as a plyobox, shouldering and squat with it. Do loaded carries, whatever. Think outside the box
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:22 pm

Magnesium supplements are good at keeping testosterone levels at a good amount. Won't increase them. Just make sure ours are all good.

You don't have to eat super clean to be honest. Just hit macros without processes sugars and stuff

Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:50 pm

Great vid Dave, I will make it when i can.

@ Buckyx: every third day can be enough if you use enough volume/intensity.

as for the sets per exercise it depends... at least 4 per exercise as the minimum. adding sets over time.

zinc and magnesium matters a lot
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:52 pm

Thanks Ili. :)

Rix wrote:In my opinion you should look into some supplements. Especially some joint care if your getting a weight vest, a protein shake with carbs to hit macros and look deeply into the foods you eat and eat better with frequent meals. Try and buy some super foods and vitamins atleast.

Glutamine before and after training (or during a hard day at work, as soon as it starts to get hard)
Multivitamin with breakfast
Creatine before and/or after training (double your water intake if you decide to take this)
Beta alanine
BCAAs

All good places to start, and things that do boost or have boosted my performance and/or gains.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:17 am

BCAAs are great for training fasted. I'm always a fan of creatine! I wanna try this creapure stuff I heard so much about.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:55 pm

Buckyx wrote:I just think I progress too slow, more like stagnate and once in a while my strength skyrocket

That's... pretty much how it works. Quick, consistent gains are rare past the newbie stage.
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:20 pm

Fatman wrote:
Buckyx wrote:I just think I progress too slow, more like stagnate and once in a while my strength skyrocket

That's... pretty much how it works. Quick, consistent gains are rare past the newbie stage.

What've you been up to fatman?
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:25 am

yeah but how could i progress much faster when i started on crap diet and little alcohol drinking than now, then i had little injury and after 10 months I cant get where I was before
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:33 am

You have been given all the answers you need in this thread. Eat better, train smarter and work harder. Results don't happen over night. I've been hitting specific macros for 2 weeks with intense training. And both aesthetic/strength results are minimal at the moment. I don't expect to see change for another good few weeks/months even.

If this sh!t was easy, then everyone would be Mr Olympia/Olympic gold medalist/fitness King.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:31 am

Buckyx wrote:yeah but how could i progress much faster when i started on crap diet and little alcohol drinking than now, then i had little injury and after 10 months I cant get where I was before

And I progressed faster in my first year of working out--sleeping less than 6 hours a night, getting maybe 50g of protein a day, not having good technique dialed in yet, and running track at the same time; than I ever have since then. Despite better recovery, better form, much smarter programming, and arguably working harder, too.

It's called beginner's gains. Get used to not moving forward... most of the time you won't be. Your body likes homeostasis. It isn't a machine... most of the time you won't progress, then you'll have spurts of improvement (that are especially helped if you are doing everything 'right' at that point in time). You aren't a machine that will add another rep every day or 5lb a month steadily and indefinitely.

Focus on not getting injured and maintaining what you have. Hard work and patience are the keys here.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:11 am

^^^^^^^^
10000% true
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:53 am

Jman speaks the truth.  
All the stars and planets need to be aligned in order to progress to occur.  It sounds like you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself, overthinking things and leading to more stress which is not conducive to progress.  

Dan John says;

"Park Bench Training Programs: For most of your training year, a training program that has little expectations. You get the work done and gently nudge yourself along in several areas. Counter to what you would think, most people make their best progress here.

Bus Bench Programs: Usually, almost by definition actually, these have a time limit, usually two weeks, six weeks or as many as 16 weeks. At the end of it, there has to be a marked change in what we are focused on. This can also be a peaking program for an athlete. Let me say this: if you don’t actually perform at your best on a peaking program, I argue it didn’t work. Sorry, I am a jerk."

and he also says...

"Appendix A: Park Bench and Bus Bench Workouts.

My old boss, Archbishop George Niederauer, has a wonderful way with words. He is the most well read person I know and he has this interesting way of simplifying the most complex things into bite size pieces for the rest of us. He speaks often about two kinds of prayers, the kind where you ask for something and the kind where one simply talks with God. A few years ago, he wrote an article about this concept and gave us a simple image to understand it.

In the “Tale of Two Benches,” Archbishop Niederauer describes sitting on a bus bench. When one waits for a bus, one is filled with expectations. The “G” bus should be here at 8:11. If I look up at 8:11 and don’t see it, I begin to panic. At 8:13, my day is ruined. We want to get off this bench and get going somewhere else! The bus should be here now. Wait…now!

The park bench, however, is a time to sit and listen and watch. We wait for nothing. The local squirrels that showed up yesterday may or may not be here today. And, that is okay. We don’t call the city squirrel police if they don’t show up when we want them to show up.

Both of the benches in our examples might look and feel the exact same way. You might find the same wood, the same metal and the exact same back rests in both of our benches, yet our expectations will be radically different. Niederauer uses this image of the Bus Bench to describe those times we ask (demand) things from God and the Park Bench describes those times we are simply communing with those things greater than us in the universe.

The approach most athletes take to competition is the “Bus Bench” image. “On Saturday, the 26th, I will defeat all who show up, break all my personal records, find perfection in all I do, and meet the person of my dreams.” This, my friends, is the “G” bus of sports preparation and life. It is a tough model to follow. As I look over my 45 years in organized competition, I can only think of a few times when the G Bus showed up on schedule.

For most athletes most of the time, and for most of us for most of our lives, the Park Bench model is much more appropriate. When you compete, or simply train, take time to enjoy the view, breath the air, and don’t worry about the squirrels! Whatever comes along during your competition or training should be viewed through the lens of wonder and thanks. My great joy in competing in Highland Games has a lot to do with the friendships made, the variety of events, and the party atmosphere. Highland Games athletes simply don’t make fools of themselves complaining about a bad performance. The events make a fool of you!

To get a “Park Bench” mentality, the athlete has to realize that, at best, very few competitions are going to be perfect. In addition, when the stars arrange for you to have those perfect competitions, you had better not try to mess it up with a lot of extra energy, you just have to let it go. The Park Bench also helps you with the 20% of competitions where things go all wrong. If you can keep your wits, feed a squirrel or two, you may just salvage this competition! By the way, nothing frightens your competition more than a serene smile on your face; they will think you are up to something!

I fully believe that life is a competition. There is just enough Darwin in me, as well as a master’s degree in history, to believe that our life is tenuous at best and your survival, without any hint of irony, reflects on your fitness. Without worrying about hyperbole, I feel this is the “why” of lifetime fitness. Your survival might depend on your fitness, so why are you slamming your head against a wall to get it?

Train hard, but enjoy competition. Compete hard, but enjoy your training. One key final point must be kept in mind at all times: NEVER judge a workout or competition as “good” or “bad” solely on that single day. I often tell my new throwers: “Sorry, you just are not good enough to be disappointed.” Judging one’s worth as an athlete over the results of single day is just idiocy…and will lead to long-term failure. Epictetus, the Roman Stoic philosopher tells us: “We must ever bear in mind –that apart from the will there is nothing good or bad, and that we must not try to anticipate or to direct events, but merely to accept them with intelligence.”

If that is too complex, I have a favorite story:

A farmer had a horse and a son. One day, the horse died. All the neighbors said, “Oh, how bad.” The farmer said, “We’ll see.” The next day, the neighbors got together and bought the farmer a new horse. They all said, “That’s a good thing.” Farmer said, “We’ll see.” The following day, the horse threw the son while trying to break the horse. The son broke his arm. The neighbors all said, “Oh, how bad.” The farmer said, “We’ll see.” The next day, the army came into the town, drafted all the young men, save the son with a broken arm. They all died in the first battle. The neighbors said to the farmer, “Oh, how good it was for your son to have a broken arm.” The farmer said, “We’ll see.”

So, what does this all mean? First, let things happen and don’t judge them as good or bad. Enjoy the opportunity to train and eat well. Second, find yourself a community of people who support your goal and be sure you “support your goals,” too. Do my ideas work in sports and life? We’ll see.

So, what would be an example of a Bus Bench workout? To be honest, it is the kind of thing most people want. Call it a program, a cookie cutter approach, or a training manual, but it is that long page after page after page of “do this” and “do that” that most people want to have in their hands."

this made a lot of sense to me when I read a couple of days.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:43 pm

I am trying to say I had beginner gains, then I had injury and havent done regular training like 7 months, then I got back and cant make that gains again
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:16 pm

Coz your not a beginner anymore. Beginner gains window is only open for a short amount of time. Maybe a year max? Beginner gains last 6 months, that's super generalised. I'm just over generalising so you get the idea.

Now it's make or break either carry on and get realistic and except things or quit.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:36 pm

thought muscle memory or something that its easier getting back than starting from scratch but nvm

I noticed something, fasted training early increased my OHP fast so its probably good for strength development and when I get bored in evening I often do maxout set of push ups or pull ups and get to nearly PR reps even with training before

so its probably better for me to change training time to later in the day i think, around noon my energy is depleted very fast
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:01 pm

Buckyx wrote:thought muscle memory or something that its easier getting back than starting from scratch but nvm

This is true IF (big if) you have a solid ass base in place. If you gained really quickly and kinda peaked out before taking time off, it will take a while to get back. If, on the other hand, you'd been training regularly for years and then took some time off, you'd probably get back to that 'baseline' that you'd established really well, fairly quickly. I've been meaning to write a blog article on this but haven't yet.

The other thing is that you can't really rely on anything that 'worked' during your 'beginner's gains' period of time as a reliable method of progression--because again, when you're starting out literally anything will work.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:58 pm

didnt relied, just dont know what I did wrong them
nevermind, getting weighted vest so no more endurance work only
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:27 pm

"Everything works... until it doesn't." - Fatman.

The other option is to use steroids, and get so addicted to fast gains that you are hooked on them forever - or when you can no longer afford the 'roids your ego will take a nose dive and you'll never be the same and you will have a perpetual inferiority complex and feeling of regret. Not really recommending that option though. :no:

Cesar wrote:Dan John says;

"Park Bench Training Programs: For most of your training year, a training program that has little expectations. You get the work done and gently nudge yourself along in several areas. Counter to what you would think, most people make their best progress here.

Bus Bench Programs: Usually, almost by definition actually, these have a time limit, usually two weeks, six weeks or as many as 16 weeks. At the end of it, there has to be a marked change in what we are focused on."

I guess I'm a park bench guy.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:33 am

My best advice is to quit trying to get somewhere you once were. Never mind what happened before and that you think you should be able to do it again. What you need to focus on is what you can do now and try to do a little bit more every once in a while. You probably won't make gains every day, but if you try to do a just little more than before every few days to a week, then you will progress.

Training is a lot like reading a long novel. You only read one word at a time. It takes a little bit to read a whole page. If the novel is long, then a single page does not seem like much. If you just keep reading the story though, then pretty soon you will have read a lot of pages. The trouble is that if you only pay attention to the number of pages you have read, then it seems to take forever, you feel like you are getting nowhere, and you miss out on the story. You need to have goals, and you need to keep working towards them, but it takes time. So, keep doing things that will help you reach your goals. Keep trying to do a little more every so often, and enjoy the ride.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:46 am

ccheatum wrote:
Training is a lot like reading a long novel.... Keep trying to do a little more every so often, and enjoy the ride.

I'll be using this from now on....  :salute: 
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:31 am

Guess I'm a little late to the party but I figured I could chime in.

Let's rewind back to May of 2012 for a second. I'm at the peak of my conditioning and I'm at the best shape I've ever been in to run anything from 100m to 5000m. This was at the end of 10 years of cumulative training going from middle school to college.

I ran for a few months after college, just mileage with workouts thrown in here and there, but nothing close to the training I had been doing previously. Sometime around October I stopped running completely. I tried starting training again around March or April of 2013, but I got injured a month or so into training trying to come back too fast. Took another month off before starting with very minimal training for a month.

From the end of July till mid November I had a pretty good stint of training and considering that I was only doing 1 speed workout a week compared to the 2-4 I had been doing during college I was pretty happy. Consider it to be about 80-90% of the fitness I had at the end of college.

That winter I switched gears into track mode and had I not weighed 10-12# more than what I raced at in college I would have been about 95-95% of where I was for races up to a mile, maybe the 2 mile but I didn't have a chance to try that. In reality, I was still in that 80-90% range.

Now, I'm 15 weeks into my current cycle. I can truly say this time around that some aspects of my fitness are far better than they ever were while I was training in college. Others are lagging, but that's because they aren't my focus at this point in the year. By the time those part become the focus of a cycle I'll be in a much better position to build them beyond where I've previously been.

Moral of the story is that even with the 10 years of base it's taken me a year to get to this point after taking about 8 months off. I'm still another 3-6 months away of where I see myself potentially passing my old fitness level completely. I know running is a different beast from lifting, but I hope you understand the point I'm making.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:51 am

well maybe my body is not build for endurance, untrained people can do 50+ push ups, I can do only 40 and only cca 30 dips, my pull ups number go up slowly

I can do basics weighted now so that my main focus and I enjoy it far more than high rep sets, I do only some conditioning at the end
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:04 am

And plateaus are when real growth happens

Buckyx wrote:untrained people can do 50+ push ups

I doubt that.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:07 am

:facepalm: show me an untrained human that can do 50+ And I'll shake their hand and beg them to tell me their secrets.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:10 am

dont know I see skinny guys posting they do 60-100 push ups lol, but for me thats useless endurance .. too much energy to waste just to push few more numbers at maxout

I will maxout again once I hit solid reps weighted and see where it took me
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:31 am

Buckyx wrote:dont know I see skinny guys posting they do 60-100 push ups lol

Probs trollz. forget maxing out ever, unless its for fun. for pushups, try a weighted progression to a one arm pushup and solid TUT reps for dips. << Thats real stuff there, not a million pushups.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Iliander on Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:45 am

@Rix "forget maxing out ever, unless its for fun"

what?! there is nothing wrong with maxing out...
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:48 am

I think its just pointless. do it every now and then for fun but if your not training endurance to increase those numbers then whats the point? Plus alot of stress on joints and if done incorrectly then risk of injury.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:59 am

Buckyx wrote:untrained people can do 50+ push ups

Ha!  Per week!

Rix wrote:I think its just pointless. do it every now and then for fun but if your not training endurance to increase those numbers then whats the point? Plus alot of stress on joints and if done incorrectly then risk of injury.

I wouldn't say that.  Pushups to failure are a good tool for pushing through plateaus in pressing strength, endurance, core stability and mental toughness.  Whatever your focus is, pushups to failure can provide a good alternative stimulus from time to time, but I would never advocate them as a lifestyle, just a periodic inclusion to the routine, either for a day or two, or even for a short cycle to mix things up so you can get back to whatever your main exercise is, be it bench press, HSPUs, weighted pushups, dips, etc.  But the more frequently you do anything to failure, the more difficult it will be to recover, so the more rest will be needed, generally speaking.  That being said, I haven't done pushups to failure in probably a year or more because there are a lot of movements I prefer in terms of effectiveness related to my goals and just overall enjoyment.  I am perfectly content to be able to comfortably do 30 good form pushups at the drop of a hat, but I definitely will do them to failure again at some point.  There's even a 0.09% chance I'll do a set to failure today!   8)

Last edited by Dave on Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:10 pm

yea I do maxouts only for fun and test myself, high rep weigthted bench dips to failure helped me 2 years ago to achieve solid dipping strength because i had no parallel bars but they have no place in my current routine

Last edited by Buckyx on Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by ranger_x3 on Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:27 pm

Dave wrote:
I wouldn't say that.  Pushups to failure are a good tool for pushing through plateaus in pressing strength, endurance, core stability and mental toughness.  Whatever your focus is, pushups to failure can provide a good alternative stimulus from time to time, but I would never advocate them as a lifestyle, just a periodic inclusion to the routine, either for a day or two, or even for a short cycle to mix things up so you can get back to whatever your main exercise is, be it bench press, HSPUs, weighted pushups, dips, etc.  But the more frequently you do anything to failure, the more difficult it will be to recover, so the more rest will be needed, generally speaking.  That being said, I haven't done pushups to failure in probably a year or more because there are a lot of movements I prefer in terms of effectiveness related to my goals and just overall enjoyment.  I am perfectly content to be able to comfortably do 30 good form pushups at the drop of a hat, but I definitely will do them to failure again at some point.  There's even a 0.09% chance I'll do a set to failure today!   8)

I completely agree with this. One of the best analogies I've heard is that most of the time all you want to do is embarrass your body enough that it improves based on the stimulus you gave it, but every so often you need a test day in order to readjust your routine to keep it on the path of where you want to go.

Most of what I've read has said no more often than 3-4 weeks because it's too intense on the body. Not specifically training to failure, but one of those extra hard days. I have one scheduled every 6 weeks. It's the same repetitions for the workout each time, but depending on the training block I adjust the rest periods to coincide with the improvements I'm trying to achieve.

ranger_x3
Masterful
Masterful

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:11 pm

hmm maybe its hidden injuries? I have shoulder pain and discomfort, also in elbows sometimes since I switched from bars to home substitutes

hanging on railings dont do my shoulders well or its overhead press? my shoulders were ok back 2-3 months ago I was doing single bar dips, explosive exercises, supersets without problem, also more handstands .. I feel light pain in lateral deltoid on touch or when stretching hand above me - hanging, pressing
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by hedwards on Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:46 pm

My money is on either diet or rest. I've been having a similar problem that last couple weeks. A bit of weight gain and drastically reduced performance.

Part of that is obviously poor diet choices, but what precipitated the slide was poor sleep. Since I wasn't getting adequate sleep, my stress levels were way too high and ultimately, I wound up with a bit of weight gain and obvious reductions in my body's ability to repair and strengthen the muscles I was using.

There's also always the possibility that there isn't a real problem, at least not physically, but that for some reason you've created it in your mind and are now living it. If youre diet, sleep and all the rest are still fine, it might well be that you're fixating on an imaginary problem and causing it to happen.

I'm not sure how to apply this, but I'm learning to juggle and I've found that when I'm doing a really bad job of it, that spending a few moments to visualize myself succeeding usually makes a huge difference in terms of performance for the next bit.

hedwards
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top