PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

HOBO knife

View previous topic View next topic Go down

HOBO knife

Post by Cesar on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:01 am

Hey fellas!
I know it is not necesarily related to fitness and at the same time, I figured some of you might be into folding knives, slip-joints and such. I have recently become interested and have a handful of them.
I am looking into getting a Case XX HOBO

I am not sure if I should bother with the more expensive CASE one :^:  or go with a more cost effective one like Kissing Crane HOBO or a Another Kissing Crane

Any thoughts?  I know quality is key here.  Case has been around for many years and can not go wrong with them.  I have a 1989 Case XX medium stockman which is super quality.  I also have a Colonial Forest Master Boy Scout knife from the 1970s which I love.  The reason for the hobo knife is that I would like a cutlery set for work as I take a lunch bag daily.  I figured I might as well do it with some style.  LOL.

thanks in advanced for any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Re: HOBO knife

Post by Avocadoshake on Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:55 pm

Didn't knew that it was called a hobo knife.

Spoiler:
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:38 pm

well that is what they are called here in the states and on amazon. I do not know if they are referred to by the same name anywhere else.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:09 pm

If not for the fact that you need cutlery for your lunches I would have said it seems unnecessary. And it does kinda seem like overkill. Why not bring a spoon, knife and fork??  :shrug: 
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:14 am

Yes can seem like overkill. I like the idea of compact, all together - all three pieces come apart and back together to prevent loss. I had a fork, knife and spoon trio...now only the fork and spoon are left. lost the knife and do not know where it went.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:21 am

Well whatever floats your boat. I have bought over a dozen flashlights over the last couple years, so if you get this "toy" I will be the last to criticize you!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:46 pm

I have this for my lunch...

Foldable Knife, Spoon & Fork Set (Blue) by ARETAIL http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00M33EJW2/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_eUL4tb07ENYHT
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:27 pm

Exactly Dave! Lol

that looks like a nice one , rix.
the one I like separates into 3 individual utensils
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:01 am

Mine seperate a into two. Fork and spoon knife. Apperently it's a best seller in Germany? Random
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:12 am

I found the one you recommended on Amazon. It does not have any reviews at this time. Best seller in Germany? Any negative or concerning reviews?
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by hedwards on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:17 am

Dave wrote:If not for the fact that you need cutlery for your lunches I would have said it seems unnecessary.  And it does kinda seem like overkill.  Why not bring a spoon, knife and fork??   :shrug: 

What else could you use for a good game of knifey-spoony?

hedwards
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:29 am

Personally, for the money, I would get this.

It's good the one you like comes apart. But the handles are probably too short my hands.

For $50 less, mine is lighter and takes up less room. I've used these  for years camping. REI (and probably others) have them in vinyl. VERY light and does the job - with a case - helps you keep up with them.
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:02 pm

hedwards wrote:What else could you use for a good game of knifey-spoony?

Knifey-sppony LOL Had never heard of the game. I guess now I know.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:03 pm

Mike ,
my current set minus the knife which i lost a couple of years ago
I still have the spoon and fork which work great.  They are super sturdy. I might secure them together with some screws to make them into a spork like the lite my fire spork below. I keep them at work and do miss having the knife.  I will often use my pocket knife which I carry with me every day.  I rotate my knives daily or as the mood strikes. Today I am carrying my Colonial Forest Master 

I decided to go with lite my first spork for now.  it was a great deal - there is an eddie b. store near me and had them for about $2.99 and second one at half price. So bouught a blue one for lil C  and a yellow one for me.
I did see the Kabar you recommend.  Some of the reviews were not great so I took it off my list.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:32 pm

I was thinking more on [url=http://www.rei.com/product/781524/rei-campware-utensil-set]these lines[/u].

But I saw some vinyl ones and the knife was plenty sharp for whatever  cutting you would want for a lunch. You could buy several sets that would last a looong time.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:29 pm

I will do with what I have and then use my pocket knife. Maybe I can find the knife in a yard sale somewhere local. I don't use the knife often and it is nice to have.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:59 pm

itlives wrote:Personally, for the money, I would get this.

Now you're talking!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:06 am

I have had the CRKT eat-n-tool for some time. It is cool in a bunch - it is a little tough to eat with if eating out of a mason jar like I often do. I bring my salad in a mason jar to work on a regular like today. Overall, good tool.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:27 pm

Good review:

" The CRKT Eat'N Tool is a tactical spork. I don't really know what I can say that would trump this. If you are the type of person that thinks carrying around a tactical spork might be cool, then here you go. If not, what made you lose your sense of wonder with the world? "

:lol:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:40 pm

LOL. i got it cuz it has a spork, bottle opener, screw driver, and wrench. lol. found it at EMS. did not think of it as a tactical tool and instead a spork! lol
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:39 pm

So my wife saw this post and read that I had lost the knife that goes to this set and said "no you didn't" and pointed to the utensil drawer.  She said that she had seen it there and too look closed.  I checked and still could not find it.  Then I saw the package of a set of disposable chopsticks that had fallen in the back of the drawer.  As I go to remove them, I notice something shiny and metal. Well, story short, there goes my knife and now the set is whole again.
No need for a hobo knife or any other set of cutlery for my work lunch.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:51 pm

Are you sad now? ;)
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:35 am

no cuz now I can get...
and this
and this
this
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:50 pm

Why not this? Seems more up your alley. ;)
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:32 pm

I recently bought this one which is a mini trapper and about less than an inch smaller than

this one.  large trapper in amber bone. I am not keen on the black synthetic scales.

I like the feel of the bone.  I also have one like this case xx medium stockman in amber bone dated 1989
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:54 pm

I have a laguiole with an ivory coloured handle and a corkscrew. The blade is very easy to get hair shaving sharp. It's a nice little knife, but definitely not heavy duty use. I rather fixed blades for that task over folders, hands down.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:01 pm

I have a gerber fixed blade. Do not know the model name. it is 8 inch full tang, i believe.

I do have cold steel super edge - did not cost me anywhere close to this one - it was $20.

The rest are folders. I do have some spyderco folders, and rite edge. I am leaning towards the trapper and stockman patterns. Maybe some toothpicks.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:17 pm

Most of my knives are fixed blades.  Cold Steel Pendleton Hunter, CRKT Minimalst Bowie (I did have a wharncliffe too, but I lost it at work, sadly), Cold Steel Point Guard and a few others I have given away. The Bowie is my EDC, and I put it on my belt for a horizontal draw to the right.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:12 pm

I was looking at the minimalist and the s.p.e.w.
How do you like it?
Also my colonial forest master, byrd cara cara2. And my neighbor bought me a small patch skinner knife. Awesome lil knife.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:29 pm

The minimalist bowie is great! I love it to death. Also, the spew looks like a really good buy, and I am interested in it myself. Might just get it as my next EDC (assuming it is still small enough to use as such with a horizontal belt draw). Look like it is.

My only concern about it, though, is from an ethical stand point if I should ever have to draw in self defense, which would not be the purpose of the knife in the first place, mind you. I can talk or run myself out of most situations, thank God. But if it ever came down to slashes, the bowie style of curved blade will leave a much more humane and reparable injury than a pointy, straight bladed wharny. And I would not dream of carrying a karambit, despite the "cool factor" so many associate with it, for the simple fact that it would simply eviscerate and maim someone, rather than simply stop them, which is all a defensive weapon should be called upon to do (unless it is literally life or death, like in war, where you'd be using a 15 inch pig-sticker anyway).

But the s.p.e.w. looks fantastic as an EDC knife, although I would admittedly rather see it in that size as a bowie.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:29 am

I had been thinking about the two of them. I have seen them both and never held either. It appears to be very ergonomic. I have watched multiple youtube videos - mostly from cutlerylover. He seems to know his stuff. The bowie has a nice round belly and I like the pseudo-finger guard. Like you mention, gotta carry it on your belt, horinzontal - i believe that is called a scout carry. I have set up the sheathe for my super edge with some paracord criss crossed in order to have a horizontal carry on my belt. Haver not tried it yet.
I often carry a folder with me.

The SPEW does have a super pointy blade. for the description is sounds like it is a camping outdoors utility knife and yes i think that it would leave a nasty cut. I think that any blade can do the same depending on the style of blade. Some worst than others. the super edge is small, can carry it around neck, on keys, on belt and even pocket. It is has about 2.5 inch blade and it would fit in your hand. it is that small and it does the trick. It is a tough blade.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:38 am

See I would not carry the super edge just because of the nasty cuts it would leave if I had to deploy it in a defensive role.  As a utility knife, it sounds great - except I find sharpening serrations a pain in the petute.

Cesar wrote:I have set up the sheathe for my super edge with some paracord criss crossed in order to have a horizontal carry on my belt.

That's how I carry the minimalist bowie.  It is simply the best carry method I have ever encountered for quickness, ease of deployment and most importantly, comfort (the knife that is not comfortable is the knife you leave at home).  Try carrying it that way for a couple days, I'm sure you'll like it!

Oh, almost forgot: In Canada, concealed weapons are not allowed, but "weapon" is a subjective grey area between design and intent, so if I leave my shirt untucked carrying this, it is no problem, as it is too small to be considered a weapon and I don't carry it for the purpose of killing, injuring or intimidating anyone. Not sure what the New York statutes on concealed carry are, but be sure you check it out.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:47 am

I agreed. I wish they made it with a non-serrated edge. I carry a knife with the intent to use as a utility cutting instrument. Have not thought about it as a self-defense weapon, even though that option is there. I have not had the need and hope never to have the need to use in self-defence. I was thinking that once it is dull and broken down, I can have my knife sharpening guy get rid of the serrations. if possible.

it is my understanding that concealed is frowned upon. My brother in law is a NYS tropper. I asked him several years ago about length of blade if there were limitations as I had heard that you could carry as long as it is the length of your palm. He said and I quote "you can carry a samurai sword if you like." He then explained that it is all about the intent. Some of the knives I have and carry have a pocket clip so you can see if in my pocket and most of the knives I carry are small we are talking under 4 inch blade and possibly opened at 5-6 inches. Nothing more. Again utility and also, all but one are slip joints. My gerber and my super edge are the only ones that are fixed. and my small patch skinner
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:57 am

I was just looking at the minimalist on amazon.
Noticed that the minimalist bowie is model 2387 and there is another minimalist bowie which is model 2387k.
The K model has a black blade, that is the only difference I see. I prefer plain blade.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top