PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Miffed - at best!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Miffed - at best!

Post by Avocadoshake on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:14 am

:grrr!:
So everything was going quite well. I went through the last part of my morning mobility routine - stretching the hamstrings, when I felt it like a bolt in my lower back. Muscles cramped up almost immediately. As I recall I had a quite good form and was stretching nicely. Glutes felt good. Maybe the glutes are that good right now, so the lower back takes some time off now.

Needless to say, I'm pretty p***ed off right now. More stretching, light abs work, pepper ointment, hot water bottle on lower back. Long walk this afternoon.
:facepalm: S**T!
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Re: Miffed - at best!

Post by Avocadoshake on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:30 am

Actually my lower back isn't weak, as you can see. The pigmentation comes from the ointment.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:22 am

That sucks...rest it and feel better
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:52 am

AVO- you should ice it the first 24 hours, not heat.

How does it feel now?
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:40 am

itlives wrote:AVO- you should ice it the first 24 hours, not heat.

How does it feel now?

All done wrong :facepalm: actually i like the warm.
Lsd walk went quite well, now stiff as hell and burning. I'd rather crawl.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:08 pm

Mike is right. The first day or two, the ice helps keep the inflammation down. Even though the heat feels good, it increases the tissue damage associated with the bodies inflammation response to an injury and can make the stiffness and soreness worse later.
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:34 pm

ccheatum wrote:Mike is right. The first day or two, the ice helps keep the inflammation down. Even though the heat feels good, it increases the tissue damage associated with the bodies inflammation response to an injury and can make the stiffness and soreness worse later.
Ok, maybe a cold bath later.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:39 pm

If it is a lumbago, what i expect, moving around and warmth should be good.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:29 pm

Avo, sorry to hear about your back. What could have caused it? Was it the hammy stretch?

Anyway make sure to drink lots of water and I hope you feel better soon.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:46 pm

Dave.cyco wrote:Avo, sorry to hear about your back. What could have caused it? Was it the hammy stretch?

Anyway make sure to drink lots of water and I hope you feel better soon.

It was the bending fowards, but I did it with good form. As always I drink lots of tea!
I decided to see the doc on monday or wednesday by this occasion anyway, need consultation or a bit physio for my discomfort, concerning the imbalances in the left leg anyway. I came a long way alone, but I feel, I need a final nudge in the right direction, to finish this off.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:50 pm

Wait a sec... am I missing something? Have you been rehabbing from an injury all this time?
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:29 pm

Not really much to talk about. Muscular imbalances, the weak left glute and foot muscles cause some discomfort at times. Last year I was so stiff, that my quads felt like bubble wrap foil, when I was massaging them. Did I mention, I assume having fibromyalgia?
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:37 pm

Actually I had the ibs already - not an issue atm. Thank god. A strange skin dissease bugging me since childhood, but quite uncomfortably since the last three years(psoriasis?). Lately i begin seeing flys and have red eyes. - Maybe only a sleep deprivation issue because of the baby. Somedays I think I'm a wreck, but then I defy that!

But sitting on my butt makes me grumpy and stiff and the aches have improved with the training ever since.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by MF! on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:23 pm

Just curious.... what exercises are you doing for your back? is there anything that you are doing that addresses it specifically? are there any back stretches that you've included?

also from above, did i read correctly that you said you have fibromyalgia?
keep icing tonight, and if it is just a spasm then heat may be ok to use 2 or 3 days from today. topical ointments (tiger balm, etc) may do you some good, but dont combine it with the heat/cold.

definitely get the muscle imbalance looked into. It's more than likely that it may be a contributing factor, but its hard to say since I'm not actually looking at your condition in person.
MF!
Adept
Adept

http://traceurversusbboy.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:43 pm

Supermans, hip thrusts, back bridges, hip hinges, squat to stand and a bunch of yoga related exercises, some qi gong at times as well.
I assume, that fibromyalgia might be an issue, since it's not uncommon in combination with psoriasis. On tuesday I'm with my kinesiologist, we have been working on that and the spasms very well. The problem is, that they're only vague symptoms, most of the time all is good and only vague and then, out of the blue shit hits the fan.

Oh and btw. I still love running, cycling and swimming. However, i cut the running down to short fun runs atm. I did actually run today, i was under time pressure and i had to fetch my daughter, wearing my zero drop shoes, i ran about 1 k on a hilly course. That felt really good!

Last edited by Avocadoshake on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:09 pm

For training hip muscular imbalances, be sure to do lots of single leg movements, i.e. single leg hip thrusts, glute bridges, lunges, shrimp squat variations/progressions... always beginning with the weak side and training both sides evenly.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:43 pm

Dave.cyco wrote:For training hip muscular imbalances, be sure to do lots of single leg movements, i.e. single leg hip thrusts, glute bridges, lunges, shrimp squat variations/progressions... always beginning with the weak side and training both sides evenly.
Thanks dave.
Have been working on that. Slrdl, tgus, glute work.
Is a headache common with that spasms btw?
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:08 am

Forgot cat and camel, thoratic rotations and maybe a bunch of other ones I can't think off the top of my hat atm.
Not very much better this morning, but on a brigter note I still can workout upper body, arms shoulders, legs, glutes, abs, etc. Maybe even a few swings, since they're hip dominant - vertical hip thrusts actually.

Maybe I should re introduce myself here, so my background is posted here as well - i have a backup of my introduction at bwc.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:40 am

Oh and here a recent picture of one of my hands. It's aggravating, but has been worse. Had a good hike with the little one today, my better half gave me some meds.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by MF! on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:22 pm

I would ease back on the back-specific strengthening until the spasm subsides. Focus on mobility/flexibility and whatever cardio you can muster (to help you get loose). Address the glute imbalance to the best of your ability with the exercises you've listed above. From what it sounds like, seems like just a simple strain/spasm. The next time you approach a hamstring stretch I would do one of either:

1)

2)

3) advanced.... but a good position to build into for shoulder stability.
MF!
Adept
Adept

http://traceurversusbboy.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:43 pm

Thanks, agree 100 % on what you said. Any thoughts why i had haedaches along all that yesterday?
My wife gave me mephadolor 500 neo today btw. Quite better now. Usually I'd skip the meds, but in this case i gave in.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Praise the sumo

Post by Avocadoshake on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:09 am

So, anyway, I was writing my normal training down on paper today (push/ pull), to see how far I might get. First off a few squats to warm up, a few light swings that went surprisingly well and then sumo deadlift high pull. I was a bit concerned about that. But while squatting down, to grab the weights (only two 9 kg dumbbells), something seemed to snap in place.
Tomorrow afternoon, i have an appointment with the doctor anyway.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:55 pm

Avocadoshake wrote:I was a bit concerned about that. But while squatting down, to grab the weights (only two 9 kg dumbbells), something seemed to snap in place.

Is that good?
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:41 pm

Dave.cyco wrote:
Avocadoshake wrote:I was a bit concerned about that. But while squatting down, to grab the weights (only two 9 kg dumbbells), something seemed to snap in place.

Is that good?

It felt right. I feel quite good now, only slightly sore.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:09 pm

Glad to hear it! :)
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisTG on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:48 pm

I've had my back pop and feel amazing... when I did actually hurt it, there was nothing big, it just became painful over a few days and then took years to get better.

ChrisTG
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:34 pm

ChrisTG wrote:I've had my back pop and feel amazing... when I did actually hurt it, there was nothing big, it just became painful over a few days and then took years to get better.
that sounds painful, hope it's better now.

Almost feel like a fish in the water right now. the kinesiologist did a hell of a good job NST-ing the s**t out. Turns out, I'm quite agile for my age. I suspect I have a very low tolerance for pain.

The doc gave me an ointment and an assortiment of pills, if the ointment isn't enough. Seems like my back muscles are still slightly cramped and inflamed. Atm. it's no biggie anymore, but ****, it was uncomfortable during the weekend.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum