PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

lower back rehab

View previous topic View next topic Go down

lower back rehab

Post by Buckyx on Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:47 am

I have probably the weakest lower back on this planet, today did few scapula pull ups as warm up, arched too much felt only little discomfort in lower back but after I dismounted from railings I immediatly felt strong but not sharp pain in whole lower back area

I dont know how it could happen, I am doing some arch holds without problem also I did this pull ups before, my shoulders felt really great hanging so I wanted to warm up scapulas with this.........

need some tips how to warm up lower back before training, how to strengthen lower back - will planks help me? I did couple of OHPs with 47kg loading barbell from ground, carrying vest or barbells and never felt lower back during these but I lightly injured with 10kg front squats like 10 days ago, I really dont understand my body
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Re: lower back rehab

Post by Rix on Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:11 pm

Form. Correct your form on everything you do and you theoretically shouldnt get problems. Back problems can be underlying and caused from something else and then surface through a tiny error.

Stop working out and recover properly then start including bridges and deadlifts into your routine. Try to always clench your glutes during exercises, this will help to keep your lower back straight.

Im no expert but all this ^^ helped in my experience.

EDIT: dont crash down from railings, lower yourself down and dismount safely unless you want bad knees and lower back pains all the time.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:29 pm

I dont know how bad form can cause lower back problems on scapula pull ups, I was just arching back and doing pull ups in that position, depressed and retraced scapulas arch back naturally, I did this before

my core got really weak and my low back has problem with supporting my body maybe as my back had less stress hanging than standing

I dont crash down from railings, I get to passive hang and I have chair behind me so I use that for dismount

bridges + planks? I am afraid of deadlifts, I train at home and there is nobody to correct my form also I dont want to get more breaks, since I am at home and its 2.5 months I workout less and with less intensity that I used to and yet I am getting more injuries
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:38 pm

Your answering your own questions in your posts, if your arching your back then that could easily cause issues in lower back, your need to keep the core tight when doing scapular pullups, if your letting your spine hang and arch, think about all the pressure your lower back is receiving.

Increase core strength with planks and bridges then, but dont be afraid to deadlift, just be clever about it. Watch videos and take notes, then start off light until you are comfortable, use your phone or something to video, then assess and progress.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:57 pm

..yeah I arched, but I thought you are supposed to arch during that pull ups I see everyone arching who do that and when I depress scapulas my body arch itself

I am not expert in this but for sure my lower back is weakest part of my body and my lats, upper back are very strong now
maybe its just pulled muscle or thats imbalance like I said .. I squatted 50+ kg corn bag once from ATG without previous leg training but I trained core hard that days

what is good way to start bridges? I was following convict conditioning last summer and first step was very easy I could do 20+ reps/set but I couldnt even get to position of 2nd progression
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:18 pm

Are you a sheep? Sometimes I wonder if your trolling Bucky. Do some research yourself. Listen to advice and keep core tight, this movement is a lat activation and for scapular stability, only do it for as many reps as you can do properly.

If your training less and worse than you use to then your clearly doing something completely wrong. Scrap everything and start again. Train smarter not harder.

Start or with static glute bridges and then work up to static wrestler bridges with hands to support, then full bridges.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:20 pm

Here's my two cents.

First, learn to activate your glutes, and then warm up with glute activation, every single workout.  Superdog is a great way to do it.  Do as many reps per side as needed to really feel the glutes.  Probably 10-25 per side.  Learning to activate your glute protects your lower back, as Rix suggested.

Proceed to warming the lower back up with supermans.  Do this every single workout too.

Then for strength and muscle increases start training hyperextensions, starting with BW only. You don't have to go crazy with this, just 2-3 sets of 8-12 should be fine. Then slowly progress to weighted once this is too easy. You would do it by holding a 10-25 pound plate to your chest.

Once you have spend some weeks at this, by all means deadlift without fear.  Your body should certainly be ready.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:30 pm

I'll have to disagree with Dave on this one. Bird dogs really aren't great for integrated glute activation (i.e. hip drive). A simple shoulder bridge, focusing on hamstring activation/posterior pelvic tilt and a squeeze at the top should be fine.

Some sort of imbalance could be the issue as well; and for that the elbow bridge is a good idea:

And again, if hyperlordosis (too much arching) is the problem, supermans are liable to make it worse. Sounds like Bucky might have anterior pelvic tilt, which is a pretty common issue--I have it--and low back isolation in extension is not a good idea at all.

Hyperextensions are great, though they in no way indicate readiness to pull off the floor. Again, make it an integrated movement folding at the hips, not an isolated one just extending the low back. If you don't have access to a gym with a back raise, get a swiss ball to do them for sure.

Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:45 pm

Journeyman wrote:Hyperextensions are great... If you don't have access to a gym with a back raise, get a swiss ball to do them for sure.

:idea: :idea: :idea: 

Why did I never think of this!  I have a swiss ball at home and have been looking for a way to do these on the regular!!!

Thanks a million for this Jman.  :hatsoff: 
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:51 pm

lol I am not a sheep, did a lot of research during my 2+ years training and I am lost in all that information and I rather want to learn from someone with experience in this than getting more injuries

I was simply not active from my teen years and sit a lot

when I look back to my first log I did sets of 2-3 pull ups and was happy back then

thanks for tips I will try that, I was doing a lot of planks 3 months ago but I found it as annoying when it should be main core exercise instead of finisher
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:50 am

Dave wrote:
Journeyman wrote:Hyperextensions are great... If you don't have access to a gym with a back raise, get a swiss ball to do them for sure.

:idea: :idea: :idea: 

Why did I never think of this!  I have a swiss ball at home and have been looking for a way to do these on the regular!!!

Thanks a million for this Jman.   :hatsoff: 

They're decent... if you have a 45 degree back raise it's much better though, and of course a legit hyperextension bench (where you're parallel to the floor at the top) is the best.

I'm sure you could jury-rig something similar to the last one on your squat rack with some boards, a pad, and an afternoon experimenting.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:12 pm

I couldn't get it to work with my swiss ball. My upper body is too long and heavy and I had no way to anchor my feet.  And with a 10 x 10 room to train and change plates in at home, I am definitely not bringing any more space consuming materials in. Fortunately, I found a hyper machine at the gym, and it works like a charm.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Buckyx wrote:thanks for tips I will try that, I was doing a lot of planks 3 months ago but I found it as annoying when it should be main core exercise instead of finisher

From the sound of your log posts today you need more than just planks. You might need a chiropractor.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:15 pm

It's possible he has some serious issue but it's not likely. Sounds more like lack of body awareness needed to work through these problems, and trying to push through them instead of stopping doing the problem stuff and actually fixing the issues....
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:24 pm

I need to fix ATP, I noticed my posture is very bad, cause by too much sitting
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by CDL2042 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:57 pm

I also sit a lot at work. My chiropractor says he treats way more bad backs from people who sit than people who stand or do physical labor.

I fractured a vertebrae in the middle of my back in high school and about 10 years ago badly damaged a disc in my lower back. I am pretty much pain free. I have found things that work for ME, so maybe they will work for you, or maybe you can find some things that work for YOU.

I do bridges, front and back, and if my back is tight at night I often lay on a large exercise ball and arch and stretch backwards and then forwards. Trying to touch my forehead and feet to the ground at the same time.

I also do various exercises involving twisting. An example would be laying on the floor with your arms out to the sides, raise one leg up and twist to try and touch the floor on the opposite side.

I do bodyweight exercises, dumbells, and kettlebells. If I slack for a couple of weeks my body will start to ache and when I start exercising again the aches go away. Shoulders, hips, and back.

I'm 42 and being pain free (and strong) is important. Nothing takes away strength more than pain. I see these runners (my age and older) going down the road and their legs are all stiff looking and their bodies are crooked and their feet look like they hurt, and God bless them for their determination, but I think exercise should help relieve pain.
CDL2042
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by CDL2042 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:02 pm

It is usually about 2-3 years between chiropractor visits for me. He works me over 1 time and sends me home.
CDL2042
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:52 pm

CDL2042 wrote:Nothing takes away strength more than pain. I see these runners (my age and older) going down the road and their legs are all stiff looking and their bodies are crooked and their feet look like they hurt, and God bless them for their determination, but I think exercise should help relieve pain.

100% agreed!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top