PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

How soon they grow up...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How soon they grow up...

Post by Glinda on Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:33 pm

My "baby" nephew is turning 15 soon and is determined to build strength and agility! He scoffs that unlike his older brother, that he's not just doing it to look good. But I imagine that he won't mind if girls notice.

So, my boyfriend and I sent him some links on putting together workouts from all over the internet. Sources that we trust, you know?

And I am wondering is there a way to encourage him from afar, without being the crazy auntie smothering him with advice? And yes, they do know how much I lift. I have a reputation to maintain in the family.

Glinda
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Re: How soon they grow up...

Post by GreekPT on Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:38 am

Burpees. Not much more need be said.
But while we are on this topic, a young studly buck like him should be able to (easily) do 20:1 in under 20:00 and if he's even more studly 25:1 in under 25:00. If he gets to 30:1 in under 30:00, I will gladly buy him a (root) beer. ; )

GreekPT
Wanted for Chococide
Wanted for Chococide

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:28 am

Post number 8 should keep him huffing and puffing for awhile

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com/t55-conditioning-101

Or, go to Cheeses log.

A good way for him to be encouraged is to have him join us! Lots of encouragement. We grow with him. We like to see the accomplishments of noobs!
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Glinda on Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:13 pm

That's true! And you guys would be able scale me back if I got too... You know, bossy.

Glinda
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:30 pm

You may be top dog now and will always have familial respect but, a 15 y.o. is just a bundle of hormones ready for whatever the world throws at him.
Teach him well, master!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:21 pm

I'm a bit late to this thread but here's my .02:

I've worked a decent amount with kids about that age this year and seriously, I wish I knew some of the things I've been learning when I started out (at about that same age).
tbh there's quite a lot to look out for. Growth spurts tend to leave kids with weird proportions for a few years and absolutely ruin their coordination, they lack body control and stability in some areas but can often be hypermobile in others (more of a problem for girls though, generally) and of course growing up with computers can leave some serious postural issues.

Anything he does should really be focused on 1. coordination, and 2. getting stronger. Preferably, a heck of a lot of stability/mobility work wherever he needs it, and a sensible, fairly low-volume strength program. And just being active in general. The last thing I'd advise is any sort of conventional high volume calisthenics/circuit routine.
(Now, will pushups and situps and bench presses and pullups and running, like most kids that age end up doing, hurt him? Maybe, maybe not. But if he's serious and you actually want to help, there are so many better ways to do things....)

Where do you live? (feel free to PM me). I might be able to put you in touch with someone who could give him a quick once-over just to determine if there's anything in particular that would be a very good idea to work on. And if not, I'm fairly busy right now but might be able to help out myself.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top