PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Daily Burpees and Shoulder Pain

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by Cesar on Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:42 pm

Journeyman wrote:
Cesar wrote:My left shoulder is still a bit tweaked depending on how I move it.  Hope it heals and then more pressing.
 What's up with the tweak, exactly?

I am not too familiar with shoulder anatomy.  If you were to place your finger on the top of the joint then move down your arm about 1.5 inch to 2 inch and then to the right about an inch ( we are talking about my left shoulder) that is where it hurts at times.  Now it gets tight during the evening and then it takes some time in the morning to get it moving without discomfort.  [url=http://www.emrphy.com/lbeb/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/shoulder-muscles-anatomy-diagram.gif]deltoid muscle

Not sure how else to describe it.  I will check in with one of the residents I have at the clinic i work in and will update with more specifics.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Re: Daily Burpees and Shoulder Pain

Post by Journeyman on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:47 pm

Hm yeah hard to tell from that description. Are you talking about the top of the AC joint?

Light getups emphasizing Tspine extension, armbars, and bar hangs are your friend, my friend... those and some light band work will help with almost everything shoulder-related. What's up with the tweak, exactly?
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:32 pm

I figured it was not clear enough of a description. I was stalling until i saw my chiro this evening. She said it is my superspinatus tendon. She recommended icing it and being careful so it does not turn into tendonitis.

Last edited by Cesar on Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:37 pm

Supraspinatus?

Do not ice it... ice will almost always slow the healing process. If anything, apply heat to keep a healthy bloodflow in there. I'd say do bar hangs, wall slides... lots of overhead reach type stuff. Keep things moving as much as you can.

How'd the tweak happen?
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:06 am

I believe it was a combination of things.  
First, all these burpees.
second, i was doing the 10k swings with oh presses.
Third, I thought I was superman and did not listen to your warning and in addition to burpees I did some TGUs.  

So the moral of the story is too much of a combination of things is just that...too much.

It does not bother me when I do OH presses or swings.  When I do dips i can feel it.  when i raise my arm at a 45 degree so not a front raise or lateral just something in between.  In the morning after a night of sleep, it is tight.  So I have to do some circles and once I get in the groove of the burpees it feels better. I have been trying to pack my shoulder when doing the push up part of the burpees.  It slows them down and I feel that my shoulder is more stable.  

I agree on the heat.  The ice will stiffen it up and prevent my body from healing itself.  As I type, I have a heating pad on my shoulder to warm it up and get blood flowing to the site and heal.  

So the big question is...do I keep doing burpees or lay off for a couple of week.  it does not bother me all the time just when stiff and when i do that diagonal raise movement.  Also it is my dominant arm and I often carry my sons mostly Santino using my left arm. reading your reply, Jman, it sound that keeping the movement going will help it...burpees?

I just reached for my coffee with my left to drink, I felt the pull not pain just knowing that it was there.
Thanks.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:44 pm

Don't do the burpees

Press overhead--light--and do those unloaded overhead reach movements

If you place your hand on your opposite shoulder, can you raise your elbow without pain?

http://www.mikereinold.com/wp-content/uploads/blogger/57-image[30].png
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:06 pm

Yes I can raise it with no problem.

No burpees....bummer.  This sucks!!!!! How about burpees with no push ups. squat deep to place hands down, then top of push up and just frog leap forward and then vertical jump.  no push up?????

Ok so then I will only be able to do pull ups, squats, deads...how about shouldering the sandbag.

Last edited by Cesar on Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:19 pm

Cesar, I have to say, it is starting to sound like you're doing burpees for the sake of burpees!  You might not remember ABHPage, but he was a burpee fiend, and got downright beastly at them, but he messed up his shoulders pretty bad and had to lay off them altogether.  As I recall, he did high volume burpees for a whole year, maybe more?  I'm sure Jman would remember the details.

Anyway, since you and he were already discussing it when I saw your log last night, I decided to wait til he responded, but my first thought also was to say stop doing burpees, and for an indefinite period of time, or at least until your shoulders feel even better than before.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:04 am

Ok, so no more burpees for a while.

It sounds like my training is going to have to morph...
Pulling and lower body movements. How about goblets - that will put pressure on the shoulder, right?
No load bearing pushing - horizontal or vertical.
Swings?
cleans?
SB shouldering?
I want to keep moving, training, evolving, continue to be consistent, build strength, not aggravate the shoulder or cause further/permanent injury.

Any thoughts, Dave, Jman?

Last edited by Cesar on Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correction)
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:44 am

Cesar wrote:I want to keep moving and not aggravate the shoulder and cause further or permanent injury.

I, too, would love to see your training amount to a whole lot more than "keep moving but just don't ruin myself for life".  :beardy:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:00 am

That is true, Dave.  I do worry the consistency I have had for the last 204 days not go back to the old non-consistent Cesar.  I plan on keep training daily.  The question is how.  Do I focus on HIIT?  I enjoy complex movements.  I want to continue to do something that will get the lungs going like burpees did.  I am thinking swings again and at the same time, I worry that they will aggravate shoulder, thought?  
Last night, I was rocking Santino to sleep, starting with him vertical on my arms and head on my shoulder, eventually he lays down across my arms with head on the crease of my left arm.  I felt the discomfort on my shoulder as I compensate by pulling up.  It then hit me that this has been going on for a long time, at least since Lil Cesar was a baby, I would feel the same discomfort.  Maybe this has been a either weakness on the shoulder or an older injury that was not too problematic.  And now that I have been doing the daily 100, then it has become more of a problem.  So who know?!?!?
All I know right now, is that I have to remain motivated, play/train daily and allow my training to evolve.

THIS WHOLE THINGS HAS ME - out of sorts. It has shocked the system and I worry about losing what I have gained. I have dropped 20lbs and gone from 38 waist to 34 waist. Burpees were king and now Consistency is!!!!
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:06 am

Dave wrote:You might not remember ABHPage, but he was a burpee fiend, and got downright beastly at them, but he messed up his shoulders pretty bad and had to lay off them altogether.  As I recall, he did high volume burpees for a whole year, maybe more?

Cesar wrote:I want to keep moving, training, evolving, continue to be consistent, build strength, not aggravate the shoulder or cause further/permanent injury.

Any exercise - done at high volume, every day, over a long time period - will mess you up. Burpees don't look like a dangerous exercise, but they put a lot of a lot of impact and shock absorption stress on them shoulder muscles and joints. Tendinitis will go away, but it can flare up again easily.

For conditioning, you can try high-rep squats, jumps, sprint intervals on a stationary bike. Switch them around, it's generally a good idea to avoid doing the same exercise on consecutive days.

As for the injury, look into possible trigger points for the shoulder pain (FYI, they might not be in the shoulder itself). Upper back (esp. scapular area), triceps, even forearms could be possible culprits.
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:11 am

thanks Fatman. my chiro mentioned left pec as it attached around the same location at the tendon. She offered that I might have pulled it or strained it would realizing. I have been focusing on burpees for 204 days and not being as consistent with pulling movements which as per what I read can also be a trigger - balance issue.

Thanks for the ideas for conditioning.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:21 pm

Sorry about you injury. I also injured my shoulder doing burpees ( one hand on a medicine ball burpees). From what I can tell - and this multiple years worth - the pain might move around a little, but never goes away completely.
Shoulders are something! I never hurt mine ever doing anything, Then one day (I'm in my 50's), and BAM! The weird thing was, it didn't really hurt at the time. I just knew something wasn't right.
i didn't go away. I had to completely stop anything that would aggravate it. After a while, I was able to restart -but it was quite a while. Like 2 years of no pull-ups. A dead hang was agony. Still hurts if I try a one-arm hang.
I say all this for you be very aware of what is happening. it will be worth stopping anything that makes it hurt. Learn to hold your kids with the other arm.
I pray a speedy recovery for you!
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:36 pm

Thanks, Mike.  The only thing that aggravates it is diagonal raise at this time.  also tightness in the morning.  nothing more.

Last edited by Cesar on Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:40 pm

High rep squats FT(conditioning)W.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:17 pm

deck squat jumps instead of burpees...loL
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:14 pm

What fatman said.

I've been noting for a while... burpees are pretty risky in that it's very hard to maintain basic safety precautions (shoulder packing, proper abdominal tension, etc.) when coming down to the ground from standing. Especially done for hundreds of reps and especially when done often.

Swings will not aggravate your shoulder. If they do, you are doing them very wrong, haha. Swings, squats, lunges, crawling, jump rope... mix things up so you don't get repetitive stress injuries, which again are possible even if your form is great.

As for the shoulder, just try to keep it moving. Take some time off of pressing except very light overhead presses. Face pulls, band pullaparts, wall slides, any rotator cuff exercise; do as much as you can that doesn't bother it. Do light horizontal pulling (rows etc.) if you can.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:32 am

Pull ups?
thanks jman.
appreciate the input.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:37 pm

Depends. More internal rotation probably isn't what you need right now.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by GreekPT on Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:28 pm

Sorry to hear (albeit I'm a lil late to this party) about your shoulder issues Cesar! But that's my life pretty much now these days, shoulder pain this and shoulder pain that. The guy who invents a new and betterer shoulder will be a gazillionaire!

Can you get on a rower? It will help with the pulling for some balance work and you can overemphasize the leg push portion of the move to really work those quads. And perhaps it's time to climb aboard a Stair Monster.

GreekPT
Wanted for Chococide
Wanted for Chococide

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:14 am

Stairs monsters love to eat butt!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:58 am

Journeyman wrote:]Depends. More internal rotation probably isn't what you need right now.

Great.  I have done neutral grip pulls, not often since I stopped doing burpees.  I have not felt any discomfort and at the same time, I do not want to run the risk of further injury.  One more  BWE of my list and I was going to make these - http://youtu.be/IfNb2sFNswU.  You are like the grinch that stole BWEs...Jman.  LOL. thanks for the input.   I have not been able to record single hand and two hand swings or cleans. I plan on doing it tomorrow and or this evening and then post on FB.

GreekPT wrote:Sorry to hear (albeit I'm a lil late to this party) about your shoulder issues Cesar!  But that's my life pretty much now these days, shoulder pain this and shoulder pain that.  The guy who invents a new and betterer shoulder will be a gazillionaire!
Can you get on a rower? It will help with the pulling for some balance work and you can overemphasize the leg push portion of the move to really work those quads.  And perhaps it's time to climb aboard a Stair Monster.

Yeah it sucks.  No OH or horizontal pressing. No snatches, no pull ups, no push ups, no burpees.  I feel like you would if the world ran out of chocolate malt balls...sad sad.
No access to a rower or stair monster.  I do have access to some hill near my house. I would take a nice 5 min jog there and then do some hill sprints.  I will take a picture of it and text it to you.

itlives wrote:Stairs monsters love to eat butt!
I have a small rear end to begin with.  Maybe hill will increase size or not!
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:54 am

Cesar wrote:You are like the grinch that stole BWEs...Jman.

HAHA! You got a good LOL out of me with that one!

GreekPT wrote:No OH or horizontal pressing. No snatches, no pull ups, no push ups, no burpees.  I feel like you would if the world ran out of chocolate malt balls...sad sad.

You are a funny man today Cesar!

itlives wrote:Stairs monsters love to eat butt!
I have a small rear end to begin with.  Maybe hill will increase size or not![/quote]

Ou la la, une petite derrière? Increase it hills will, quite likely so. Calves along with it.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:00 am

I was just thinking, do you have an exercise band? I have a heavy thera band that I use sometimes for a variety of exercises, including some I learned from Fatman's guide to cable pulling. One of them is a press where you hold the band behind your neck and press straight out to either side at once. Great for the triceps, I don't know if it would exacerbate your shoulders or not. Maybe it is worth a try (starting light of course to feel it out)?

And Fatman, if you see this post, could I possibly get the most up to date version of your guide? Everywhere I look for it it seems to be only available on Scribd, but I can't get anything from Scribd.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:59 am

Dave,
I believe Jman recommended bands for pull aparts, rows. I was at Wally World last night when you texted and they have gold's gym bands - various levels from medium to heavy to ultra heavy. which to buy?
I looked at the boxes trying to find more clarification as to what the sizes meant. Any ideas?

Not being able to do OH or horizontal presses and or pull ups is going to suck!
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:07 pm

It sucks, but it's not forever if you're smart about it.

See if you can try the bands.  Anything you can do for 5 reps, or that doesn't hurt your shoulder, I would say.  You can also use them to do "lat pulldows", by draping them over a fixture, so you get some light horizontal pulling that way.  Just ramp up the TUT and you're golden.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:13 pm

Just looked at the link and I have no idea.  Ask an associate to let you open it up and try it, if they say no, remind them that Walmart lets you return stuff, no questions asked, so if it's the wrong one, you'll just return OPENED it before you even leave the store with it so you can get the right resistance.  I'd say it's worth the "hassle".
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:25 pm

I will give it a shot then. thanks Dave.

Do these
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:16 pm

Dave wrote:And Fatman, if you see this post, could I possibly get the most up to date version of your guide?  Everywhere I look for it it seems to be only available on Scribd, but I can't get anything from Scribd.

Scribd sucks. This guy (gal?) put the guide up on his site with my permission, so DL it from there:

http://yoga-horizons.com/pdfs/Fatmans-Guide-to-Cable-Training-2.pdf

Swings are good, and if done right you won't feel them in your shoulders at all. They should be 100% lower body, think of the arms as ropes holding the KB, nothing else. I prefer 2-handed to 1-handed swings.

Rubber cable exercises are great for the shoulders and upper back, but be careful and test them out to see which ones aggravate your injury and which ones can be done pain free. No point in doing them if they'll compound your issue.
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:57 pm

Dangling ropes, it is. thanks Fatman!
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down