PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Nutrition ratios?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nutrition ratios?

Post by Guitar_maniac on Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:41 pm

I was told that about 50% should come from carbs, 30 from protein and 20 from healthy fats.

My daily calorie need is about 3 500+, so that would about 250+grams of protein, this can't be right? :D my weight is about 85 now.

my bmr is 1961, and used the x 1,55 when i calculated my calorie needs. Or did i make a miscalculation in some point?
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

http://www.facebook.com/esa.lackstrom

Back to top Go down

Re: Nutrition ratios?

Post by Fatman on Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:13 pm

I wouldn't put much faith in those calorie needs calculators, they are slightly less reliable than one-rep-max calculators. Which is to say, not reliable at all.

Your calculations are correct, 30% of 3,500 cals comes out to around 262 grams of protein per day. Which is ridiculous IMO.
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar_maniac on Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:50 pm

Yes, that seemed way wrong :D First time i have ever used a calculator, BMR seems ok though. What would be the correct way of eating then?

Not looking into calories, but more getting enough grams of carbs, pro's and fats? How many carbs per kg, would be good? I'm so lost with searching on the net, different guides everywhere.
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:28 pm

Stick to one guide, use it, experiment with it, LEARN IT, and then, after a month or two, if you're getting fat, or it's unsustainable (i.e. you can't stick to it, you notice you're binging more or something, etc.), then change to something else. Numbers don't really matter too much and are subject to change. BUT, for starters:

Protein - set to about 1g/lb BW (what is this, like 1.6-1.8g/kg? something like that)

Fat - .5-1g/lb BW

Carbs - the rest

Again, NUMBERS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE with activity levels, goals, etc., so don't think of these as set in stone - rather, think of them as a starting point which you can modify as you need.

I will also recommend two resources (yes, you gotta pay, but they're worth it, and not expensive) for further reading and as a starting guide:

The Truth About Carbs - by Nate Miyaki. Great read, only costs 2.99, and I think it's free if you're an amazon prime user like myself (I got it free).

The Renaissance Diet - by Dr. Mike Israetel et al.

Great book, aimed moreso at the competitive crowd (so may not be right for you initially, although it's still great and simple to understand and awesome resources inside) than the other book, but it's still fantastic.

Buy one of these, read it, learn it, apply it, and then move on to something else or modify if it's still not working.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar_maniac on Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:12 am

Yea, bought the first ones! I'll think about that next one after i have finished this.

You comment "yeah, you gotta pay etc" reminded me of last summer. I was working free at one car show that my friends were organizinf, i was helping them out as a security. Ticket cost 2 euros, and i had to walk 5 people out at that day for coming over the fences, and hence not having the colored bracelet.3 of them had a hotdog, and a can of pepsi in their hand, that cost 7 euros.
people are so strange, they don't want to pay if something costs and is necessary, just like that entrance fee. 2 euros! But then food which is voluntary, and much expensive, they buy it right away.
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top