PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Captain of Crush grippers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Captain of Crush grippers

Post by Cesar on Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:18 pm

Anyone try them out?

What do you think? Pros/Cons?

Trainer or #1?
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Re: Captain of Crush grippers

Post by Dave on Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:53 pm

Mine of Heavy Grips. Not really familiar with Captains. But from people's comparisons online, and from my own experience, and knowing you have smaller hands, I would recommend the trainer, unless you already have a decently strong crush grip.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:26 pm

Heavy grips. What do you recommend to start?
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:22 pm

The whole set.  Because it is affordable and you get each one at a lower price buying the whole set.  Then you never have to buy another one, because if and when you ever fully close the 350, you have much stronger crushing grip strength than anyone you will ever meet, outside of a powerlifting competition.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:31 am

Mcem and I compared the two when we hung out this summer. He has several (like 4 I think?) HGs and I have the Trainer, 1, and 2 captains of crush. My verdict--CoC are better made/feel higher quality and also MUCH harder at the same poundage rating. I read that online but the difference in real life still surprised me. The #1 coc (140lb) made the HG200 feel easy. Apparently they measure them differently. From what I've heard the coc also last much longer, the springs on the HGs will loosen up and they'll get easier more quickly than the Cocs.

On the other hand, CoC don't have the smaller increments of progression and depending on which generation you get, some are even wickedly harder than others of the same category i.e. they don't all match up in difficulty to each other, supposedly some are way above even their supposed poundage ratings.

Personally for general crush grip development I'd recommend the ivanko or its cheaper american knockoff, the ironwoody. Adjustable from like 60lb to over 300 (and this is comparable to the captains of crush ratings, i.e. much higher than HG300 or 350 or whatever) and for the price of like 1 or 2 HG or CoC grips. It feels a bit different in your hand, but unless you plan on gripper competitions and you need to prepare to close a certain type, the ivanko is the one to get. You get a ton of smaller progression increments, easy adjustments, you can assist with your other hand to do negatives, and of course you can muck around with drop sets and stuff. It's also easier to clean in terms of using chalk than normal gripper handles. The only downside is that it's pretty darn big so you can't just slip one in your pocket or whatever. Think tablet computer sized.

Also, grippers have basically nothing to do with general support grip (the type for holding onto a barbell, kettlebell, dumbbell, or pullup bar), especially if you have hands on the small side.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:33 am

Ivanko gripper resistance possibilities:

Yes that is all just one gripper. It's kinda awesome. And for like $10 you can get a third spring and ratchet it up to ridiculous resistance levels, well over coc #4 level.

I guess this is the american version now, maybe ironwoody went out of business or something.
http://www.amazon.com/CFF-Bull-Super-Vise-Gripper/dp/B00GLYTAW8/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1421563001&sr=1-3&keywords=iron+woody+gripper
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:29 am

Wholly crap, that's a much better option, and for the price, you can't beat it!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:55 am

I liked the review by "Duff McDuffee". Pretty comprehensive. And it got me interested in the SideWinder, too!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:32 pm

Cesar wrote:Anyone try them out?

What do you think? Pros/Cons?

Trainer or #1?

Trainer.

GTG it, later use it as a warmup.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:00 pm

:up:

Let me know how you guys like it. Still one of the best purchases of training equipment I've made even though I don't use it very often. I'm pretty sure it ages better than standard grippers, too.

The sidewinder--just looked up that review. So it's like a self contained wrist roller? That is pretty cool.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:37 am

Actually the grip strength from the CoC does carry over for kneading purposes and such.
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:09 am

I have been doing some readign and the COCs are well made. Yes increments are large and they are easy to carry - throw in my pocket or backpack. The Ivanko or the CFF Pit Bull Super Vise Gripper seem to be very similar. I do like the black over the green.
Jman - thanks for the spring chart.

I read the McDuffee review on Amazon - yes pretty comprehensive.  I like that he mentions hwo to use.  From CFF, you save yourself some money.
Sidewinder looks cool - too steep for my pocket, though.  Might as well just get a rope, a place and a metal rod or tubing to roll.
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:02 pm

Avocadoshake wrote:Actually the grip strength from the CoC does carry over for kneading purposes and such.

Kneading bread?

I was mainly referring to Dave's comment about grip--powerlifters as a group don't really have great grip strength. Except maybe the superheavyweight dudes with giant hands who are just massively strong everywhere to start with.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:41 pm

My point was simply that almost nobody can close the HG350, that it would take someone seriously strong to do so. I have never closed mine, and nobody I have ever had try it has been able to either, except one guy came close.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Avocadoshake on Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:48 am

Journeyman wrote:
Avocadoshake wrote:Actually the grip strength from the CoC does carry over for kneading purposes and such.

Kneading bread?

I was mainly referring to Dave's comment about grip--powerlifters as a group don't really have great grip strength. Except maybe the superheavyweight dudes with giant hands who are just massively strong everywhere to start with.

Yes, kneading, like giving your significant other a hearty massage, working with food, potting up plants, snipping twigs in the garden, engaging the brakes on a descent on the bike.

Probably not so much for powerlifters, but I'm glad, I gave the CoCs a try. On the other hand I have not small hands and am hauling around my weights anyway and probably don't need more grip training for my lifting purposes. Setting up the weights and storing them, throwing in a walk with them is enough for me.

Anyway I noticed a bulk in my forearms nonetheless, because for increasing mass the grippers may not be optimal.

Plus you should consider this as well:
Antagonistic balance

Just my two swiss francs ;)
Avocadoshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:51 am

Avocadoshake wrote:Plus you should consider this as well:
Antagonistic balance

:yeahthat:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:36 pm

Dave wrote:My point was simply that almost nobody can close the HG350, that it would take someone seriously strong to do so.  I have never closed mine, and nobody I have ever had try it has been able to either, except one guy came close.

Right--someone who either has ridiculous natural hand strength, or trains specifically for grip. iirc the HG350 is roughly equal to the coc #3, so, yeah. Definitely doable by a lot of people but almost all of them have to train very seriously. Not sure what to compare it to... maybe a 405 raw bench or a super strict one arm pullup.

--My point was that you probably wouldn't find someone at most powerlifting meets capable of doing it outside of the SHW freaks. And even then. Kevin Nee told me he couldn't close a #3 (or maybe that was the 3.5 he didn't get)... and he's a freak with big hands to boot. Gotta train for it.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:39 pm

Avocadoshake wrote:
Journeyman wrote:

Kneading bread?

Yes, kneading, like giving your significant other a hearty massage, working with food, potting up plants, snipping twigs in the garden, engaging the brakes on a descent on the bike.

Probably not so much for powerlifters, but I'm glad, I gave the CoCs a try. On the other hand I have not small hands and am hauling around my weights anyway and probably don't need more grip training for my lifting purposes. Setting up the weights and storing them, throwing in a walk with them is enough for me.

Anyway I noticed a bulk in my forearms nonetheless, because for increasing mass the grippers may not be optimal.

Plus you should consider this as well:
Antagonistic balance

Just my two swiss francs ;)

Yup. My point, again--not much carryover between crush and closed hand support, which is what lifting will give. Just in response to Dave's comment about powerlifting. There is actually very little carryover between the different grip elements for most people.

I have a set of ironmind's extensor bands, they're quite good.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar_maniac on Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:44 pm

I have two of them! 1, and 1,5 they're ok in my eyes, def better then the ones i sometimes bought at markets.

Lately i've been just doing hanging stuff for my grip, you really can't train thumb with CoC, or with any traditional grippers.
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

http://www.facebook.com/esa.lackstrom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top