PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Reverse grip skullcrushers?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reverse grip skullcrushers?

Post by Guitar_maniac on Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:46 pm

Been reading lately how to get the best out of my triceps. Skullcrushers done with BW seem to hit them pretty good, especially the long head since it feels right over my elbow. But reverse grip activates the medial head pretty good? Has anyone tried doing them with reverse grip? googled it, but found only the barbell versions.
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

http://www.facebook.com/esa.lackstrom

Back to top Go down

Re: Reverse grip skullcrushers?

Post by Dave on Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:41 am

I never think about hitting muscle heads. Until they knock over my water bottle at the gym. ;)
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar_maniac on Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:44 am

:D I see what u did there.

Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:29 am

Probably not the best idea unless you're already an advanced bodybuilder. The resistance you'd have to use would be extremely light.

If you want the 'best' out of your triceps, as with any other muscle-focused exercise, choose something that

1. allows for practical progressive overload (and this means something that won't tear up your elbows, in this case)
2. involves the fullest range of motion possible or some sort of major stretch or contraction
3. focuses most of the work on the primary muscle group you're targeting

PJR pullovers would be one good option to try. Can go heavy-check. Pretty hypoallergenic-check. Stretch-check. Very focused-check.

Heavy band pushdowns could be another. Keep in mind those are both (as well as most other 'focused' exercises) just additions to what you should be focusing on... heavy pressing.
Same rules apply there, by the way. If dips bother your elbows, chest or shoulders they're not a good choice. Something like floor presses, elbow tucked floor press (bb/db/kb), reverse grip bench press, weighted dips or bench press against bands, or close grip swiss bar bench presses would be good primary movements.

And yes, if size is your main goal machines are fine. Preferably the plate loading variety and of similar motions to the big compound movements.

/bored late night post
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:16 am

Ring dips with different body and grip positions. Or simply resistance band pull downs with different grips.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:33 pm

If ring dips are a tricep exercise... you're probably doing something wrong. Or, you have horrendously weak triceps. ymmv, of course, but just in general.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:21 am

Just suggesting ways he can hit his triceps via body weight exercises. The less you lean forward the more the emphasise on the tri. Don't remember stating they was a triceps exercise. The opening statement is " to get the most out of his triceps" again this may be a culture difference but that came across as a superior schooling a minor.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:02 pm

Well, the thread question is 'how to get the most out of my triceps', so the logical (related) response would be to discuss that.

You brought up ring dips--presumably because they'd be an exercise to accomplish that end. I pointed out that they're not a very good triceps exercise, or shouldn't be. Leaning forward does the opposite, btw. Staying more upright will generally emphasize the tricep more. Many weightlifters actually hang any added weight behind them on weighted dips so as to stay as upright as possible and not lean forward and focus on the triceps as much as possible.

If I'm correcting something I just correct it; I don't see the need to sugarcoat anything. When people correct me I don't expect it either.

Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:45 am

Journeyman wrote:Staying more upright will generally emphasize the tricep more.

He knows.

Rix wrote:The less you lean forward the more the emphasise on the tri.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:54 am

:up: cool

I'm just helping out a forum member that is asking one question because they may not know about something else. Therefore I answered through the opening statement rather than being subjected to the topic at hand.

Dips always worked well for my triceps.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:38 am

Dips always blow up my triceps, too, even with a bit of forward lean. But I don't go out of my way to train triceps.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:27 pm

Rix wrote::up: cool

I'm just helping out a forum member that is asking one question because they may not know about something else. Therefore I answered through the opening statement rather than being subjected to the topic at hand.

Dips always worked well for my triceps.

:cheers2:

My bad on the reading.

Dips always 'blow up' my triceps too (if my shoulders and sternum allow it) BUT I don't think any of us would ever be accused of having big arms except by a random sedentary individual. So... yeah.

Either way, the key is sustainable overload, as much as possible, through the greatest ROM possible, with an emphasis on either stretch or contraction, with a movement that throws as much emphasis as possible on the target muscle group, done to a high level of fatigue. Pretty simple.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar_maniac on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:00 pm

Dips never seem to hit my tri's, they feel more on the chest, and at the lowest point, on my shoulders a bit.

I feel a good stretch on my triceps when doing skull crushers, they seem o bit bigger too, now that i've done SC's for about 3 weeks.
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top