PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Friend says long-term ketosis is a good thing for an athlete?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Friend says long-term ketosis is a good thing for an athlete?

Post by Guitar_maniac on Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:08 pm

This guy is lean! But he don't really lift/do any kind of strength training other than what we do at martial arts (few pushups etc). We started talking about nutrition, and he said he was on ketose, been for a long time. He has much more energy etc than he had when he was still eating carbs.

I'm looking strength and size. because of my work, and personal goals, would long-term ketose be useful? My guess is no, since if it would be "stay lean and gain muscle" everyone would be on it all the time?
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

http://www.facebook.com/esa.lackstrom

Back to top Go down

Re: Friend says long-term ketosis is a good thing for an athlete?

Post by Cheesedog on Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:34 am

Ketogenic diets work very well, for SOME people. If your metabolism is suited for it, which you can't really find out without sticking to it for at least a couple of weeks straight. Personally I feel great when in ketosis, but the first couple of days are very trying, until your body runs out of it's stored carbohydrates and starts burning fat all the time. I've been having success this year gaining mass while losing fat on a ketogenic plan. I would recommend, and have been doing, occasional "carb-up" days to keep my metabolism from slowing down. as far as "why doesn't everybody do it" it's just not a traditional diet, so most wouldn't even consider it.
Cheesedog
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar_maniac on Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:45 am

How often do you have carb-up days, and how much carbs?

i'm not really interested in dieting for a while, then going back to "normal", and dieting again. But if i could keep this up i could try and see this.
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:47 pm

It's not.

Like Cheese said it's very individual... and works quite well for some. But 1. carbs are the only energy source your body can process anaerobically, so depending on your sport they are indeed 100% necessary in some form (the reason 'no-carb' cross fitters still need carb loading to complete their high intensity work; and the fighters I worked with last summer needed glucose tablets to do their glycolytic work properly when dieting down for a fight). And, 2. if you want to gain size, cutting out carbs is not the way to go. It's just inefficient to increase total calories while simultaneously cutting out your easiest source for them.

"Staying lean while gaining muscle" isn't going to give you the best of either world, but you'll just have to find a sweet spot (in terms of macro ratios and total calories relative to your training, rest etc.) where you'll put some weight on without a lot of it being excess.

Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

http://affectinggravity.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:49 pm

And, 'he's lean' doesn't mean anything. I recently gained about 10lb, significant for me, while my bf% remained in the single digits. I mainly eat carbs which I wouldn't really advise for most people (it's kind of the opposite extreme from what you're suggesting).
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guitar_maniac on Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:12 pm

Journeyman wrote: 2. if you want to gain size, cutting out carbs is not the way to go. It's just inefficient to increase total calories while simultaneously cutting out your easiest source for them.

That was one point i was asking about him, but then he made a point that fat has 9calories/gram, and carb has 4. and its true. That slightly tipped the scale to his favour in my eyes.
but then again, i don't much about the functions of the body yet, just the basics what fats/pro's and carbs are used for.
Guitar_maniac
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:24 pm

The 'carbs for bulking' comes from a utility standpoint--think of which of the two (generally) you could easily consume/digest/process more of just in terms of bulk. Sure you could snack on whole sticks of butter for your calories but that wouldn't end very well in most cases. So carb sources are simply more convenient. Thus, the 'easiest source' definition comes from practicality.
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Journeyman on Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:38 pm

I can dig up some more detailed stuff later but here are a couple of 'quick and dirty' articles that should make the distinctions more clear (regarding carbs, bulking, leanness, and individualization):

http://www.strengthsensei.com/2-things-i-know-for-sure-about-nutrition-wolfgang-unsold/
http://www.lift-run-bang.com/2011/04/against-current-grain-methods-to-gain.html
Journeyman
Exercise Encyclopedia
Exercise Encyclopedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:51 am

IMO ketosis is excellent for dropping fat. Getting bigger and stronger - not so much.

Like Jman pointed out, response to diets is highly individual and there is no such thing as the "average guy/gal". Some people might achieve the elusive goal of losing fat and gaining muscle on such a keto diet, but odds are you're not one of them.

Then again, you won't know until you try.

The LRB notion of "high carb and high protein with low fat to gain mass - high protein and medium fat with low carbs to lose fat" is something I agree with. The old "bulk and cut" approach is useless to the non-drugged trainee, so don't bother with that, especially if you're a naturally skinny individual.
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheesedog on Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:24 am

Guitar_maniac wrote:How often do you have carb-up days, and how much carbs?

i'm not really interested in dieting for a while, then going back to "normal", and dieting again. But if i could keep this up i could try and see this.

Right now once a week, one or two cheat meals on that day. As far as how many grams of carbs, I don't count them but I would guesstimate 200 grams or so.
Cheesedog
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top