PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

max effort/PRs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

max effort/PRs

Post by Buckyx on Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:30 am

how often do you go for those? I mean mainly max reps for some exercise or going for heaviest single
also how often would you advice to do them and do they have any benefits just knowing your limits? especially going for high endurance

I have some endurance goal and I am not sure if its smart to maxout every 4-6 weeks until I hit my desired numbers or its actually more effective to just train and try once I think I am ready .. also have no experience going for heavy singles, lowest I ever go was 3-4 reps but pistols and HSPU
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Re: max effort/PRs

Post by Rastaman on Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:41 am

As far as HSPU, pistols and  Pullups go, there is no reason why you cant max out more often.  Working sub max sets, GTG, EDT and ladders work well and allow you to recover and train more often and build up good volume before testing your max.  Then again Ive found that  I also plateau at times with this approach and need to work max sets more often.  When talking endurance, with both HeSPU and Pullups to progress beyond the 15 rep range I needed to work 4-5 max sets every day or other day (Fighter Pullups).  For me unless I was fatiguing and pushing through the higher rep ranges more often, I was not progressing.  

There seems to be a big fear of working max sets too regularly, as far as BWE go I think this is crap. Try both approaches until you find out what works  best for you.  Listen to your body as see what works best for you.
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:37 am

should I maxout on exercises that I cant do for many reps? pistols I can do like sets of 3-4 only and cant progress
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:40 pm

Maybe build up your endurance with assisted pistols for high reps.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:28 am

At the end of the training cycle :) 4-6 weeks sounds about right for a 1rm attempt. But amrap could probly be done whenever along as you rest adequately after.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:24 pm

my training cycle is 4 weeks with 1 week deload and then I maxout fresh, no 1RMs yet
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:34 am

What do you think of doing EDT or just higher total volume, 3 times a week? still with aim to increase endurance
3 sets of 15-16 is not optimal, hitting failure early and its kind of low volume

would it work with 2 exercises in the same training? for pull ups and dips
I did EDT like one year ago when my max reps were maybe lower but I was doing twice more volume with that than now

I want to get better working capacity before I start doing something harder
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheesedog on Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:33 am

EDT will build your work capacity to high levels if you push hard.
Cheesedog
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:30 pm

Cheesedog wrote:EDT will build your work capacity to high levels if you push hard.

QFT! Been a while since I really pushed, though.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckyx on Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:40 am

thanks, I'll try EDT with pull ups and dips, split in pulling/pushing done once 3 days + some light work like push ups and rows
Buckyx
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top