PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

New Rules for an Old Dog

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Rules for an Old Dog

Post by CDL2042 on Thu May 14, 2015 8:06 am

So the gym down the street gives the company I work for a great membership deal. My wife and I decide to try it for a year. It's nice because even though I have done other exercises, I haven't lifted weights since college (over 20 years ago). And the gym is close, but they only have one barbell.....but hardly anyone uses it so I don't have to wait. 8)

I got the book New Rules of Lifting. I have read a few books on strength training, bodyweight, kettlebells etc., but I decided on going for this one because it basically had an entire years worth of workouts planned for you. I'm a pretty big guy so I chose the "weight loss" plan. I really don't need to bulk up anymore. So I do alternating workouts A or B for 4-5 weeks, then the workouts change. I let you know how it works out.
CDL2042
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Re: New Rules for an Old Dog

Post by Cheesedog on Sat May 23, 2015 3:15 am

Sorry no one was here to greet your return, I've been busy and the forum been pretty quiet so I guess everyone else is busy too, but it's great to hear from you again. I've heard good things about New Rules of Lifting, it should serve you well.
Cheesedog
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat May 23, 2015 9:58 am

Hey welcome back! Didn't you pick that book up a couple years ago? I seem to remember you mentioning it before.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CDL2042 on Sun May 24, 2015 10:25 pm

My alternating "break-in" workout for weeks 1-4. I have been lifting 3X/week.

A.
SQUATS 2X15
DUMBBELL LUNGE/DUMBBELL ROW 2X15 EACH (ALTERNATING)
PUSHUPS/SWISS BALL CRUNCHES 2X15 (ALTERNATING)

B.
DEADLIFT 2X15
STEP UP LUNGES/ DUMBBELL SHOULDER PRESS 2X15 (ALTERNATING)
CLOSE GRIP PULLDOWN/LEG RAISES 2X15 (ALTERNATING)

I warm up on the elliptical for about 5 minutes before lifting, and finish my workouts doing intervals on the elliptical for 10 minutes (looking to build to 20).

I haven't lifted weights for over 20 years, so I have been taking it pretty light. Plus the sets of 15 make it pretty hard for me to go too heavy. I am usually huffing and puffing after my squats or deadlifts.

I am done with the "break-in" period, and now starting the "fat-loss 2" workouts. I will post more later.

Results? I have only lost about 2 pounds, my wife thinks I have lost more. We both notice more muscle, so probably lost more than 2 pounds of fat and gained a few pounds of muscle. One thing about this program is the lack of bench pressing and curls, and a lot of legs when you consider the lunges are 15 per side. Takes me a little over an hour from the time I enter the gym until I leave.

CDL2042
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Mon May 25, 2015 9:39 am

Nice Work! Welcome back.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Erik on Mon May 25, 2015 7:21 pm

CDL2042 wrote:Results? I have only lost about 2 pounds, my wife thinks I have lost more. We both notice more muscle, so probably lost more than 2 pounds of fat and gained a few pounds of muscle. One thing about this program is the lack of bench pressing and curls, and a lot of legs when you consider the lunges are 15 per side. Takes me a little over an hour from the time I enter the gym until I leave.

Not a bad start at all. Good workouts!

I find a nice thing to measure is waist instead of weight. That way you can see results, even if the pounds are moving around instead of sloughing off.

Erik
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon May 25, 2015 10:57 pm

Definitely a good start!  But I am sure I have heard of this book before and it was associated with you...

CDL2042 wrote:I haven't lifted weights for over 20 years

Am I crazy, then?  Searching.... Aha!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. It was for your son! How did that go?
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CDL2042 on Sun May 31, 2015 11:26 am

How did it go for my son?

Pretty good, although I think when he is at the school the strength coach dictates what program they do. My son finished out his wrestling career at 152 lbs with over 100 varsity wins and a section championship (got a concussion in the 2nd round of the state tournament though :( ). He has had a few college coaches call, but he entered a law enforcement program last year and wants to finish that next year. I tell him to keep his options open.

I also tell him that the average American male is 190 lbs and even though he is a freak at 152 lbs.....well there is a reason why combat sports have weight classes. He is trying to bulk up a little bit. He is not built like me at all.
CDL2042
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun May 31, 2015 2:23 pm

Glad to hear about his successes, too bad about the concussion, though.  So you're worried about him being in LE at a lower weight than most perps, eh? Understandable. Most of the guys I knew in police foundations who were average to below average in size had also prioritized bulking up.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CDL2042 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:47 pm

Still training, almost through the second "phase" of my program. I missed a week, so I am a little behind. I will post details of the workouts shortly for anyone interested.

But I do have a question. My wife and I are approaching our mid 40's, this is the first strength training she has ever done, and I have worked out periodically through the years (but not this hard since high school)......is it normal for us to be absolutely shot at the end of the week? And will it end? Not that I mind, I really enjoy lifting, but I was really not wanting to do anything but lay on the couch yesterday.
CDL2042
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:44 pm

CDL2042 wrote:My wife and I are approaching our mid 40's, this is the first strength training she has ever done, and I have worked out periodically through the years  (but not this hard since high school)......is it normal for us to be absolutely shot at the end of the week? And will it end?

I've been working out pretty consistently for the past 20 years or so, and I'm still absolutely shot at the end of each week. So expect the fun to last :D
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by CDL2042 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:13 am

My alternating "Fat Loss II" workouts I have been doing for the last month or so. I am supposed to do each workout 6X before moving on to the next stage.

A.
SQUATS 3x12
WIDE GRIP SEATED CABLE ROW 3X12 (ALTERNATING)

SWISS BALL HIP EXTENSION W/CURL 3X12
MILITARY PRESS 3X12 (ALTERNATING)

DUMBBELL LUNGES 3X12
UPPER BODY RUSSIAN TWIST 3X12 (ALTERNATING)

B.
SNATCH GRIP DEADLIFT 3X12
T-PUSH UPS 3X12 (ALTERNATING)

BULGARIAN SPLIT SQUAT 3X12
ASSISTED CHIN UP 3X12 (ALTERNATING)

BENT OVER ROW 3X12
LOWER BODY RUSSIAN TWIST 3X12 (ALTERNATING)

Still warming up for about 5 minutes on the eliptical and ending with about 11-12 minutes on the eliptical. At the end I do a couple minute long "sprints" during my eliptical workout. I am trying to keep the entire workout under an hour, so I feel like I have to keep moving to accomplish that.

When I started lifting I think my back was a little out of alignment because it would really stiffen up after my deadlift workout. Then one day it just went out completely. Went to the chiropracter 1 time and he straightened me out and told me to keep lifting. It has been pretty good since. I am starting to increase the weights a little bit, but still taking it pretty slow. I am just starting to feel comfortable squatting, but I feel my deadlift has a ways to go. Those seem to be the 2 main lifts in this program.
CDL2042
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by CDL2042 on Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:36 pm

Completed "Fat Loss II", have been doing "Fat Loss III" for the last 3 workouts. Similar alternating A+B workouts, but different reps. I am starting to feel comfortable with the main lifts (squats, deadlifts) so I am starting to add some weight, but I am still going pretty light. I have looked ahead and once the reps go down for the next phase of my program I should be able to add more weight again.

FL3A

SUPERSETS

Deadlifts 4x10 #185
Pushups 4x10
Bulgarian Lunges 4x10 each leg #40 dumbbells
Dumbell row 4x10 each arm #40 dumbbells

SUPERSETS
Snatch grip deadlift 2x20 #145
Dumbell bench press 2x20 #50 dumbbells
Twisting lunges 2x20 each leg #40 dumbbells
Seated cable row 2x20 #200

FINISHER
Hanging leg raises 2x10

It seems like a lot, thankfully I only have to do this 4 more times before moving on. My workouts are running about 1hr 15min now including 5 minutes before and 10 minutes after on the elliptical. Oh yeah...I don't always complete every lift in the second superset. Too tired.

I will be posting FL3B shortly.
CDL2042
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by CDL2042 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:09 am

Still lifting but the last couple months it seems like my thighs are sore 24/7. I even took 2 weeks off and they are still sore every day. Anyone else have this?
CDL2042
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheesedog on Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:11 am

Do you do any foam rolling and mobility work? Sometimes I get that "permanently achy" feeling somewhere and the combination of the two usually gets things feeling better.
Cheesedog
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by CDL2042 on Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:26 pm

Had to take a few weeks off and rethink my training. I enjoy lifting probably more than any other form of exercise, BUT I have always said nothing takes away strength more than pain. So I had to ditch my year long plan. I was looking ahead in the book and my next series involved a lot of Bench Press and Lunges. Both of which cause me too much pain to do, so I am kind of in limbo here.

This is my current work out.

Dead lift 3x10 (205lbs)
Pushup or Military press 3x10 (135lbs)

Pulldowns 3x15 (200lbs)
Curls 3x10 (80lbs)

Goblet squats 3x10 (80lb dumbbell)
Crunches or leg raises (3x15)

I would like to lift 2x a week and do something else 1x a week. Something preventative or corrective. Things that seem to do this body good are back bridges, kettlebell get ups, and some flexibility.

Old injuries that I am trying to keep under control. Torn rotator cuff, fractured vertabrae, herniated disc. New pains include constant tightness in thighs and groin.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

CDL2042
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by CDL2042 on Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:27 pm

Also I quit the elliptical training for a while until I get my leg pain figured out.
CDL2042
Experienced
Experienced

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheesedog on Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:07 am

Wow, you've got some problems. The only things I can think of, besides seeing a chiropractor or PT would be some of the things you already mentioned, like bridges, getups, and lots of flexibility/mobility work. Also some SMR or foam rolling.
Cheesedog
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:44 am

Rich is right, your leg pain sounds a lot like tight hip flexors, so bridge away!  And lots of karate class style stretching, prepping your legs to transfer power at obtuse angles.

I highly recommend the first move as a great platform from which to work functional mobility, used in nearly all of my movement snacks. I like this stance, it has taught me much about my center of gravity. Play around in this stance a lot to increase your starting strength and flexibility. Encourage your limbs to explore their range of motion to build flexibility in your back and pectorals.

Walk briskly, bracing your self for periods of measured time. See how many strides you can manage before feeling pain, or the muscles' lack of endurance to protect your spine. Work to improve it measurably over time. Become stronger and more aggressive in the power of your contractions and the number of muscles you bring into each brace. Start with your trunk, and work your way up. Try to eventually include every muscle in your body with good posture and muscular control, without causing pain. This is dynamic tension. Once you can use it while walking, begin using it in that above movement used in tai chi, and your limb explorations.

I think this would do you more good than lifting will. But you could use this as a warm up before lifting.

And consider the floor press as an alternative to the bench press. You don't have to hold the stretch reflex and risk injury. You can reset your muscles on every rep, and ditch the bar safely toward your feet in an emergency. Because you reset every rep, you can build tension from scratch, until all the slack is removed and the muscles reach maximum static tension. This process gives you a safe zone in which to detect any shoulder issues that might occur during a rep and abort before there is an injury. I also mean to include some floor pressing in my visits to the rec room.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top