PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

From a rough and rugged foundation

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

From a rough and rugged foundation

Post by Dave on Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:57 am

This is my new exercise log.  Just gonna keep on keepin' on.

Here's a quick analysis of today vs January 1st 2015:

I'll be 34 this year and I don't have any serious niggles yet, except that I can't seem to do fixed bar pullups with any degree of volume without causing my right elbow to complain.  I sustained a few injuries in 2012/2013, mostly involving parkour jumping, and those haven't bothered me in a while.  I did, however, get injured a few times in 2014, despite my goal to not get injured.  As of right now, though, everything feels good, though I am sorely lacking in conditioning.

No injuries of any significance.  No niggles, except infrequent floating pain/disomfort, usually brought on by too much sitting.  Conditioning is not bad.  Strength is about the same.

My long term aspirations are to deadlift 600 pounds, squat 500, and clean 315.  I believe I can reach them, but I am going to let patience and safety be my companions on the journey.  Also, I have identified a pattern in my training life: I train most consistently and effectively when I have at least a 15' x 15' space to do it in, in which I can drop my barbell from overhead without worrying about damaging anything.  This will reflect on my goals.

I just want to maintain the ability to deadlift 400 pounds.  That's all I want or need.  If I get the progression bug, so be it, but I reserve the right to maintain indefinitely.

2015 Goals
I intend to get a job in a hospital MDRD, so I can afford to move into a place that as perfectly suits my training preferences as possible.  It may be in the city I live in now or it may be in my hometown, or somewhere completely different.  It all depends on when and where the first opening appears.

It's been over a year since I spent the money, took the course and certified, and I don't even remember the material, despite scoring highly (92%) on the Kingston General Hospital pre-interview test.  I am back in my home town, making a fair bit less as tech support than I would in a hospital, but I am consistently in the first quartile and making big bonuses, plus earning a higher hourly wage than I ever have before.  Add to that my side businesses (knife and tool sharpening, personal training) and the difference becomes negligible.  MDRD?  What MDRD?  I have lost interest.

For the meantime, I think it's best for me to plan to rebuild my training consistency with BWEs, hindu pushups, hindu squats, pistols, bridges and pullups.  My conditioning was never better than when I was able to do 300 hindu squats without stopping, so there might be an implicit goal in that.  Barbell training will also take place as needed to keep my strength levels on a steady, if not rapid, incline.  Olympic lifting will be done in earnest once again when I have a place where I feel like I can just throw the barbell across the room with impunity.

My training space is just not good enough or big enough for Olympic lifting.  And that is really, really, really unfortunate.  But when I open the fridge, there is food in it and when I am tired, I sleep in a bed.  Far more than I deserve, when so many in the world deserve so much more than they have. Besides, when the weather is nice, I will be able to take the barbell outside, if I so choose.

As far as specific strength goals for the year, I would like to deadlift 475 (max now is 425).  Squat, at least 365 (from 325).  And I'd like to clean 275 (from 245).

Why did I care about these things?  They are meaningless.  I don't need them.  I will not chase them.  I obviously didn't want them enough to chase them before, and I certainly don't now.  And that is a load off my chest.

What are my goals, then?

To conquer the 48 kg kettlebell in the following movements: Snatch, C&J, bent press, Turkish get up, and strict press, probably in that order.  Time frame?  Who knows?  Work in progress (once I get the KB, that is). And the strict press will be by far the hardest one, and probably take me 20 years. So be it.

Beyond that, time will tell.  I might make a serious go at progressing in HeSPUs, or I might not.  It really depends on how much I enjoy training them this time around.
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: From a rough and rugged foundation

Post by ccheatum on Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:53 am

Dave, that summary is filled with perspective. Good for you, and best wishes for a successful and happy new year!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:51 pm

subbed
:popcorn:
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:09 pm

Thanks Chris!

Once I start working with the big bell, I'm sure I will be able to start nailing down goal time lines.

Also, I will work conditioning using the info Rasta has been providing, re: HR monitor and the Maffetone protocol. It just seems to make sense. I'll probably bring this into my personal training as well, once I have personal experience and a better understanding of it.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:06 pm

re: HR monitor and the Maffetone?
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:06 pm

Read the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Last edited by Dave on Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added link)
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:19 pm

I will
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheesedog on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:43 am

That's some good thinking Dave. I foresee some fine gains this year!
Cheesedog
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:41 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence Cheese!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:54 am

Dave wrote:Read the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
Dave and Cesar, if your interested in this article take a look at Al's PT  Manual (Physical Culture Training).  Just finished reading, great info and definitely one of the best physical training manuals I've read.  See Jmans review.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:12 am

Sold!  I'll have to come back to this thought.

Tonight I got my 20 rounds in and managed what seemed like double my performance from the workout before AND I did them EMOTM (with a couple late starts).  I managed 10 pullups and 4 HeSPUs (with 3 small plates under my head) as training maxes today.  I also switched to towel pullups on the second round and going forward.  Reps never made it over 3, and I hung as much as I could tolarate while constantly pulling my feet up.

And I made a new knife.  Did more with the files and sanding sponges than with the dremel this time.  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Blade: 6"
Overall: 11"
Steel: 9Cr14MoV, stonewash finish
Blade Thickness: 4.7 mm
Handle Scales: G10, screw construction, not quite finished. That's as far as I got tonight.  I will refine them some more, and possibly shape the butt into a glass breaker.  Hair popping sharp, and 3/16" thick, this is a literal sharpened prybar.

Still not quite set up to make sheaths, but soon.  A few weeks at most, hopefully.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:29 am

Excellent work with your training and knife! Keep up the good work!
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:31 am

Dave, solid workout! At least as importantly, that knife is another excellent piece of craftsmanship. I remain a fan!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:35 pm

Thanks guys!

I forgot to mention that last night before I started work on the knife, I also did kettlebell work using the 36 and the 60. Cleans, some swing, and strict presses with double KBs (altrernating sides of course). Then bottoms up bent presses with the 36 pounder.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Gaining proficiency!
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:54 am

I started up with 4/4 pullups, neutral grip legs back, then the same with legs forward.  8 reps from start to finish, and it should have been lower than that.  Sometimes in order to live up to my stated choice of EMOTM, I had to admit to myself it wasn't the right protocol for my low ability with these movements.

Regaining proficiency.  And certainly improving, as I eliminate the glitches in my movement (oops, sitting too long again!). 

So yes, Cesar, back to the kettlebells I go!  (Quietly for a few minutes, anyway)
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:31 am

Laddered from one double kb clean, then front squat x 1/1 up to x 6/6, alternating the 60 and 35 pound kettlebells between hands each rounds.

And the rest of my work which I neglected to mention, consisted of more of the same types of pulling with the towel, though I am allowing myself to toy with the arched back in the handstand and vary the angle of my legs, which I realize now was always a crippling fear for me.  I never really learned how to control my bodyweight upside down because I was always too rigid in the core, never experimenting outside of a perfect groove.  I really have to rely on the wall for a while until I learn to not fall over.  And then I really need to get outside.  Long term project.  Before that I need to get to bed!  Have a good one everybody!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:45 am

I missed it.  Busy day today and didn't make time for it before it was too late.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:20 am

*EMOTM**L-Sit Towel Pullups**Against the Wall HeSPUs*
Round 13
Round 21 + headstand work
Round 33
Round 41 + f
Round 53
Round 6f + headstand work
Round 73
Round 8 0 + headstand work
Round 9 3
Round 100 + headstand work
Round 114
Round 121 + headstand work
Round 135
Round 141 + headstand work
Round 155
Round 160 + headstand work
Round 172
Round 180 + + headstand work
Round 195
Round 20f + headstand work
I reduced the elevation to two small plates, and focused on recovery throughout.  The towel pullups were each done from a dead hang, in L-sit position by necessity.  Might as well try and make the most of this challenge.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:35 am

Concerning log titles, the rough part in mine means "not sophisticated, polished, or elegant".  And had I known when I was 14 the kind of alacrity and ruggedness that exercise would bestow on me later in life, I wouldn't have waited, but started right away in the school gym.  If only I'd had the smarts to listen to Mr. O'Neill when he beckoned me to the weight room; I never even really considered it.  Oh hindsight.  But better late than never.  That's what my log title means.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:49 am

I like the log title and your right, better late then never!

I wish I had of started earlier in life as well.  Watching my 5 year old do a full lockout bridge after only a handful of attempts... Hopefully he's not thinking the same thing at 40 :D

Solid work on the Push Pull Dave.  Making good progress on the HeSPU's. "Towel / L-Sit Pullups", beastly combination :twisted:
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:58 am

Nice work on the challenge. That combination of exercises is tough!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:24 pm

Thanks guys.  And yeah, I am finding a balance.  I can't go full out on these exercises, especially right to of the gate, or I just won't be able to finish the 20 minutes.  But I'm excited to continue and see how far I can come in these next three and a half weeks!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:19 am

Saturday night special

15 Rounds tonight, but I really pushed to get them in, so I counted it for the challenge.

L-Sit pullups x 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 4, 6
Alternated EMOTM with
HeSPUs x 3, 3, 3, 1, 1 + f, 0 + hw, 1 + hw
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheesedog on Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:36 am

Dave wrote:
*EMOTM**L-Sit Towel Pullups**Against the Wall HeSPUs*
Round 13
Round 21 + headstand work
Round 33
Round 41 + f
Round 53
Round 6f + headstand work
Round 73
Round 8 0 + headstand work
Round 9 3
Round 100 + headstand work
Round 114
Round 121 + headstand work
Round 135
Round 141 + headstand work
Round 155
Round 160 + headstand work
Round 172
Round 180 + + headstand work
Round 195
Round 20f + headstand work
I reduced the elevation to two small plates, and focused on recovery throughout.  The towel pullups were each done from a dead hang, in L-sit position by necessity.  Might as well try and make the most of this challenge.

Wow, tough one. Excellent work :hatsoff:
Cheesedog
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:03 am

15 Rounds tonight, but I really pushed to get them in, so I counted it for the challenge.

You showed up and pushed yourself hard. You did what you planned to do but listened to your body when it said "enough." Those were the criteria we laid out on the challenge, so that workout definitely counts in my book!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:12 am

:^:  x 2.

15 Rounds is a solid workout.  Staying consistent Dave... there will be some great strength gains by the end of the Challenge!
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:26 pm

Thanks Chris and Chris!  But what I meant by pushing to get it in was that the instant I finished work (11:30) I bolt out of the building and rode hard to get home so I could try and get the work in before it switched over to Sunday. I am trying to turn over a new leaf that involves not using the Lord's day for commerce, or for exhausting or servile work.  Trying to be an obedient old school Catholic.  And by old school, I mean to party like it's 1869.  :)
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:15 pm

Almost to the point where I would not be embarrassed to show my take on a bottoms up bent press.  Other than the modified form due to low ceilings; I can't really be embarrassed about that.

Anyway, I did a few tonight in a movement snack (not a workout, but just play, to unwind).  The seem to ease the tension from HeSPUs. Bent presses and windmills, that is.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:18 pm

How far apart are your hands with the HeSPU's?

Your making good progress, but just an idea that worked for me.  Try the HeSPU's with a wide (outside shoulder width) spacing.  It reduces the ROM anyway and might give you multiple reps to play with and work more volume.  Then start moving the hands closer to shoulder width.  Bit of variety anyway.

Your probably doing this already though   :D
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:02 am

Yeah, that's about my width. I'm gradually introducing variety in my stance and the movements of my legs and torso as I go.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

New knife update

Post by Dave on Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:07 am

I have just completed my fourth custom knife.  I designed this one specifically for use as a small EDC fixed blade, and it is comfortably usable ambidextrously, but is more comfortable left handed, as I was making it for myself.

Blade: Damascus (1095/14N20), 3 1/4"
Handle:  Polished black, green, and tan G10, also 3 1/4"

I believe I finally figured out how to make a good knife.  Just make it like it's for me!  Here is a pic of it, held by my friend Bill, for whom I am shortly making a fish knife.  Also pictured at the top is the ebay photograph of the blade blank as it was before I worked on it.  Note the longer handle and lack of sharpening choil in the blank.  You'll also see I deepened the finger choil; I felt that my hand was being kept too far back from the working part of the blade.  This knife is for detail work and work in small spaces.

I call it the DMC 3 (David Mary Custom 3").  It might be for sale, but with it the buyer will be getting a few of my tears.  :laugh1: Can't wait for my kydex to arrive so I can start making sheaths and selling in earnest. :goody:

Also, I learned a few things doing this one that I can go back and apply to the ones I've made already, to enhance their look and/or function.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:02 am

Could always try kipping HeSPU to overload... and yes, im alive
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:42 am

Love the new blade!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:54 pm

Thanks CC!  Rix!  Welcome back!

I missed pullup/HeSPU training the night I made the knife, but I did kettlebells.  And traine the L-Sit pullup/HeSPUs last night.  Short on time now, so details will have to wait.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:53 pm

A little inspiration for you Dave,
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:18 pm

Thanks Bill! I'm at work right now, so this will have to wait. But I forgot to mention my first order of kydex came in and I made my first run of sheaths last night. I am still waiting for my rivets and rivet punch to arrive, but was able to mold and shape the kydex, drill the holes and attach belt clips to test them out.

I made them too tight. Next time when I mold the kydex onto the blade, the blade will be wrapped in masking tape to add a little thickness so when it is removed, the blade will fit with a little wiggle room. As it is, one of my knives is getting scratched every extraction. Live and learn!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:04 pm

Last night and this afternoon, L-Sit pullups and HeSPUs. Managed to hit 3 pullups each round, and 3, 2, 2, 1, 1 on HeSPUs, still using 2 small plates and some matting for elevation. Felt pretty strong today. Also did handstand work on rounds after failure or after hitting a satisfactory number of reps. My right pinkie finger is just crushed from the towel pullups right now. This is good.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ccheatum on Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:28 pm

Nice work, Dave! Those are some demanding workouts, and you are showing good progress!
ccheatum

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:38 pm

Thanks Chris!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:55 am

So here is what I am doing in my "+ headstand work"

Sometimes just a max hold.  Sometimes just learning the positions.  Trying to get a good feel for arching my back, because the lower center of gravity just feels more right, balance-wise, but is hard on my anterior chain and I just fold up after ... well longer now, than before.  :)

My EMOTMs are not intense all the time, or most of the time.  Once I fatigue, I switch to assistance exercises, like tripod extensions, for lack of their name.

This Yesterday afternoon, I started off strong (for me) with 3 HeSPUs , and kipping never occurred to me until they started to become a grind.  Rix, your advice popped into my head right there and took me a few reps further.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:01 am

:) happy to help. I like kipping to get volume in. I did 100 hespu last weekend all kipping. 10x10. Wall walks also help with my handstands.

Try this. 2-3 handstand wall walks emom for 5 mins. It's killer.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:43 pm

I'll try it!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:36 pm

Last night's Challenge work consisted of:

RoundL-Sit PullupsHead/handstand work
2"
4"
53+2 pronated
6"
73 pronated
8"
93 kneeling pullups
10"
113 held on longer
12"
134 ng
14"
154 + 3
16"
18"
191 + 3
20"
Last night's Challenge work consisted of:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:46 pm

Kettlebell Clean and Jerk
48 kg x 1/1

Yes. It has begun.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:50 pm

Bill, I have a hard enough time drilling stainless steel, Diresta's got his own machine shop!  I am acquiring as I go, though.  I have two new knives in the works, and material for four more on the way.  I only have two orders right now, but the more I make, the more experience I gain and the more I'll have to sell come farmer's market time, which I believe will be my venue of choice.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:51 am

First, the beast. That's all I got to say. 

Next, farmers markets prime location. We have a metal smith that goes to our local market but no knives. Sad sad
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:41 am

That's how I usually feel as well. I like modern stainless steel pocket knives because they have shown me performance I never would have imagined as a kid seeing this or that wise old fellow's old hunting knife from yonder back a spell. But they are hard to find for a good price.

Felt I could pace it well enough to log on the fly, and I was right. To get the chronology, zip zag between the two exercises every comma. :-)

L-Sit towel Pullup x 2, 2, x 3 knotted from hereon out, 3+2, 3 leaving some in the tank, 3, 2 deliberately easing off these, 2, 2, 2.

Headstand Press x 1, 1 kipped, 1, f, epic overload kip! and stretch, another kip and hold this time, failed kip :( , failed again, tripod extensions x 5, tripod extension and some hip mobility x 1, and 1 again of this in the next and last round.

Knotted towel pullups are much easier on the grip and more natural in the hand for me, as they fill it better.

Don't remember off hand if I mentioned it but I tried the wall walks in one of my last workouts and they were a welcome experience. I didn't feel equipped for them today, though, not after hoisting the beast.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:03 pm

I was pretty excited to C&J the 48 kg, but when I think about it, I can already C&J a barbell twice as heavy...   But I will say the thickness of the grip on this thing is clearly going to be a challenge and build some big time gripping strength.  Bent press is going to be quite a chore to work up to also. I think I will have to get floor pressing too. I smell a KB related February Challenge for me!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:06 am

Okay so I windmilled it on the right, and failed on the left.  Not an epic fail, but if I pushed any farther it would have been.  I just caught it with my other hand and set it back down like a good boy.  Oh and I C&Jed it another few times today, GTG style.   Fun!

And I just emailed Ciampa for his manual.  Thanks for the suggestion Chris and Aris.

Update pending on my January challenge work for today.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top