PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

From a rough and rugged foundation

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: From a rough and rugged foundation

Post by Dave on Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:16 am

Training
Put on the Polar FT7

Warm up, consisting of 10-20 power breaths, and some kali warm up for enough time to get the heart rate up around the 140-150 mark for a while, peaking at 158 before I flatlined.  Or the watch did.  Or the transmitter did.

I have been typing too long actually... My interest in this watch and its feedback effects on my development has not ceased.  I'm ready, at least mentally.  But the watch alas is not.  Or rather, my body, probably too dry.  I've been on minimal intake mode for long enough that it seems hard to switch back.  I loaded up on chicken sandwiches today with apparently not enough water intake.

Remedying that.

But I was surviving on less food.  And now the engine needs another boost.  Did some breathing exercises but held back for some reason, though I made it six cycles/rounds or so.  Retried the same exercise again, but this time was not held back and saw some interesting results.  I have been feeling unready to try it again so soon, at least not to a large number of rounds.  Power breathing takes a lot out of my throat it seems.  Dries me out fast.  Makes me hungry, too.

Anyway, more work to do, so back to it...
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:14 am

The power breathing is hard on the throat, I need to swallow  and moisten up the throat again during the breath holds, seems to help.  During it in the shower is alot easier to keep the throat wet.
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:47 am

Another option I will try as well as better hydration (after I do my groceries!) is getting back up on my fat levels and creatine.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:49 am

Haven't devoted the money to groceries since Lent to get me really training yet, but I'm not sweating it.  :laugh1:

Lots of movement snacks, as always, though, a continually integrated part of my daily life alter (before) Lent.  Periodic outdoor workouts are what I really want, on non-chemtrail days.  My workout the other day was great me stiff or sore for two and a half days.  I dread the notion of bearhug carries, which seem to want to make me puke.  I never let it get that far... by not doing them. I'll try again.  I am still on the hunt for the perfect pair of pants in which I can load my pockets, and still fully extend a high side kick.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:23 pm

My (new) girlfriend and I did some loaded carries yesterday, I with my 132 pound sand bag and her with my 20 pound weight vest.  Just in the back yard, up and down the hill. We did some striking and kicking on the wavemaster as well.

then last night I deadlifted, up to a single with 365.  Felt heavy.  Felt good, though.

Lots of kali movement snacks, too.  :nunchaku:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:55 am

Good to see the new girlfriend has an interest in training mate.  You'll be "Girlfriend loaded carries" soon!
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:50 pm

Exercise of opportunity. That should be my log title, probably.

Dips x 25 x 4
Deadlift 365 x 1
Deadlift 315 x 3
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:25 pm

Dips x 80
Pullups x 40
SnG DLs x 10, up to 275
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:24 pm

Another 50 dips last night and 5 deadlifts today with 275

I'll be getting outside with the big bell soon
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:17 pm

Big bell :D

Should give the WOD Diana ago dave. Seems like a wod you would enjoy
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:29 pm

It's beyond my abilities
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Circuit { Snatch 135# x 1 > Dips x 10 > Pullups x 5 } x 5
Circuit { C&J 185# x 1 > Dips x 10 > Pullups x 5 } x 1
Circuit { C&J 205# x 1 > Dips x 10 > Pullups x 5 } x 1
Slow TGU @ 60# x 1/1
Barbell rack carry @ 205 x 1

Just about 30 minutes
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:31 pm

Nice work dave :)
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:48 pm

Snatches and C&J Awesome! Rack carry? How far?
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheesedog on Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:48 am

Great workout!
Cheesedog
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:36 am

Thanks guys!

Brahma Bill wrote:Snatches and C&J Awesome! Rack carry? How far?

Haha, just maybe 50 feet from the front yard, down the treacherously narrow side yard, (which is also downhill some  :facepalm: ) into the back yard, then sideways through the open sliding door and right onto my squat rack!  I was a huffin' and a puffin' by then!  It took me about four of five tries to clean it before I could get going, at that point, and I thought I might dump it a time or two, but managed to hold on to the end.  I could have just unloaded the plates and brought them in two at a time, and then the barbell, but that would have taken more than one trip, and I was feeling ... um...  "lazy"?  :twisted: :laugh1:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:18 pm

My new girlfriend is now my new ex-girlfriend. She represented herself as something she is not. I cut her loose.

I am okay.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheesedog on Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:31 am

Lots of other fish in the sea Dave. Although I don't know why anyone would want to date a fish. :scratch:
Cheesedog
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:29 pm

On to the next one. Throw a kettlebell into the street. First female that swings it back to you, date her!
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Sun May 01, 2016 9:32 pm

Thought you'd like this one Dave
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue May 03, 2016 1:29 am

It gets a thumbs up over here!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu May 05, 2016 12:47 am

Very little training other than some maintenance and showing off.  I can alternate hands on beast 1 hand swings now, and perform some basic kettlebell juggling moves with it.  It feels kinda epic. :loopy:

Last edited by Dave on Sat May 07, 2016 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I know I ain't no thing.)
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat May 07, 2016 2:57 am

I forgot to mention my sandbag fu the night before.  Nothing challenge worthy, but just getting a feel for it again.  Still pretty comfortable with it, but my shoulder was not properly warmed up at some point, and I have been nursing it back to health.  

I felt ready for something a little more intense tonight, so I did and extended warm up of skipping rope and martial arts before windmilling the beast after lighter warm up sets, including swings, these being chief among the endorphin bringers tonight.  Actually that honor almost went to windmills.

Irregularity follows me. Schédule, schédule, me n'incrédule!  I realize that this irregularity keeps me from excelling as I would like in any one area, but triage is what it is.  And probably not the optimally executed triage, at that.  But hey, I get to enjoy my creative side, and today I was out in the sun breathing and meditating.  Happy.

And in knife making, I realize that some of my previous work was not up to yet "custom knife maker level", so I pulled down a bunch of pics from my log, but I'm feeling positive about some tricks I have learned along the way, and keeping things simple is nothing to be ashamed of.

This knife is a David Mary Custom, the Push Forward. It's design and purpose is as a wrist saver, to move the blade effortlessly forward through material, making precise and efficient work of daily cutting tasks.  It works well, I am pleased to say.  :mrgreen:

Here it is from concept art to finished product. In the bottom picture, it is shown with much more well know semi custom knife the Ratmandu.  Mine is the red one, theirs is the orange one.  I finally feel like I can make a consistent and quality product, as long as I stick within a certain niche. A sword is not happening any time soon, I don't think, but maybe some day, I will forge my own steel, even.  But that is dreaming, at least right now.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And here is level two.  I want it perfect.

Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat May 07, 2016 3:12 am

I went to resharpen, but the edge is still smooth as glass and shaves arm hair!  Victory!

...but I'm resharpening any way. Edge obsessed? :oops:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat May 14, 2016 6:47 pm

Nothing. I don't care.  I can do without it.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun May 15, 2016 2:27 am

There was some today.  It was good.  Just walking home, and changing directions and such.  A few deliberate pullups on a bar in the street.  Maintenance mode; while other things take greater precedence for me, I keep what I've got, and still learn new tricks along the way.  I don't need to be superhuman.  And freeing my mind from thinking about the opposite sex, for my sanity.  Or trying to.  Thirty-five years, and never met a woman up to God's standards yet.

Why so quiet everybody?  Did the way I handled my knife at the end of the clip freak you out?  Worried if you reply in my thread you'll get shanked?  :no:

Why do I make and carry knives? I like them. They are eminently useful tools in a wide variety of situations. And they are often works of art, and simply beautiful!

Most knives I make are NOT weapons, and that ones that are have only two legitimate uses. The first is to be used in the hands of soldiers or peace officers commissioned by lawful authorities for the protection of the public. The second is as a weapon of opportunity in a case where an individual legitimately perceives a threat of death or grievous bodily harm to the individual or others who are being unjustly attacked.  But it should not be carried (in Canada) for that purpose.

But it is illegal in Canada to carry a knife or any weapon for self defense purposes; don't do it! If you really want to carry something for self defense, make sure it is NOT a weapon. According to the Criminal Code of Canada, "weapon" means any thing used, designed to be used or intended for use in causing death or injury to any person, or for the purpose of threatening or intimidating any person.

Therefore the only items that can be legally carried for self defense (in Canada) are DEFENSIVE items. A flashlight is the first and best choice of a self defense item, as it is capable of distracting and disorienting a would be attacker so you can get away, without making a bloody mess or ending someone's life.

That being said, the law in Canada does recognize that everyone has the right to life, and so does indeed recognize the legitimate use of force, even lethal force, in protecting innocent life from unjust attack, if the force used is reasonable and proportional to the attack, and there were no other options. But carry a flashlight, because do you really want the PTSD and nightmares that will come from opening another human being's flesh, even if it is done to save your own life? Don't save your life by ruining it.

And regardless of what any man made statute says (I believe some state laws allow you to shoot at attackers even as they are fleeing), it is immoral to intentionally inflict death on anyone, even one who is trying to kill you. The only intention you may lawfully have (before God) is to stop the attack.  There are two notable exceptions to this precept, however.

First, a legitimate authority may pass lawfully down a sentence of death to one who has forfeited his right to life by a terrible crime, and the executioner may carry out the sentence.  Even here, there must be sufficient time between the sentence and the execution to allow time to for the criminal to come to contrition for the crime, and be saved from his sin.  We ought to with neither death, nor hell upon anyone, and saying "go to hell", even as a joke is a terrible thing to do before man and God.

Also, soldiers are permitted and obligated to intend the deaths of enemy combatants, though for them to be free from guilt, the war must be a just war. One is not able to kill with impunity under evil leaders who give obviously evil orders.

Outside of these situations, if it so happens that the only way to stop the unjust attack is by repelling it with lethal force, then prepare for your actions to be judged by God and man, and pray they be found to have been necessary by both. May we never be found in such a situation.

If you do carry a knife (in Canada), expect most people to assume it is a weapon for self defense, and always be prepared to explain it is NOT. The last thing you need is a freaked out person needlessly calling the cops and ruining your afternoon, day, week or year. And to that end, there is no need to carry a "fighting knife" as your cutting tool of choice. Because some knives really are designed with only one purpose in mind, and that purpose is against the laws of Canada, though definitely not the laws of God and the laws of nature created by God.

The only self defense tool I carry is a Fenix PD35 flashlight. But I can be counted on to be carrying a fixed blade of my own making and at least one folding knife (usually a Cold Steel Tuff Lite) for various every day tasks, such as slicing apples, opening packages, scraping debris or soil off of fabric, cutting loose threads, trimming my nails, craft making, etc. I also carry a Rosary, a lighter, a cellphone, a wallet and pen.  If I lived in the US, I might carry a Glock, but with prudence, sobriety and humility, knowing that the lives of others are in my hands.  A convenience store clerk jumping over the counter to shoot at fleeing felons is attempted murder.  Shooting in public.  Terrifying.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Mon May 16, 2016 8:59 pm

Dave wrote: Thirty-five years, and never met a woman up to God's standards yet.
Good luck with that! :D
Maybe you should try finding one you can be best friends with. That worked for me.

I haven't been training/posting because I've been working like a crazy man. Long days, but the increased work load and abundant business is a blessing
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Tue May 17, 2016 2:11 pm

Dave wrote:The only self defense tool I carry is a Fenix PD35 flashlight.

Recently I've been thinking about getting one of these:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

But the price tag's putting me off :D
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue May 17, 2016 8:14 pm

Best friends first, yes indeed Bill! That is my outlook, now.

Fatman, thanks for reminding me! I have had one of these on my radar for some time now, and I think the time is ripe, especially since they have added refinements to their original design.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:27 pm

Haphazrd exercise lately. Last night I did front squats, felt pretty awesome. Didn't go for records, just went for intensity. Today at lunch, 52 pullups in 10 minutes.

Unbreakable umbrella came in the mail today. It's pretty awesome. I just need to rig something up where it will attach to my backpack for bicycle commuting.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:04 pm

Dave wrote:Haphazrd exercise lately.  Last night I did front squats, felt pretty awesome.  Didn't go for records, just went for intensity.  Today at lunch, 52 pullups in 10 minutes.

Unbreakable umbrella came in the mail today.  It's pretty awesome.  I just need to rig something up where it will attach to my backpack for bicycle commuting.
I pity the dog that chases that bike! :jedi:
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:23 am

LOL!!! They never catch me anyway. :mrgreen:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:11 am

Pullups in 10:00 x 48

Slowed down today compared to yesterday, but may also have to do with the fact that I started by doing a set of 8, then a set of 4 shortly after.  Then a few sets of doubles, then single pulls, single pulls, singles all the way.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatman on Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:33 pm

Dave wrote:Unbreakable umbrella came in the mail today.  It's pretty awesome.  I just need to rig something up where it will attach to my backpack for bicycle commuting.

Which one did you get?
Fatman
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:34 pm

This one:

As an umbrella it is a thing of beauty. The ribs do not expand unless the runner moves up the shaft, and vice versa.  This means it will never even partially deploy unless you first un-velcro it.  Then to close it up again, there is no top spring to worry about; you just grab the runner and pull the umbrella closed.  Very simple operation, even for an umbrella.  And it supports my entire bodyweight if place it on two chairs and stand on it.  What's not to love?  :raining:
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:41 am

Okay, so since the last time I posted, I have moved to another basement apartment, as a temp thing until Oct 1st.  On that date I plan to move into a house to myself, using the basement as a knife making shop (God willing).  Have the house lined up already.

My website is almost up and my Etsy shop is up, up and away, to complement my Facebook page.

As for training, well I have purchased an elevation training mask (Rix!) and have been wearing it on parts of my ride to work and most of my rides home from work.  My abs are becoming harder than ever from breathing with that thing on, and my cario on the bike is actually better than it has ever been, after less than 3 weeks using this thing a few times a week.

I have also used it for 10 x 10 swings with 100 pounds (keeping heart rate under 145 by the aid of my Polar FT7), and it is a blast!  Still haven't been doing much in the way of heavy lifting, but I've been right into crawls and martial arts drills.  I will try and get some video or something.  Show you how weird I still am.

Dave wrote:And here is level two.  I want it perfect.

I think level two came out nice.  Doesn't have the jimping, after all, though. The second one is my personal EDC. I love it!

Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:01 am

Movement snack, first semi big one in a while.  I think I accidentally killed myself with a "knife" halfway through.    :laugh1:   I don't usually perform those movements with such a blatant focus on speed at all costs.   It's a fun exercise, and has really opened up my shoulders beyond what I thought they were capable.  Even my highly flexible shoulders.

Oh and that was 15x100 pound kettlebell swings in 5 breaths.  Something new I didn't expect to pick up, but it's neat what can be done with the breath once one starts to really play with it.  Rastaman will have much more to say on this I am sure, but I learned I can easily do 25 pushups after blowing out all the air in my lungs.

By the way Chris, have you gotten an elevation training mask yet?  I just outfitted mine for the hardest setting for my ride home last night, and I think I am almost ready for a scenic ride home tonight, including hill repeats.  Did that last week.  Always a blast, but will be even better this time as I have the seat of my new bike dialed in exactly(ish?) where it needs to be, also as of yesterday.

Fitness with efficiency, always ready to go, and economy of muscle.  I'm diggin' it.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:47 pm

Yesterday I brought my new bike in for the complimentary 30 day tune up, and while I waited, I went to the park and did some martial arts conditioning, including dynamic stretching, stance work, plyometric pushups, knuckle pushups, plyometric knuckle pushups, fingertip pushups, three finger pushups, wrestler's bridges, breakfalls, a couple sets of pullups (including a set of 12) and finished off with triburpees.  But not just any triburpees.  I picked a tree with a not so low hanging branch, climbed up it and pruned off the small branches that were in the way with my spyderco endura, jumped back down and performed triburpees at a rest paused single pace.  It was HARD to get up to that branch in the context of a triburpee.  But after one or two failed attempts I was able to make it, and then did at least a dozen or two singles.  Waited a few minutes and banged out a triple at the end, or would have if I have been able to get a hold of the branch on the third rep.

Aside from that I have been riding home at night with the elevation training mask some nights, and without it others.  There is a speed sign close to my street, and I was disappointed it did not register me on the bike a few nights ago, so I turned around and had another go at it, this time at a greater speed and in the middle of the lane.  35 kph.  Meh.  I tried again and got 39.  On my third try I got 43.  I have not really been doing much for my legs lately, other than cycling and a few front squat singles at 205 every day or so.  I suppose I should get into higher reps with those again. I'd like to make that thing say 50 kph.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:49 pm

Loving the knives dave
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:25 pm

Thanks C!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:29 pm

My training only deserves to be called movement snacks lately because I am not doing anything methodical or systematic, but just practicing all the stuff I have learned, and incorporating new stuff into it as I go. Planned sets and reps are gone, and I was never very good at sticking to them anyway.

That's not to say I will never do a cycle of something like 5-3-1 again someday. It may or may not happen. But snacking on movement is fun!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cesar on Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:21 am

Movement is movement. Keeps joints well lubricated and further, gives you time to specialize some and work on specialized skills
Cesar
Unsurpassed
Unsurpassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:58 pm

Walked outside with my sandbag.  Back carry and alternating shoulder carry, level concrete,  200 yards x 10.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:32 pm

Oh and I got that speed meter to read 46 last week
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:32 pm

I can get it to read 35 with minimal acceleration distance.  And, having found a willing partner (finally!)  I have taken up sparring again, and much hitting the bag.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:13 pm

Starting a new log January.
Dave
Admin
Admin