PhysicalCulture.canadian-forum.com
Some parts of the forum are not accessible to non-members, so be sure to join right away!

Post your training log, get involved in challenges, and add to our vault of fitness and physical culture wisdom!

Messages posted on this forum express the opinions of their respective authors and not necessarily those of anyone else. You agree to not hold anyone responsible for the content of any post but the author thereof and anyone who expresses agreement with him or her.

Messages with an attacking, demeaning or slanderous tone are prohibited.

Messages or usernames which promote, evoke or encourage unlawful, lewd or immoral practices are prohibited.

Vulgarities, curses and racial slurs as well as religious blasphemies, curses and exclamations, are offensive and neither pleasant nor welcome.

Copyrighted materials may not be posted without the express approval of the copyright holder, such approval to be displayed along with the content. If you notice material that is copyrighted but no permission is listed with it, you agree to report it to a moderator or to admin.

Post your messages only once. Double posting (this does not refer to accidentally replying twice to a post, but to creating multiple threads with identical content in multiple sections of the forum) is incredibly annoying and double posts will be deleted.

Make an effort on grammar and spelling. Using nothing but SMS-style language or l33t speech (ex: y r u h3re m8?) is unsophisticated, annoying and not welcome!

You accept that messages contravening the listing above may be edited or removed without need for notice and that transgressions deemed severe enough may be met with banning. Be helpful, kind and respectful to one another, and let's keep this community great!

Supplements

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Supplements

Post by Rix on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:18 pm

There doesnt seem to be a supplement section on this forum, unless im blind, which i am prone to being just wondering what supplements people take if they take any at all and what ones they recommend, dont recomment etc etc...
Rix

Back to top Go down

Re: Supplements

Post by Iliander on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:20 pm

I don't take any supplements...
But I'm curious about creatine.
Iliander
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:34 pm

I tried Creatine about half a year ago...increase in strength was a result. I stopped taking it becasue I wanted to progress first without it and then add it later again...what I just did a few days ago. 2 days ago I noticed that I still have half a package...so I'm gonna use this one up. Had the best result with Weider Maximum Krea genic Capsules.

I always took Protein Powder but recently stopped taking it...I don't know why, but I think I still get enough Protein out of my nutrition...it's not uber much but I think around 100g per day and I'm doing fine and still have progress regarding my training.

What's funny is that I just ordered a bunch if supplements a few days ago just to try them out : I ordered Glutamine, BCAAs, ZMA and 2 Workout Booster (Power Fx and Craze Driven Sports.
I ordered the booster actually to test their effect if you take them before studying ( finals ahead -.- ).

I'll post my experiences here and in my log !
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:45 pm

I strongly recommend creatine by my experiences, when i went on mono hydrate 6 week cycle, i got bigger a fair bit, but it was mainly water retention. When i was swimming and taking it my endurance went up and i was able to full out sprint for longer.

Right now i use creatine ethyl ester AKG every now and then, (doesnt require loading due to added ester), and that blows me up during the workout and increases my strength noticeably.
whilst i was gaining mass in the gym and lifting heavy, creatine AKG seemed to be very efficient, i would get a good water pump, then have solid muscles the next day. When i take it, its like being slapped by a iceey hand :shock: proper wakes me up and gets me going, and definatly gives me more endurance during my workouts.

I like it but i currently take half the dose because i dont need all that creatine in me, they like horse pills aswell.. AND YOU HAVE TO DRINK **** LOADS OF WATER other wise you will dehydrate and die, yes die!! haha.

Milk is my best friend. i take protein with BCAA's, but again only half the dose because my diet is good, i eat a lot of lean low fat meats. My favourite things to take daily are vitamins and minerals, mainly vitamin C as it supports weight loss and helps your immune system. I was given Borroca for free at the MH SOTF event and i been using ever since.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:55 pm

Most of the supplements I take are to aid recovery and forestall aging. Alot of these I wouldn't reccomend unless you're over 45.

Fish oil - AM and PM
CoQ10 -AM and PM
Multi vitamin and mineral pack - AM
Acetyl L-Carnatine - AM (on an empty stomach)
Alpha Lipoic Acid - AM
L-glutamine - AM and PM
BCAA - before training and PM
Trebulas - PM
Saw Palmetto - PM

Breakfast is always whey protein in a smoothie with Bannana, Blueberries (brainberries) Greek Yougurt, Carrots and cellery.

If I know I need to train but I'm too worn out from work, I'll take one scoop of Jak3d. But I use it very sparinglly.

Whatever Minor illness crops up during the year I'll treat with herbs.

Last edited by Brahma Bill on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:26 pm

Bill, I also take
Tribulus and Saw Palmetto regularly
For this cold seaon I did some research and decided on these-
http://www.eastearthtrade.com/qinqihuatanwan.aspx
http://www.eastearthtrade.com/cordyceps.aspx
http://www.eastearthtrade.com/buzhongyiqiwan.aspx
The cordyceps works great for fatigue without intefering with sleep.
The last one is more for my wife, I don't have intestinal problems. But it's also good for energy when coming off an illness. I am determined to NOT get sick this year!
itlives
Moderator, Selective Germaphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by musems on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:10 am

itlives wrote:Bill, I also take
The last one is more for my wife, I don't have intestinal problems. But it's also good for energy when coming off an illness. I am determined to NOT get sick this year!

Cordyceps is pretty good. Most of the mushroom/fungus based formulas are good for general immunity/tonifying and mostly safe. There are always exceptions, but in general they are pretty ok. They are one of the few that I recommend in single formula. If I recommend a TCM based herbal, it's usually in a compound formula and preferably raw ingredients as a strong soup/tea (tang).

I try to keep supplements to a minimum, but I do take a protein blend (hemp + brewers yeast). I add cacao powder, chia, and cinnamon to that. Chia works great for energy for me. I'll also add in some Kyo-greens probiotic if I have it.

I use fish oil, and a nice formula from planetary herbals called "avena sativa oat complex for women" or their "dong quai female tonifier." I tend to rotate those. They have similar actions, but the one has more concentrated dong quai and there are times when women should cycle off that.

I tried BCAAs but man those were some humongous horse pills. If I decide to do them again, I'll definitely pick a powder.

Edit: Oh and I do take Vitamin D in the winter (physician recommended- my levels were ridiculously deficient).

musems
Novice
Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:41 am

Rixstar wrote:There doesnt seem to be a supplement section on this forum

There is now! You just created it. ;)
Dave
Admin
Admin

http://physicalculture.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:14 am

Museums- You seem well versed in TCM. I agree with you on the single formula comment.
You should take K2 with your Vit D , it's kind of like the calcium/ magnesium relationship. Or, at least make sure your diet includes lots of k2.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by musems on Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:04 pm

itlives wrote:Museums- You seem well versed in TCM. I agree with you on the single formula comment.
You should take K2 with your Vit D , it's kind of like the calcium/ magnesium relationship. Or, at least make sure your diet includes lots of k2.

itlives I was very fortunate to take a long series of seminars with Alex Tiberi (a really wonderful Acupuncturists and Herbalist) on the classic TCM formula families. There are so many herbal traditions from all over the world and traditions within traditions I know I barely scratched the surface, but Alex's way of simplifying the classic formulas as a kind of alphabet to TCM herbals formulas give me a great foundation. It's been incredibly useful in my personal and professional life.

YES! I just read more about Vitamin K/Vit D. I'm working on getting that in more balance by including more K rich foods.
Thanks!

musems
Novice
Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:01 pm

It's amazing that western medicine has come so far AWAY from doing what it takes to keep one healthy, to treating the symptoms/disease after the fact.

I was always told that in TCM practice, it was the doctors job to keep you healthy. You paid your doctor to keep you well. If you got sick, you didn't have to pay them (if you followed their advice all along). True? IDK But it sounds like a better plan than our current system.

If doctors livelyhood depended on me -
They'd be driving a 41 year old truck like me - :cheers:
They'd need second jobs.
They wouldn't have such a large mortgage.
Their wives wouldn't be so snotty :scratch:
Their kids wouldn't be such bores.... ok I take back the last two, I know some and they aren't all bad.
You get the idea. :bolt:
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:43 pm

There is now! You just created it. ;)

What have i done!! its raging haha :twisted:
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:44 pm

Vitamins and fish oils should be the essentials every day, i also take fish oils, cod liver and omega 3, as i do not want rusted bones in a few decades.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisTG on Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:53 pm

I take ZMA and it has improved my sleep bigtime, I wake up refreshed and feel less tired all day. I highly recommend trying it.

I also take fish oil and vitamin D3. I usually forget about vitamin D in the summer (I work outside) but if I don't take it in the winter I always feel bad. It's not a sudden thing but I will notice that I have been having lots of bad days, and that they started when I started to forget to take my vitamin D.

ChrisTG
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:00 pm

itlives wrote:Bill, I also take

I don't know a whole lot about TCM. My Sister in law has a degree in it and makes here living doing acupuncture. (we're estranged)

For cold season I stick with the old standbys, Elderberry tea, Raw Garlic and Raw white onions. I'm pretty good with the native herbs for what ever ailes you.

I forgot to mention sublingual B-12 in my original post. I only take it if I'm run down, my Bride takes it every day.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:46 pm

Here's a recipe for good health I've already sent a couple of people.
I take it everyday

1 gl. organic apple cider vinegar
1 large white onion
1 large garlic (not elephant)
1 large ginger root
1 chunk of horseradish root (about the size/weight of the others)
4 oz. the hottest pepper you can find
Cut up the roots and pepper into 1" chunks
Put everything into a wide mouth jar (probably tea jar)
Leave some room to be able to shake it up.
Shake it up about 1-2 a day for 2 weeks.
Strain it out into the original vinegar container. Take a couple of droppers full in a glass of water in the AM
It also is good to rid game meat of the "game" two tbs for a pound of meat.
You're welcome :D
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesedogTheFirst on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:04 pm

itlives wrote:Here's a recipe for good health I've already sent a couple of people.
I take it everyday

1 gl. organic apple cider vinegar
1 large white onion
1 large garlic (not elephant)
1 large ginger root
1 chunk of horseradish root (about the size/weight of the others)
4 oz. the hottest pepper you can find
Cut up the roots and pepper into 1" chunks
Put everything into a wide mouth jar (probably tea jar)
Leave some room to be able to shake it up.
Shake it up about 1-2 a day for 2 weeks.
Strain it out into the original vinegar container. Take a couple of droppers full in a glass of water in the AM
It also is good to rid game meat of the "game" two tbs for a pound of meat.
You're welcome :D

That sounds like a fantastic winter tonic that would knock out any cold or flu! Thanks for posting it.

For supplements right now I'm being very thrifty because my wife is still out of work. Right now we are just having a good multi, fishoil, Vitamin D, ground flaxseed, and chromium picolinate.
CheesedogTheFirst
The admindog
The admindog

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:37 am

I take the occasional multi (this is a very new habit). I also take glutamine before and after a hard session. Aside from that I take food.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:33 am

I agree 100% that good food should be your primary source of nutrition.

Mike, I hesitate to bring this up, but do you remember "Jogging in a Jug" :D
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:57 pm

Brahma Bill wrote:

Never heard of it. Enlighten me, please.

Edit- did a search.... it doesn't have any of what my recipe has. I make no claims (LOL!)
Just do a search on the benefits of each ingredient in mine.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:18 am

itlives wrote:
Brahma Bill wrote:

Never heard of it. Enlighten me, please.

Edit- did a search.... it doesn't have any of what my recipe has. I make no claims (LOL!)
Just do a search on the benefits of each ingredient in mine.
I thought you might have run across it in your many trios to the Ozarks. That's the only place I've ever seen or heard of it. Which is suprising since apparently it cures everything :D
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:03 am

Snake oil....

And Eldorado, AR. IS the city of gold :P
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by musems on Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:07 pm

Brahma Bill I'm a great fan of elderberry. It's what I reach for most if it's something respiratory.

Itlives, that's an awesome recipe!

Agreed, quality food is where it's at. A friend of mine once told me his grandmother always prescribed one apple, one banana, and one orange at the first sign of a cold.

musems
Novice
Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:15 pm

musems wrote:A friend of mine once told me his grandmother always prescribed one apple, one banana, and one orange at the first sign of a cold.

Lots of good nutrients and vitamins there, that's for sure. A lot of sugar though, which would be better avoided if possible at the first sign of being sick.

Actually there's a lot to be said for starving an illness (for a day or two). The immune system is free to work harder when the body's resources are not being tied up with the digestive process. Eat your chicken soup broth or drink your green tea, etc.
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by musems on Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:14 pm

Dave.cyco wrote:
musems wrote:A friend of mine once told me his grandmother always prescribed one apple, one banana, and one orange at the first sign of a cold.

Lots of good nutrients and vitamins there, that's for sure. A lot of sugar though, which would be better avoided if possible at the first sign of being sick.

Actually there's a lot to be said for starving an illness (for a day or two). The immune system is free to work harder when the body's resources are not being tied up with the digestive process. Eat your chicken soup broth or drink your green tea, etc.

True! I'd leave out the bananas especially, but apples and kale thrown in a blender with some ginger and garlic will kill just about anything- not really, but it's a pretty good tonic.

musems
Novice
Novice

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:51 pm

Easy on the digestive system and LOADED with everything a body needs. Good call!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:22 pm

Raw, fresh or fermented seems to be what is first up to bat.
We've been given all we need to live a good life. Learning from those that have already traveled the road is best.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by 1zuppi86 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:10 pm

Are creatine and mono-hydrate the same thing?
What will happen if at some point I stop taking creatine? Do I lose everything I gained? (strength, volume, etc.)

1zuppi86
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:14 pm

Creatine IS technically creatine monohydrate. So, yes. No, you won't. If it is actually benefiting you, you may see a slight decline in performance initially, but that's about it. I stopped taking creatine and there hasn't been any decrement in my performance. Then again, I'm a non-responder so that could be why.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by 1zuppi86 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:21 pm

What's a non-responder? I figure it doesn't affect you at all. If that's the case, did you try other brands of creatine?

1zuppi86
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:21 pm

You got it right.

And no I didn't. I bought it from a very reputable brand, and, anyway, creatine monohydrate is creatine monohydrate. Not much, if any, difference in brands.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by 1zuppi86 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:28 pm

Maybe, but I wouldn't doubt if some companies market a product under a certain name when in fact it's something different. Like this company that pretended to sell veal, when it was really horse meat.

1zuppi86
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:10 am

Wholly c- I mean wholly horse! Did they end up in a lawsuit??
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1zuppi86 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:44 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21467989

It's all there. This is why I don't trust vendors anymore. They're so bent on making money that they would lie to their clientele. I've started double checking everything that I buy now, down to toilet paper.

1zuppi86
Initiate
Initiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:47 am

hahahaa you from the UK 1zuppi86? All our "beef burgers" and ready made lasagnes have had reports for up to 98% horse meat hahaha. nothing wrong with a bit of horse. It goes back to a supplier in europe claiming their meats accidently got mixed together.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:08 am

I remember when one of Bissen's horses was ailing, She mentioned something about "not wasting" it.
I asked her if eating horse was common over there. Yes, she said it is standard fare.
I think it's just good to not waste.
We eat squirrel, rabbit, nutria, turtle, snake, crawfish, alligator and wild pigs over here.
Protein is protein.

Last edited by itlives on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:28 am

itlives wrote:
We eat squirrel, rabbit, nutria, turtle, snake, crawfish, alligator and wild pigs over here.
Protein is protein.

Well said
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:14 pm

Yeah, and if you're REALLY concerned, zuppi, just ask for the batch number/ label. That's what I do. If they're not shady, they'll send it to you or post it on the website itself and it'll tell you how it holds up to whatever the governmental standards are, % purity, what's ACTUALLY in it, all that jazz.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:54 pm

I've also had anaconda, emu and elan.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh T. on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:55 pm

I've personally always wanted to try ostrich. I've tried rattlesnake as well, and thought it was pretty good.
Josh T.
Young Gun
Young Gun

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:59 pm

I have been told ostrich and emu are pretty much the same. I haven't had rattlesnake or ostrich- yet.
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:00 pm

lets go hunting
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by tilles on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:04 pm

I ate a lot of ostrich the time I've been to South Africa - yuummmmmy :eat1:
And seriously I don't get all the **** about the horse meat 'scandal'...people are not pissed off because of the fact that the meat was wrong labeld, they arw rather upset that there was horse meat in it. And whats the big deal? Meat is meat. If you're are able to eat a cow,pig or hcicken you should be able to eat a horse!
Btw I ate horse once and it tastes great!
tilles
Elite
Elite

Back to top Go down

Post by Rix on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:06 pm

Apperently it has more protein, less fat and is healthier haha, just people are put off coz they ride see horses as companions, i just found a new healthy protein post workout meal.
Rix

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:39 pm

Some people (ME) don't like certain meats because of added growth hormones, vaccinations or anti-biotics given to most animals raised on "meat farms" otherwise known as CAFO's -confined animal feeding organizations.
Anti-biotics and vaccinations are common in horses.
Wild meat or grass fed animals is best. Lean and clean -just like WE want to be. You are what you eat.
Right now I've got wild hog, deer and rainbow trout in my freezer. I don't always have it, but get it when I can!
See 98poundweakling's sigline for simple advice!
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:25 pm

itlives wrote:We eat squirrel, rabbit, nutria, turtle, snake, crawfish, alligator and wild pigs over here.
Protein is protein.

QOTM!!!
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:53 pm

itlives wrote:We eat squirrel, rabbit, nutria, turtle, snake, crawfish, alligator and wild pigs over here. Protein is protein.

:idea2: Do you eat bugs? If protein is protein... ;)
Dave
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by itlives on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:37 pm

:nod:
I have eaten chocolate covered grasshoppers before. It was just a novelty thing ;) I ought to mention, in the list of animals I wrote, I have not had nutria yet. All the others I have. Nutria is more a south Louisiana thing.

I just got through reading the "kosher" bugs (and animals) part in the Bible!
Funny you should ask that question right now! :up:
itlives

Back to top Go down

Post by Brahma Bill on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:45 pm

I've had everything on your list except Nutria. I don't think I'll ever be THAT hungry. Might as well eat a roof rat.
Brahma Bill
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Rastaman on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:13 pm

We eat Kangaroo once a week.

High in protein, very lean and great source of omega3.

Great on the barbie!
Rastaman
Incredible
Incredible

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top